SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mod Binge- Cusco Bar too?

Old 01-08-15, 10:22 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Buddy,
I found this carbing bar, is this the one you are running?

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...w=&range_high=

Does it fit nicely over the engine cover? Is there room?
Old 01-08-15, 12:07 PM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I looked more closely at that website, and I do not not feel the lower price justifies the potential hassle. I'm going to buy this on ebay:

Cusco 187 540 A Cusco Strut Bar Type OS | eBay
NO!! That's the wrong part number.... Some references say that will fit, but it's for the GS. not th SC. I ordered that one first but had to send it back. It fit on the strut towers, but rubbed against the engine cover in two places..... the 188 540 A part number is the correct one, and you can get it for the same price, or less from the vendor that the OP listed.
Old 01-08-15, 01:55 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Carbing on mine fit nice

Last edited by bacardi11; 01-08-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 06:52 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to buy the Carbing Bar; I like the one piece construction. Thanks again for the tip.
Old 03-21-15, 07:21 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this thread is a couple of months old but did you get the Carbing? If so, what do you think of it?
I like the idea of the access afforded by the Custco, but not sure the two pivot points are a good idea. People really seem to like it though. I see Custco has a quick release that will work on their bar too. I'm not racing my SC by any means, but the flex/jiggle, especially with the top down, is really annoying.

I'm going to buy the Carbing Bar; I like the one piece construction. Thanks again for the tip.
Old 03-21-15, 08:43 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
I use the Carbing Strut Tower Brace this is a solid connection between the 2 towers no flex like the Cusco.. the flex in the 430sc body dose not flex enough so you really don't feel it.' the Tom's lower brace will tighten the bottom of the car. now the tower bar will make the car be tight. I use the Carbing tower bar and was going to install the Tom's lower brace but at 71 years old make no sence. I need to stop playing with the car and just drive and enjoy it. but its hard to.

Did you sell the Tom's stuff ?
Old 03-22-15, 06:24 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

MrMark
I was getting the Tom's bar but I got the Carbing STB.
Old 03-22-15, 06:43 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
I know this thread is a couple of months old but did you get the Carbing? If so, what do you think of it?
I like the idea of the access afforded by the Custco, but not sure the two pivot points are a good idea. People really seem to like it though. I see Custco has a quick release that will work on their bar too. I'm not racing my SC by any means, but the flex/jiggle, especially with the top down, is really annoying.
Note - the quick lease will not work on bar model 187 540 A - that is a solid bar which is thicker than to hollow bars. The quick release is made for the thinner nollow bars.
Old 03-22-15, 07:18 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Note - the quick lease will not work on bar model 187 540 A - that is a solid bar which is thicker than to hollow bars. The quick release is made for the thinner nollow bars.
Yes, I'm not sure about the quick release. The correct part number for the SC is the 188. The 187 is for the GS is my understanding and has a few interference points. I guess people have installed both. Anyway, not getting the quick release isn't a deal killer. Thanks for that info though!
From Cusco USA:

Old 03-22-15, 07:51 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

rudy
you are correct 188 540 A is the correct bar for Cusco bar.
Old 03-24-15, 06:11 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Torque specs for strut bar?

Just got my strut bar today in the mail all the way from Japan. What torque specs do you all use for the install. Instructions are in Japanese. Maybe 25 to 35 foot pounds?? Thanks
Old 03-25-15, 03:59 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

40 ft-lbs. All good.
Old 03-25-15, 04:36 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

I went 45.
Didn't see any specs and I cannot read Japanese.
Old 03-25-15, 06:37 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Just installed my cusco today. Front end feels a bit more controlled but not a dramatic difference. How do you all detect the improvement from the strut bar? Go around turns fast? Improved steering response or braking?

Sadly I went to clean the bar and the chrome finish scratched. It's not chrome at all. It's a light glaze. It was just a damn sponge with the abrasive side, the same sponge I use on my delicate glass top oven! Now the bar has scratched all over it. I wanted to cry. Looks like I can sang it to smooth it out though..
Old 03-25-15, 07:02 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Just installed my cusco today. Front end feels a bit more controlled but not a dramatic difference. How do you all detect the improvement from the strut bar? Go around turns fast? Improved steering response or braking?

Sadly I went to clean the bar and the chrome finish scratched. It's not chrome at all. It's a light glaze. It was just a damn sponge with the abrasive side, the same sponge I use on my delicate glass top oven! Now the bar has scratched all over it. I wanted to cry. Looks like I can sang it to smooth it out though..
I think it's just polished, not chromed but I'm not sure. I plan on getting mine powder coated before install. I ordered mine a few days ago. My big hope is that it tames the cowl shake when the top is down. I have my doubts that a bar with basically 2 hinges in it can be laterally rigid, but a solid brace on the street is too much hassle at service time. Have you driven with the top retracted yet? As far as handling, I don't know how you would judge that at street speeds. Single wheel bumps may be your best test track. You don't seem impressed so far. That sucks but hey, it could be worse. A couple of hundred bucks is a good lunch these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mod Binge- Cusco Bar too?