SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stupid Question- Harness below Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 09:12 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

In terms of tracing where this wire harness ends, I got to thinking. When I worked as a maintenance man in the hotel industry I used to work on phone systems and we used a tracer system with a "toner". I'm sure these can be found at Home Depot. You can hook up the toner via alligator clips to two wires in the harness and then trace where the actual leads end using the tracer. Just a thought to identify where the wire harness runs while the trunk is torn down. Also, I would make sure NOT to power the vehicle while testing to avoid any cross voltage. Just something that ran through my head.
Old 02-26-15, 08:41 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
You should be able to run the camera wires with out dropping the bumper .Lift the trunk panels out and you can reach where you need to go
Right - thanks. I had/have everything torn down but my fingers didn't recognize the single wall trunk panel through the area behind the license plate. Now I just have to decide where to drill. The cable connectors are too big to go through the existing holes.
Old 02-26-15, 09:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Right - thanks. I had/have everything torn down but my fingers didn't recognize the single wall trunk panel through the area behind the license plate. Now I just have to decide where to drill. The cable connectors are too big to go through the existing holes.
Just be careful around the trunk lock mechanism. It is a moving device so top can open close and then operate trunk . Just stay away from that area and you will be fine
Old 02-26-15, 06:46 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
Just be careful around the trunk lock mechanism. It is a moving device so top can open close and then operate trunk . Just stay away from that area and you will be fine
Thanks. I drilled a 1/2" whole just to the rt. side of the locking mechanism (looking toward the front). NavTool install is complete and have the wires all made for the cameras. The cameras came with 25' ! of video cable so I ordered 6' so I can route to the side in a wiring tube. I left the fuse holder accessable through the DVD access opening.
Old 02-27-15, 07:44 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Thanks. I drilled a 1/2" whole just to the rt. side of the locking mechanism (looking toward the front). NavTool install is complete and have the wires all made for the cameras. The cameras came with 25' ! of video cable so I ordered 6' so I can route to the side in a wiring tube. I left the fuse holder accessable through the DVD access opening.
Good Idea on the fuse location. I mounted my fuse on the rear vertical panel . I only have to remove the rear vertical trim panel that the spare tire would rest against if there was a spare tire. Panel is easy to get at and its most likely I will never have to actually replace a fuse. I did my install 10 years ago and camera works fine.
Old 03-03-15, 04:43 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to move this discussion to a relevents thread for the back up camera - I got off track in this one.