SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Moog end link advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 03:21 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Moog end link advice

Recently I installed Moog end links in the front. Now I am getting "clanking" noises from the new end links.

A quick search on CL showed that others have also had this problem. One remedy some have used is overtightening the links.

Does anyone have experience with end links making noise? Is this just a making of additional torque needed? Should I go back to oem?
Old 02-03-15, 10:28 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

hmm.. I just got some moog end links for the front and back. Haven't put them on but I hope it doesn't clank and I hope your problem gets sorted out. I'll have to read about this..
Old 02-04-15, 05:39 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know what you find. The clunking is terrible!
Old 02-04-15, 08:11 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

So I may have figure out the phantom noises coming from my end links. I called the tech support for moog, and they said if my guy at merchants used an impact wrench to install the end links they would become damaged..
Old 02-04-15, 09:51 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
So I may have figure out the phantom noises coming from my end links. I called the tech support for moog, and they said if my guy at merchants used an impact wrench to install the end links they would become damaged..
If he did then you will know why the new equipment prematurely failed! Unfortunately, it is so important to stand there and watch the gorillas work on your car these days. They know all the shortcuts to complete the job faster. Time is money you know!

There are still good mechanics out there but many times they are pressured to produce more units vs. producing quality units.

In your case, I hope you are not in a situation where something is ready to actually separate.
If they are a reputable place, they will own up to the error and not charge you for the replacement parts and labor.
Old 02-04-15, 09:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure if this is the store you use but you may want to read this about Merchants.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...tire_auto.html

Here is a comment that is close to home for you:
This entire corporation is out of touch with reality. They hire incompetent people for safety related repairs. Once I left with my 30 years of experience they had two "technicians" left with a combined 1 year experience. These are the people taking your life into their hands when replacing a tie rod or ball joint. I have sent multiple emails to the TBC Corporation regarding this matter with no response. An engine blowing up is one thing, however replacing steering and suspension components is something else… Always check out any "technician" working on your vehicle.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-04-15 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 10:07 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Not sure if you a garage or not but most suspension parts replacements you can do yourself if you have the proper tools... End links, tie rods, ball joints, UCA, and S/S can be done by you or with a buddy... I've done a few things but other areas i will not touch and the SC430 and 2Gen GS models resemble each other closely in the suspension area..

Its hard to swallow when mechanics are charging $100hr for half a$$ work that is rushed and could cause problems down the road...
Old 02-04-15, 10:34 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Not sure if you a garage or not but most suspension parts replacements you can do yourself if you have the proper tools... End links, tie rods, ball joints, UCA, and S/S can be done by you or with a buddy... I've done a few things but other areas i will not touch and the SC430 and 2Gen GS models resemble each other closely in the suspension area..

Its hard to swallow when mechanics are charging $100hr for half a$$ work that is rushed and could cause problems down the road...
If that was directed at me, I agree with you 100%. I sit at a desk all week but get my hands dirty on the weekends. I love working on cars, I enjoy the satisfaction of driving the vehicle after my work and knowing the work was performed correctly.

And when I do find a missing bolt, I can only laugh at myself!

I knew very little about cars until the age of 23, then I began to go to the library (before youtube) and read, go home and practice on my beaters, finally rebuilt my 1969 ford Torino GT, BB 390cu and just went from there. 27yrs later...it is still fun!

I must say Toyotas and Hondas are built very well and in most cases very easy to work on! IMO

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-04-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 12:21 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
If that was directed at me, I agree with you 100%. I sit at a desk all week but get my hands dirty on the weekends. I love working on cars, I enjoy the satisfaction of driving the vehicle after my work and knowing the work was performed correctly.

And when I do find a missing bolt, I can only laugh at myself!

I knew very little about cars until the age of 23, then I began to go to the library (before youtube) and read, go home and practice on my beaters, finally rebuilt my 1969 ford Torino GT, BB 390cu and just went from there. 27yrs later...it is still fun!

I must say Toyotas and Hondas are built very well and in most cases very easy to work on! IMO
yes that was directed towards you lol... I hope that didn't sound rude at all but i've done balljoints, upper control arms myself and never thought i would do something like that... all thanks to people before me creating the DIY's...

some these guys can do complete engine swaps in there garage without thinking twice.... i wish i could do that....
Old 02-04-15, 11:30 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

sorry Lex, where did you get the moog end links from? Advanced, o'riellys etc have a life time warranty on those parts.
Old 02-05-15, 06:57 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
checked I do have the Moog gs300 links to go with my 28.6 bar.
Old 02-05-15, 07:58 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
lex
checked I do have the Moog gs300 links to go with my 28.6 bar.
Really?? Did you install them yourself? What what the torque spec? 30-35 pounds? I don't know whether the links are defective, over torqued, under torqued, or the sound is something else.

I have read on CL that others have had this problem with clunking noises with moog..

But the sound is coming right from the end link area and I have had two guys look at it and everything seems tight.

So frustrating..
Old 02-05-15, 08:26 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when I install them with the 28.6 bar boiled them in next the bar done. have had no problem since.
Old 02-07-15, 02:49 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

LexBrett, any updates on your situation?
Old 02-07-15, 11:26 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to install the darn end links myself with the exact correct torque and will take back the defective links. Haven't gotten to it yet, maybe this weekend if weather and time permit. Will let you all know!!

Quick Reply: Moog end link advice