SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stupid Question- Harness below Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 09:56 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Stupid Question- Harness below Cup Holder

Ok so here's the deal. I am in the process of having my interior wrapped in 3M Anthracite and have the cup holder removed, and noticed there is a wire harness below it that plugs into the cup holder unit. Since the holder doesn't truly have any electrical components what is the purpose of it? Additionally, I've noticed since I unplugged this harness, my LuxLink has stopped responding. Any idea how this can be related?
Old 01-03-15, 10:45 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Easy mystery. Its for the mayday unit [ cell phone ] install there is no where to plug it in since we don't have the mayday device in the states. so instead of making a new harness with out it they just decided to leave it there and made a nice little plastic pocket to plug it in. I believe the wires run to the back of the trunk area around the navigation set up. I never looked for the unused harness but I would assume its there. It could be a handy wire harness since it does not terminate any where could save you the trouble of running a wire in the event you wanted to install say a back up camera on some other accessory

When I was installing my satellite radio in the console area I went crazy looking for where to plug that wire harness into. Come to find out there is reference to the MAYDAY device in the factory shop manual.

My car is a 2005 and the harness is in there

Don't you just love this forum!!

Last edited by mrblister; 01-03-15 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 12:33 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
not a stupid question if we don't ask we will never know. I didn't know that see someone new the answer.
Old 01-03-15, 01:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow! That's great to know! Turns out it wasn't interfering with my LuxLink in the end. I just wasn't pressing the key sequence fast enough. Go figure. But awesome that we now know that the harness is a means that can be used as a possible bypass/direct wire connection to the trunk.
Old 01-04-15, 09:30 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Good to know...kudos mrblister
Old 01-05-15, 08:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Easy mystery. Its for the mayday unit [ cell phone ] install there is no where to plug it in since we don't have the mayday device in the states. so instead of making a new harness with out it they just decided to leave it there and made a nice little plastic pocket to plug it in. I believe the wires run to the back of the trunk area around the navigation set up. I never looked for the unused harness but I would assume its there. It could be a handy wire harness since it does not terminate any where could save you the trouble of running a wire in the event you wanted to install say a back up camera on some other accessory

When I was installing my satellite radio in the console area I went crazy looking for where to plug that wire harness into. Come to find out there is reference to the MAYDAY device in the factory shop manual.

Great answer! This is the best car forum in the world!
Old 01-05-15, 04:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very timely information! I'm about to install tye v2 NavTool with two cameras; one for backupmand another to view to the rear when on the track - a look at the GPS display is less distracting than looking up to the rear view mirror. A button switches between the two cameras and I was looking at where to run the wire to the trunk. I recently did the antenna DIY and saw a free connector in the rt. side of the trunk so I'll test for continuity between the console and rear free connectors.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't put two and two together but I saw the console connector when I put the Parrot Bluetooth in.
Old 01-06-15, 05:17 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Very timely information! I'm about to install tye v2 NavTool with two cameras; one for backupmand another to view to the rear when on the track - a look at the GPS display is less distracting than looking up to the rear view mirror. A button switches between the two cameras and I was looking at where to run the wire to the trunk. I recently did the antenna DIY and saw a free connector in the rt. side of the trunk so I'll test for continuity between the console and rear free connectors.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't put two and two together but I saw the console connector when I put the Parrot Bluetooth in.
When I set up my rear view camera I installed a override switch under dash so I could turn the camera on while driving forward as well as camera would automatically come on if I went in reverse If you wire in the toggle switch as I am recommending you will only need one camera. I went with a 1/3 ccd camera. I did not like the cmos quality of most that i found of course I did this 8 years ago so better cameras must be out there now
Old 01-06-15, 07:25 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

When I set up my rear view camera I installed a override switch under dash so I could turn the camera on while driving forward as well as camera would automatically come on if I went in reverse If you wire in the toggle switch as I am recommending you will only need one camera. I went with a 1/3 ccd camera. I did not like the cmos quality of most that i found of course I did this 8 years ago so better cameras must be out there now
That is interesting. Can you provide more info re. Where you wired the toggle switch? I have two ccd camaras but one is a wider view than the other. Both feed intomthe navtool and nothing is wired in the front except for the button ai mentioned.
Old 01-06-15, 07:36 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

That is interesting. Can you provide more info re. Where you wired the toggle switch? I have two ccd camaras but one is a wider view than the other. Both feed intomthe navtool and nothing is wired in the front except for the button ai mentioned.

The back up switch trigger the camera on when you back up .VIA the navtool. Then when I am going forward the back up camera is off. So the toggle switch just provides a trigger to turn the camera on and make the nav tool think the car is going backwards but its going forward and the camera is on so i can see what is behind me as i move forward, I am only using one camera In essence The toggle switch just duplicates the signal that the back up switch does when in reverse . If your using two camera then you should be able to figure out a way to activate the second camera either by my method or another
Old 01-28-15, 08:35 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

The back up switch trigger the camera on when you back up .VIA the navtool. Then when I am going forward the back up camera is off. So the toggle switch just provides a trigger to turn the camera on and make the nav tool think the car is going backwards but its going forward and the camera is on so i can see what is behind me as i move forward, I am only using one camera In essence The toggle switch just duplicates the signal that the back up switch does when in reverse . If your using two camera then you should be able to figure out a way to activate the second camera either by my method or another
Back to the project ...

How did you run the hot wire from the toggle button back to the NavTool device?

Where do you connect the parking brake wire to?

thanks much
Old 01-28-15, 08:47 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Back to the project ...

How did you run the hot wire from the toggle button back to the NavTool device?

Where do you connect the parking brake wire to?

thanks much
I ran the trigger wire back the trunk area . Had to remove trunk panels as well as door threshold on passenger side and rear seat. I never connected the parking brake wire no need for me to do
in my system
Old 01-28-15, 12:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

I ran the trigger wire back the trunk area . Had to remove trunk panels as well as door threshold on passenger side and rear seat. I never connected the parking brake wire no need for me to do
in my system
Got it. Might as well take a look at the subwoofer and sound insulate the rear floor as long as I'm in there.

Thanks
Old 02-22-15, 08:19 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

in my system
Got the switch done - I put it it the ash tray compartment where I also installled the Parrot bluetooth. Now I am looking for where to run the camera wires and found two great DIY's.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 02-22-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 08:37 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Got the switch done - I put it it the ash tray compartment where I also installled the Parrot bluetooth. Now I am looking for where to run the camera wires and found two great DIY's.
You should be able to run the camera wires with out dropping the bumper .Lift the trunk panels out and you can reach where you need to go

Quick Reply: Stupid Question- Harness below Cup Holder