SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mod Binge- Cusco Bar too?

Old 03-26-15, 11:53 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Would you be amenable to a results with a 95% confidence interval? In that case I will run my Monte Carlo simulation and give you a result (range in which ride quality changes).
Old 03-26-15, 11:57 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

new bolts- great idea!

Looked nice, but I could slightly bend it with just my arms and not putting it over my knee. The real issue was the cheap alien bolts it came with and the fact that the space between the tabs was a little too much so you really had to crank down on the bolts to "lock" the bar in place.
The second time I removed it (to change spark plugs I belive) bolt snapped upon loosening! Easy fix tho, I went to Lowes and bought the largest grade 8 bolts that would fit the holes also one washer for each side and I could now crank those bolts to like 75 ft pounds with no complaints from the hardware!

I recommend if any of you do buy the Cusco bar, go down to Lowe's and spend a whole $3.50 on some VASTLY SUPERIOR bolts and though away the chinsy little alien bolts it come wit![/QUOTE]
Old 03-26-15, 01:58 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to drop a peg or two through the bolt and crossmember. I have to see it when it gets here. Yeah, you'd have to line up the hole(s) every time you put the bolt back, but that's not a big deal. Better bolts never hurt either.
Originally Posted by LexBrett
new bolts- great idea!

Looked nice, but I could slightly bend it with just my arms and not putting it over my knee. The real issue was the cheap alien bolts it came with and the fact that the space between the tabs was a little too much so you really had to crank down on the bolts to "lock" the bar in place.
The second time I removed it (to change spark plugs I belive) bolt snapped upon loosening! Easy fix tho, I went to Lowes and bought the largest grade 8 bolts that would fit the holes also one washer for each side and I could now crank those bolts to like 75 ft pounds with no complaints from the hardware!

I recommend if any of you do buy the Cusco bar, go down to Lowe's and spend a whole $3.50 on some VASTLY SUPERIOR bolts and though away the chinsy little alien bolts it come wit!
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-26-15, 02:02 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mademedoit
There is ghetto way of testing rigidity buy trying to measure the deflection of the body buy lifting it up at a corner. Computer software does this when they design new cars.

At the very least could make the car more safe in a front accident?

Here is a good read for you... http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...e-Chassis.aspx
No that's not ghetto that's science! Anyone who has ever changed a tire on a convertible might have encountered a door that either wouldn't latch in the opening when jacked up, or wouldn't close at all because of chassis flex. I've been driving for 42+ years so I'm going to use the seat of my pants while driving to judge the improvement.
Old 03-26-15, 03:36 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
Are you a lawyer Brett? I had to look up "amenable". Being non-religious, no I would not consider myself amenable. And in the context of your question, I don't know should make a small positive difference in both ride and handling. From factory car feels stiffer than both my previous cars so I personally am not in a hurry to do this mod. But I hope you enjoy and report back. A good pic might be cool too.
Your post cracked me up :-)
Actually I'm a professional economist.

Definition of amenable: Ready to consent; agreeable.
Are you amenable to a change in schedule?
Old 03-26-15, 03:39 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Cusco update

Drove home today with the cusco and ride seemed more controlled and smooth. Maybe it is a placebo effect. Either way I paid 200 dollars and my car feels more smooth.

In terms of the scratched chrome coating, I just put carbon fiber sticky material on it, and the bar looks great!! It went right on the bar no problems and no creases or bubbles. Problem solved! Will post pic tomorrow!
Old 03-28-15, 04:33 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I paid close to $180 and it arrived 3 days after confirmation of order (not after you sent the order). I saw the departure stamp from Japan and arrival in the US. Technically 1 day, since Japan was almost a day ahead.
Hey mandy do you mind if ask, where did you order your tower bar from? Was it Mathieu Devert and I presume you have it on your car now and if so what score would you give it. I am thinking about ordering from him and it sounds like you got really good delivery from Japan. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-15, 06:34 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes it was Mathieu Devert. It came quickly after the order was placed. Yes there is an improvement on the handling more so when the top is down.
Old 03-30-15, 08:02 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Yes it was Mathieu Devert. It came quickly after the order was placed. Yes there is an improvement on the handling more so when the top is down.
Ok thanks Mandy
Old 03-31-15, 06:06 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid close to $180 and it arrived 3 days after confirmation of order (not after you sent the order). I saw the departure stamp from Japan and arrival in the US. Technically 1 day, since Japan was almost a day ahead.
Mandyfig, can you kindly post the link where you order this product, thanks in advance... Roy
Old 03-31-15, 08:23 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Roy - are you talking about the Cusco 188 540 A UZZ40 bar? If so, I ordered mine from FRSport.com. Roughly $180 + free shipping and I had it within a week.

My only dealing with this company but they were very professional and helpful on the phone.
Old 03-31-15, 08:57 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bilque
Roy - are you talking about the Cusco 188 540 A UZZ40 bar? If so, I ordered mine from FRSport.com. Roughly $180 + free shipping and I had it within a week.

My only dealing with this company but they were very professional and helpful on the phone.
Have you installed it yet? Do you notice a difference?
Old 03-31-15, 09:17 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Originally Posted by Bilque

Yep thanks Bilque, Jesus! now I'm looking at Carbing also...
Old 03-31-15, 11:00 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nova
I have Carbing STB it also dose things when braking. it is a great bar but you must remove the bar to remove the cover to me no big deal.

Last edited by bacardi11; 03-31-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 11:30 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
nova
I have Carbing STB it also dose things when braking. it is a great bar but you must remove the bar to remove the cover to me no big deal.
Thanks Gene... we have owned our SC for 8 years now and I have never removed the cover, ha ha the dealer has

I'm probably going to get the Carbing than the Cusco just simply for the reason of listening to you guys exchanging knowledges and comments about the two brands

Roy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mod Binge- Cusco Bar too?