SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC430 Owner Repair Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 06:42 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
That is a very valid point and I was concerned about the resistor heat also.

The stereo was turned up about 3/4 of the way to max volume for about 30min, every 10 min I felt the resistor. The resistor stayed cool to slightly warm the whole time.

This resistor is rated at 50watts but I believe the ML amp will push 25watts Max to the mids and 12.5watts is nominal.

I hate to burst you guys bubble but you would fry a speaker at 12.5 watts nominal. You have to understand the decibel relationship. But, to your point, a 50 watt resistor should be fine in your situation. Just to give you a little perspective. It is not at all uncommon to have a 10dB peak. 10dB is 100 times the power. That would be 1250 watts in the peaks if you are operating at 12.5 nominal. The amp and the speaker will not do that. It is more likely that you will have 25 watt peaks.
Old 03-06-15, 01:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I hate to burst you guys bubble but you would fry a speaker at 12.5 watts nominal. You have to understand the decibel relationship. But, to your point, a 50 watt resistor should be fine in your situation. Just to give you a little perspective. It is not at all uncommon to have a 10dB peak. 10dB is 100 times the power. That would be 1250 watts in the peaks if you are operating at 12.5 nominal. The amp and the speaker will not do that. It is more likely that you will have 25 watt peaks.
No bubble has burst over here...Just the opposite actually, the system sounds great now and my wife is happy because her car runs good and the ML plays with no blown speakers and no distortion.
As for power, I was going from this chart but if I misread or did not quote it correctly, will you please correct and educate me!

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-06-15 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 05:52 AM
iolmaster
Racer

First, I have to correct myself. 10dB is not 100 times the power, it is 10 times the power. Still, the small mid range speaker will not handle 125 watts. I am not sure what value they are referring to with the 12.5. The 25 watt max makes sense. The only thing I can think of is that it is better to not exceed 12.5 watts often. This does not mean that you can feed it 12.5 watts continuously. Even a home theater system is very loud with 12.5 watts continuous. Speaker ratings are always confusing. Even in home theater, it is difficult to compare speaker capabilities because the manufacturers tend to hype the specs to satisfy the marketing dept.
Old 03-06-15, 06:09 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting Geeky calculator for audio power.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcula...lification.htm
Old 03-06-15, 07:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by rudyH
Interesting Geeky calculator for audio power.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcula...lification.htm
Geez does that bring back memories. I haven't seen those equations since my days at NC State in the early 70s. Good find. I was ashamed of myself for stating 10dB was 100 times the power. Especially after spending a number of years in the audio industry after graduation.
Old 03-06-15, 07:45 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Geez does that bring back memories. I haven't seen those equations since my days at NC State in the early 70s. Good find. I was ashamed of myself for stating 10dB was 100 times the power. Especially after spending a number of years in the audio industry after graduation.
Sometimes, we can know so much about a subject, the data blurs. I am the poster child for the phenomenon. Well, poster child for the "blur" part anyway.
Old 03-18-15, 05:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Now it is time to install the new
timing belt
Tensioner,
idler pully
tensioner pulley
water pump
thermostat,
upper and lowers hoses
Serpentine belt
And possibly spark plugs valve cover gaskets and transmission filter.

My son and I will start in the morning
Here is a pic of the homemade crankshaft holder we built and a pic of some of the parts...

Old 03-19-15, 10:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Best of luck (and skills)!
Old 06-05-15, 11:55 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Helllo everyone: please some help with my 06 SC430 silver/black 48k at purchase and now 60k miles (my only child and i will be buried in the sob..70 yr old): no dealer in area so i have had oil change at local toyota dealer... i have had the car about 2 yrs and changed the oil 4 times ..i dont drive much... the last change ..the invoice showed 8 quarts plus filter... i didnt see this till later..i put 30 miles on the car after this snafu..next i see my garage floor has a large oil spot ...back to toyota ..on the rack they claim the gasket on drain plug cracked... ..after changing gasket on drin plug the technician? brought the dipstick into the service managers office as we were having a few words (they will forever remember me)... it showed the oil level at the top of mark...engine was somewhat warm... drove car home about 5 miles... let it cool down overnight...dip stick showed slightly over full... so lets see... leak on floor plus they had to take drain plug out so that lost a little oil ... now the dipstick shows slightly over full... is this damaging engine... what would you do re the extra oil that is still in engine...oh they did give me card for free oil change... just checked the oil cold and it was above full mark approx 3/16"....like the manual started car ..reached operating temperature...waited 30 minutes and dip stick shows about the same...any suggestions..similiar situations ... stories ... greatly appreciated...

poetry in motion...
Old 06-05-15, 08:25 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry about your dilemma, but being a little lower than full is better than being over full, the extra volume adds more pressure to seals etc which in your case is 8 years old.
Old 06-06-15, 01:48 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I am guessing, 3/16 over the full line might be about 1/2 quart too much. You could take it back again and ask them to drain a little more oil...that is what I would do.

