SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

water in the trunk sc 430 /04

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 10:46 AM
hibrow60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question water in the trunk sc 430 /04

hi keep finding a small puddle in the drivers side corner of the trunk no where else just in this removable pocket
under it is a flap type of thing which goes into the inner rear wing is that for ventilation
could water get in from there
can't find any drips from the trunk lid all the seals look mint
anybody any ideas
Old 01-23-15, 12:22 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the trunk. Everytime I get a car wash I get a little water too. But I also routed wires through the plug for my backup camera, so there is a little space. But might check out the plug and see if that's the problem
Old 01-24-15, 11:34 PM
hibrow60
Driver School Candidate

hi lexbrett thanks for the info will do some investigation its really hacking me off, not had the car long
but absolutely love it, she's white apparently only 5 in England of this colour cream interior with yellow wood dash
Old 01-25-15, 09:21 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Glad you like your sc! How is the ride quality? How do you like the acceleration? There are lots of amazing tips on this forum to improve both.

The drain plug is way down at the bottom if the truck under the oem tool and jack. Let me know how it goes!
Old 01-25-15, 11:39 PM
hibrow60
Driver School Candidate

Default lex bret

thanks for your help
i found it its coming from the rear tail light running down the inner wall of the trunk
where you can't see it and ending up in the inner wing but on its way its leaving
a small amount in the side pocket well saw the plug you were on about with the bung
for the rear censer that not where the problem is

driving
she dosent get driven every day but i do try to take her out twice a week(more than
my partner Babs lol) i found before when i had a merc sl things started to go wrong i.e. battery going flat windows sticking brakes grabbing and the like
what tyres have you got on yours these are run flats but the guy had the censors switched off or removed a they were playing up

she very economical for a car with sutch a big engine around the villages
geting 24 to 29 mpg and 35 to 39 on the highway and gas has come down dramatically
here seems like our partnership was meant to be for a while any way
jut hope our government don't ruin it with uping the tax

got any tips Bret?
Old 10-07-15, 08:08 AM
MrVancey
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is usually in the garage and I rarely drive it in rainy weather. However, it was outside recently for several days during which we got over 4" of rain. A few days later, I noticed some moisture on the side shelves. After removing the shelves I found standing water underneath the left side, but the right side had probably an inch laying in the bottom.

I found a little bit of water in the small tray on the upper right side of the trunk, near where the top and trunk meet. I though maybe the drain itself was clogged so used an air compressor to blow into it, but it didn't have a tight seal and I didn't see anything under the car afterwards.

After checking this post, I removed the tool shelf, there was some dampness near the bottom seal, but no standing water, and the seals looked to be in good condition.

Does anyone know where the drains to the small trays on the upper sides of the trunk empty out to? Or how I might be able to make sure the drains are open? I would sure hate to have to spend a weekend taking all the trunk panels off to find it to be sure it is draining correctly.

Thanks for your help

Left side upper drain

Right side upper drain

Arrow shoes where I found about an inch of water
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 10-07-15, 09:20 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrVancey
My car is usually in the garage and I rarely drive it in rainy weather. However, it was outside recently for several days during which we got over 4" of rain. A few days later, I noticed some moisture on the side shelves. After removing the shelves I found standing water underneath the left side, but the right side had probably an inch laying in the bottom.

I found a little bit of water in the small tray on the upper right side of the trunk, near where the top and trunk meet. I though maybe the drain itself was clogged so used an air compressor to blow into it, but it didn't have a tight seal and I didn't see anything under the car afterwards.

After checking this post, I removed the tool shelf, there was some dampness near the bottom seal, but no standing water, and the seals looked to be in good condition.

Does anyone know where the drains to the small trays on the upper sides of the trunk empty out to? Or how I might be able to make sure the drains are open? I would sure hate to have to spend a weekend taking all the trunk panels off to find it to be sure it is draining correctly.

Thanks for your help

Left side upper drain

Right side upper drain

Arrow shoes where I found about an inch of water
This summer installed naviks GPS and had to disassemble entire trunk lining. The reservoirs you indicate in pics do indeed have a drain valve that empty and lead to bottom of car. The valve is white, plastic, and about 3/8". If you follow the reservoir you should find the valve. It is probably misplaced or out of place reroute get water in your trunk. Worst case scenario you will have to take out the lining, it is a pain, but doable, and in that case you can't miss the valve..
Old 10-08-15, 08:15 PM
MrVancey
Rookie

Thank much, LexBrett, for the suggestions.

Decided to do what you said and took out almost all the linings on the right side of the trunk. Finally got out the drain line which had a nice little 90* kink in it about 8" past the connecting point.. Went to my local hardware store but they had nothing flexible that would work as a replacement. The CSR suggested I cut the line and install a plastic splice. Did that, it worked perfectly (and added a little trap just as a precaution against it coming apart). I reconnected the plastic tray and poured water in it to be sure it drained ok before re-installing. I'll wash the car in a couple day and check the trunk for water. Hopefully I won't find any!
Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 10-09-15, 03:07 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Good detective work!

Was it only the right side or were both showing signs of water?
Old 10-09-15, 07:30 PM
MrVancey
Rookie

Right side only. Left was ok.
Old 10-09-15, 07:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Let us know how your "leak test" goes! I'm hoping that you got it resolved.
Old 11-20-15, 01:47 PM
MrVancey
Rookie

Sorry for the delay in updating this. No real long heavy rains lately, so took it to a local "brushless" car wash today. Thought maybe the high pressure would help to see if any leaks and if so, the water would go into the fixed drain.

After the car wash, checked the trunk... it's dry and so are the drainage areas. Guess I got it fixed.

Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 11-20-15, 02:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Great, congratulations.