SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Glovebox and floor lighting

Old 01-10-15, 05:01 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glovebox and floor lighting

I recently purchased a bunch of bulbs from jDMToy and have been very happy with the stronger light. I have replaced the map lights, vanity lights, puddle lights, glovebox light, and floor lights. Everything I got was a warm white with the exception of the glovebox and the floor lighting. The glovebox is fine, but the floor lights are way to white for me, but again I do light the brighter light.

Here are the lights I was looking at on their site: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=t5

Do you know if there are any LEDs that will fit the lights for the floor and the glovebox that are the warm white versus the white light?

I did some searches but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Old 01-11-15, 11:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

What kind of bulbs are required for the glovebox and footwell?
Old 01-11-15, 02:01 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The footwell light is T5 bulb for sure, the glove box is 37 bulb which I think is T5 bulb as well.
Old 01-11-15, 03:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2004 gx 470 as well as a 2005 sc430/ On my GX i wanted to change the foot well bulbs to a led strip. Got the strip and come to find out the voltage at the foot well bulb is 6 volt. This is normal and the foot well bulbs are just faint.and are intended to be on 6 volt

I am wondering if the foot well on my sc430 is also 6 volt. I was going to add the led strip to the sc430. But if its six voltI will have to find anotehr power source thats hot all the time and then trigger the foot lights with the neg wire from the oem foot well bulbs. I have to check and see if the voltage is 6 or 12 volt
Old 01-11-15, 04:11 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

ebay has several T5 warm white LEDs for sale, including the 37 compatible ones.

That is interesting mrblister that the GX foot well bulbs were driven with 6V. Most likely that was to mute the light so it wouldn't be so bright shining directly up into the person's face. I'm not sure if you'll find any 6V LED versions. I didn't see any on a quick search.
Old 01-11-15, 04:19 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
ebay has several T5 warm white LEDs for sale, including the 37 compatible ones.

That is interesting mrblister that the GX foot well bulbs were driven with 6V. Most likely that was to mute the light so it wouldn't be so bright shining directly up into the person's face. I'm not sure if you'll find any 6V LED versions. I didn't see any on a quick search.
The foot well bulbs point down and are a faint greenish glow. When you open the passenger door it illuminates when you close the door it will stay lit untill you shift truck into gear . Drivers side works the same. The light is so dim if you dropped a dime on the floor you would have trouble finding it
Old 01-11-15, 06:22 PM
Caseoane
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have a 2004 gx 470 as well as a 2005 sc430/ On my GX i wanted to change the foot well bulbs to a led strip. Got the strip and come to find out the voltage at the foot well bulb is 6 volt. This is normal and the foot well bulbs are just faint.and are intended to be on 6 volt

I am wondering if the foot well on my sc430 is also 6 volt. I was going to add the led strip to the sc430. But if its six voltI will have to find anotehr power source thats hot all the time and then trigger the foot lights with the neg wire from the oem foot well bulbs. I have to check and see if the voltage is 6 or 12 volt
Mrblister - they are 12V. I Bought some T5s and they light up ok. They weren't, however, bright enough for me, so I ended up mcgivering a 194 LED (same as the side markers) into the socket. Much better now!
Old 01-11-15, 06:29 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Caseoane
Mrblister - they are 12V. I Bought some T5s and they light up ok. They weren't, however, bright enough for me, so I ended up mcgivering a 194 LED (same as the side markers) into the socket. Much better now!
Good to know, Now i will install the led strip and be able to see the floor
Old 01-12-15, 02:15 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks, that's great info
Old 01-12-15, 06:46 AM
Caseoane
Driver

One more thing: the T5s I bought (JTech's from
Amazon Amazon
) don't really fit into the socket. I had to trim the plastic with a cutter to make them go in. It took a while, and I broke 2 or 3 when I cut the (very thin) cable by mistake.

After about an hour of fighting them, I managed to get one in... only to be really disappointed by how dim it was and soldering a couple of cables to hook up a 198 LED...oh well...
Old 01-12-15, 06:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

One more thing: the T5s I bought (JTech's from Amazon) don't really fit into the socket. I had to trim the plastic with a cutter to make them go in. It took a while, and I broke 2 or 3 when I cut the (very thin) cable by mistake.

After about an hour of fighting them, I managed to get one in... only to be really disappointed by how dim it was and soldering a couple of cables to hook up a 198 LED...oh well...
am using a surface mount low profile strip of LED "s They are bright and will do what I want them to do. I plan to mount them on the lower panel trim facing down with 3 m tape drill a small hole for the 2 wires and then positap them into the original foot well bulb harness so both will work
Old 01-12-15, 10:14 AM
Caseoane
Driver

am using a surface mount low profile strip of LED "s They are bright and will do what I want them to do. I plan to mount them on the lower panel trim facing down with 3 m tape drill a small hole for the 2 wires and then positap them into the original foot well bulb harness so both will work
I like that idea. Can you post pics when you are done? Which strips will you be installing to make sure that it's bright but not blinding?
Old 01-12-15, 10:41 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I like that idea. Can you post pics when you are done? Which strips will you be installing to make sure that it's bright but not blinding?
I wont do this until weather warms up. I bought mine at the following :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181625555163?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-12-15, 12:04 PM
Caseoane
Driver

I wont do this until weather warms up. I bought mine at the following :

JDM 1pair Kia Land Rover Lexus Lincoln COB White LED Day Time Running LIGHTJ1935 | eBay
Oh, I have a pair of those (was thinking of using them for DRL, then decided against it), they are REALLY bright. Like really, really, really bright! :-)
Old 01-12-15, 12:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Oh, I have a pair of those (was thinking of using them for DRL, then decided against it), they are REALLY bright. Like really, really, really bright! :-)
I know they are bright. I am tired of opening the doors and cant see . Since there only on while the door is open I am cool with the light

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glovebox and floor lighting