When I do oil changes, the SC receives 5.5qts. That amount puts the oil level just below the full mark. Remember this number, 5.5qts. (or in my case, I write it down because I will forget) and remind them at the next oil change.

This is my opinion...Did too much oil hurt anything, probably not...did they do this on purpose, probably not. Would I be mad, yes, but it sounds like they tried to rectify their mistake with a free oil change.

One thing I would ask them or someone you trust turning wrenches on this car to do is, check the valve cover bolts. When I purchased my SC, the valve covers were leaking oil. I checked the valve cover bolts and they are loose. I tightened them down to about 12ft/lbs of torque and the leaks stopped. My car had 63k miles when I made the purchase. I believe the valve cover gaskets shrink or contract over time which gives the impression that the bolts loosened up.

Originally Posted by pynky01
Helllo everyone: please some help with my 06 SC430 silver/black 48k at purchase and now 60k miles (my only child and i will be buried in the sob..70 yr old): no dealer in area so i have had oil change at local toyota dealer... i have had the car about 2 yrs and changed the oil 4 times ..i dont drive much... the last change ..the invoice showed 8 quarts plus filter... i didnt see this till later..i put 30 miles on the car after this snafu..next i see my garage floor has a large oil spot ...back to toyota ..on the rack they claim the gasket on drain plug cracked... ..after changing gasket on drin plug the technician? brought the dipstick into the service managers office as we were having a few words (they will forever remember me)... it showed the oil level at the top of mark...engine was somewhat warm... drove car home about 5 miles... let it cool down overnight...dip stick showed slightly over full... so lets see... leak on floor plus they had to take drain plug out so that lost a little oil ... now the dipstick shows slightly over full... is this damaging engine... what would you do re the extra oil that is still in engine...oh they did give me card for free oil change... just checked the oil cold and it was above full mark approx 3/16"....like the manual started car ..reached operating temperature...waited 30 minutes and dip stick shows about the same...any suggestions..similiar situations ... stories ... greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-06-15 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 08:44 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Thank you both.. the service mgr did say to drive it 200 miles and bring it back in and they would put it on rack and take me back to look at it myself... i am goin for cat litter to soak up the oil...peace and may your herds increase..

...museum quality...
Old 06-06-15, 10:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pynky01
Thank you both.. the service mgr did say to drive it 200 miles and bring it back in and they would put it on rack and take me back to look at it myself... i am goin for cat litter to soak up the oil...peace and may your herds increase..
...museum quality...
Are you still leaking oil? If so, it may be coming from some other source since they just replaced the gasket on the drainplug.
Old 06-09-15, 05:53 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi BGW70

Wow , I see you got the I Ink pearl as well
Hey how do you wash your car ? Do you have any
Rock chips on the hood ? Those show up unlike other colors
I came from a gold SC and love this color but boy , it is hard to keep clean

I just got my SC 03 with 27K miles ( clean car fax , 1 owner , lexus
Inspected and all check d out )

I got to do the TBelt

Old 06-09-15, 09:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This is a very nice color and yes, it can be a challenge keeping the dirt off. Not as bad as black.

We usually take it to a nice car wash that does a nice job but will not scratch the paint. The paint on this car is not perfect and that is why I will take it to a carwash. Now my other toy has a perfect paint job and I only hand wash that one...it will never go to a carwash.

Congratulations on you new toy!!! 27k miles is brand new! I am glad you found one so nice and one owner! Technically, I am the third owner, but the first owner only had it for 7k miles and a few months. The second owner had the car for a very long time but was not very good with fixing things. The car had several small items that required attention and everything is 100% now.

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Hi BGW70

Wow , I see you got the I Ink pearl as well
Hey how do you wash your car ? Do you have any
Rock chips on the hood ? Those show up unlike other colors
I came from a gold SC and love this color but boy , it is hard to keep clean

I just got my SC 03 with 27K miles ( clean car fax , 1 owner , lexus
Inspected and all check d out )

I got to do the TBelt

Quick Reply: New SC430 Owner Repair Thread