SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mod Binge- Cusco Bar too?

Old 03-25-15, 07:18 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not impressed so far but it does seem the front end is more controlled. But it's dramatic. The dramatic difference was when I got the rear isf bar installed.

So powder coating may be an option in my case?
Old 03-25-15, 07:29 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I'm not impressed so far but it does seem the front end is more controlled. But it's dramatic. The dramatic difference was when I got the rear isf bar installed.

So powder coating may be an option in my case?
Well, I'm far from a powder coating expert. I don't know if it would "fill in" the scratches but it is just paint so why not? If a metal can conduct electrical current it can be powder coated is my understanding. This is the place I'm taking mine to. Some info on the site may be useful to you.
http://newportmesapowdercoating.com/
Old 03-25-15, 07:42 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The bars are polished aluminum and they do scratch unfortunately (my GT Spec was the same). You can powder coat it and the scratches won't show up.
Old 03-25-15, 07:49 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
The bars are polished aluminum and they do scratch unfortunately (my GT Spec was the same). You can powder coat it and the scratches won't show up.
Excellent. I am just trying to get rid of the blue! Actually I want a black one but that request flipped them out for some reason. Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 03-26-15, 05:55 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

It just occurred to me i can put carbon fiber tape material on the bar. Did that on my custom intake, which was a much harder job, and it looks great.

My first drive today with the bar to work was underwhelming. It does seem like the front end is a bit more controlled, smoother, and less vibration and bumpiness. Is that a possible result of the bar or is that just a placebo effect? Ride quality seems improved!
Old 03-26-15, 06:10 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

It just occurred to me i can put carbon fiber tape material on the bar. Did that on my custom intake, which was a much harder job, and it looks great.

My first drive today with the bar to work was underwhelming. It does seem like the front end is a bit more controlled, smoother, and less vibration and bumpiness. Is that a possible result of the bar or is that just a placebo effect? Ride quality seems improved!
It may be new part illusion but your impression is what it SHOULD do! Aside from any flex at the limits of handling, the bar should allow the suspension to do more of the work and not use the chassis to absorb bumps and road irregularities. That flexing gets passed on to you and changes the steering geometry with every road characteristic. I suspect that's also why some people, like me, experience wander at higher speeds. I have to say I am surprised how much flex Lexus let creep into this car. They really should have reinforced the chassis. I know they wanted a cruiser, but the rigidity of this car is pretty low. I'm looking forward to getting mine.
Old 03-26-15, 07:40 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

So is it possible that the strut bar could actually make the ride feel more controlled/smoother?
Old 03-26-15, 08:03 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

So is it possible that the strut bar could actually make the ride feel more controlled/smoother?
I say yes.
Old 03-26-15, 08:09 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rudyH
I say yes.
It sure seems like it. Ride is softer. I like it. But it could just be in my head. My commute home is very bumpy, so I will revise my post later.
Old 03-26-15, 08:54 AM
Matthias
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading this thread with interest. Would the Cusco Bar help to reduce or eliminate the tendency of the car to follow each grove in the road? I mean an uneven road with the truck dents on the freeway make my car move quite a bit to either the left or the right. I had the suspension checked and it is ok. I have the Tein C/over with the edfc, will it clear that?

Thanks
Old 03-26-15, 08:59 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Ride does seem more controlled. Not sure. Will report later!
Old 03-26-15, 09:07 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matthias
Reading this thread with interest. Would the Cusco Bar help to reduce or eliminate the tendency of the car to follow each grove in the road? I mean an uneven road with the truck dents on the freeway make my car move quite a bit to either the left or the right. I had the suspension checked and it is ok. I have the Tein C/over with the edfc, will it clear that?

Thanks
I am no SC430 expert at all, but from driving the car, I have the same issue. It bothers some of us more than others. My bogey in this regard is German cars. They track laser straight. Now I can live with slightly less precision than that, but I think MY SC has too much wander. Reading these forums for a few weeks, it seems there are plenty of mechanics that say there are no problems with the suspension, but upon disassembly, many of the bushings are in fact worn. Maybe the car is sensitive to the least amount of wear. A lot of people have switched to polyurethane in all or many locations of the car. Some people have added coil overs, bigger sway bars and links, all sorts of things. It's hard to tell who's trying to improve the tracking and who is trying to just make the car handle more sportily. I think the brace will improve the tracking a lot. If you drive the car with the top down, there is a surprisingly large amount of flex in the front end. Cowl shake. Others may disagree but it depends on what you expect and what you're used to. The only question Inhave with the Cusco is the bar is held in place by a couple of bolts. Essentially there are 2 "potential" pivots in a brace. It's a trade off. You get easier engine access with the Cusco. So I guess I'll know when I get the brace, For a couple of hundred bucks, it's worth a shot and my hopes are high! Many have said it improves things a lot. I don't see why the brace wouldn't clear the Teins. Sorry for the long winded answer. Brevity is not my longsuite.
Old 03-26-15, 09:50 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
40 ft-lbs. All good.
I determined the torque reading through the manual. It shows up on the replacement of the struts. 40 ft-lbs it is. Found this because I just replaced my front shocks.
Old 03-26-15, 10:17 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

The best option is the carbing strut bar, bacardi11 can fill you in. I tried to get this bar but had some logistical issues. I hear the bar is worth the wait.

I switched to all polyurethane bushings. Car rides nice now but I cannot quantify the difference.
Old 03-26-15, 11:46 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I determined the torque reading through the manual. It shows up on the replacement of the struts. 40 ft-lbs it is. Found this because I just replaced my front shocks.
I was looking for a definitive number. Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mod Binge- Cusco Bar too?