SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.

Old 12-28-14, 07:22 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.

I've been looking at getting an SC430 for awhile now and finally found one in my budget. This car is in no way perfect, on inspection I found a couple of issues with it. Valve cover gasket is leaking, power steering is a little sticky, 3 of the tpms sensors were out, the interior was dingy, two of the speakers are blown, the Nav disk is not readable (bad drive), it had a 176000 miles on it and suspension bushings seem shot. Apart from these issues I didn't find anything wrong with it, body is in great condition, roof has no issues, and compression test on the motor showed no issues. I LOVE IT!! My plan is to do all the preventative maintenance on it and then upgrades from there, suspensions, wheels, stereo system etc.. I'll update as I go along and any feedback/suggestions etc will be awesome.

Figured I would add some shortcuts for easier navigation:
Sprucing up the leather on the seats.
SC430 Power Steering Flush.
LS400 Brake Caliper Rebuild
Suspension overhaul
Engine Bay Cleanup.
Post alignment review.
Engine Maintenance
Engine mount replacement and transmission flush
Coolant flush & Engine bay clean up.
Air Ride Install Part 1
Radiator & hoses, Sway bar upgrade and end links changed.
Ride height sensor install.
Air Ride Install Part 2
Fresh Tint
SC430 with LS400 brake upgrade.
Alternator & Big 4 Upgrade.
SC430 Audio system planning and upgrade.
SC430 Smart Keyless Entry, Push button start and phone control
SC430 AC issues and fixes
2006 Headlight Customization & Modification

Last edited by kuWuPt; 01-08-20 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (01-09-20)
Old 12-29-14, 03:55 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats KuWuPt ! Good to see another Twilight Amethyst Pearl/Ecru. It's a pretty rare color and the difference between how it looks in the sun and in the shade is amazing - as you showed us with your pics. Good luck with your upgrades and maintenance - my TAP/Ecru has 55K more miles than when I bought it off lease but it looks a whole lot better inside and outside when I got it from the dealer. Show us your progress pics please ? Happy New Year !
Old 12-29-14, 06:17 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome and enjoy your stay. yes the color is rare.
Old 12-29-14, 07:25 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome Great color and car
Old 12-29-14, 07:56 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Great purchase, welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 12-29-14, 12:21 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Club Lexus

Great purchase and good luck with the maintenance catchup of future mods.

What year is that (sorry if I missed that ..)? Can you share your purchase price?

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 12-29-14, 08:05 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by OBP
Congrats KuWuPt ! Good to see another Twilight Amethyst Pearl/Ecru. It's a pretty rare color and the difference between how it looks in the sun and in the shade is amazing - as you showed us with your pics. Good luck with your upgrades and maintenance - my TAP/Ecru has 55K more miles than when I bought it off lease but it looks a whole lot better inside and outside when I got it from the dealer. Show us your progress pics please ? Happy New Year !
Thank you and Happy New Year to you too!! I'll post pics as the progression goes..

Originally Posted by bacardi11
welcome and enjoy your stay. yes the color is rare.
Originally Posted by mrblister
Welcome Great color and car
Originally Posted by tromly
Great purchase, welcome to Club Lexus!
Thanks guys!!

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Welcome to the Club Lexus

Great purchase and good luck with the maintenance catchup of future mods.

What year is that (sorry if I missed that ..)? Can you share your purchase price?

Thanks for the pictures.
I failed to mention the year actually.. its a 2002.. I paid $6300 for it.
DJHydrogen (03-21-20)
Old 12-29-14, 08:07 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Default Sprucing up the leather on the seats.

So my interior was pretty shot and had to rejuvenate it. With the help of another thread here I was able to fix it. This is the process I used:

1 - Clean seats with Lexol diluted in warm water with a grey scotch pad (just to see if cleaning can take anything off)
2 - I sanded the seats with 320 grit sand paper, this seemed to not just smooth the leather out but also take off a layer of 'paint'? I say paint because sanding dust was the color of the seats.
3 - vacuumed dust off
4 - wipe down with 90% alcohol and grey scotch pad. This really made me think it is paint because it had the same effect of paint, it started removing or thinning the paint and the grey pad was turning white.
5 - wipe down with clean cloth
6 - quick wipe down with a clean microfiber and alcohol.
7 - Mask
8 - Spray the SEM 15003

Before:

After:

I obviously can't make a statement on longevity of it but if anything happens I'll update.

Last edited by kuWuPt; 01-20-15 at 09:39 PM.
DJHydrogen (03-21-20)
Old 12-30-14, 04:03 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks amazing - solid improvement - looks nearly new.
Old 12-30-14, 05:43 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

very nice job a little work an look what you have.
Old 12-30-14, 09:49 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice on the cleaning ... i am sure you will enjoy this car...r u fixing car to flip ? or for personal pleasure..
Old 12-30-14, 11:57 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Thanks guys, yeah definitely worth the effort.

Fixing up for personal pleasure.
Old 12-30-14, 02:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Congrats kuWuPt. It looks really good, especially for that price!
Old 12-31-14, 12:16 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Default SC430 Power Steering Flush.

Been driving the SC for a couple of days now and I've noticed the power steering is a little sticky when turning right. The oil in it of course was a dirty brown so a flush was in order.

This is the process I used and I'm in no way shape or form liable for anything that happens by following this process.

1 - Put the car on jack stands/jacks in the front so the tires are not touching the ground. Had access to a manual vacuum pump so used that to drain the power steering fluid out of the reservoir.

Once the reservoir was empty I dumped about 8oz of the Seafoam Trans tune in the reservoir. This gets the liquid level up to the cool min mark. The reservoir as you can see is filthy on the inside so much so that you cannot see the fluid level in it.

2 - With the trans tune in the reservoir switch the key to the ACC position (don't start the car). Turn the wheel lock to lock (left to right) about 10 to 15 times just to make sure if any air got into the system bleeds out. Air in the system will definitely mess up your power steering pump.

3 - Once that is done go ahead and crank the car up. Every 5 minutes or so turn the wheel from lock to lock at a medium pace (just don't do it fast) about 10 times (left 10 and right 10). I left the car running for about 30 minutes and did this every 5 minutes.What you are doing here at this point is letting the trans tune break down any build up etc in the steering rack as it circulates through the power steering.

4 - Switch the ignition off and you are going to proceed with flushing the system. I wanted to take the reservoir out and clean it because it was dirty. If you don't want to do this you can proceed to step 5 .

Vacuum the oil out of the reservoir again and pull the two lines that are connected to the reservoir off. Oil is definitely going to still come out because you won't be able to get all the oil out of the reservoir. The smaller of the two lines is the return line and sits towards the front of the car and the bigger line sits behind it in relation with the reservoir.

6 - I tried, thinner break cleaner etc and it wouldn't just wash out so I made a make shift pad to get in the reservoir and clean the sides. I used an air nozzle, wrapped a shop rag and taped it. don't wrap it too much otherwise it's not going to fit through the hole in the reservoir.

You can see the sides here getting cleaner. Keep rinsing it out with kerosene or brake cleaner.

I couldn't get to the edged properly so I bent up a small brush to the angles I wanted to get to the edges. Rinse rinse and rinse in between just to make sure you get all the debris out. Once it's clean enough, or in my case where I didn't see anymore difference, go ahead and connect the bigger line back and on the 3/8" line connect the 3/8" barb fitting and clear line.

5 - Of the two lines on the reservoir the 3/8" smaller line is toward the front of the car and a bigger 1/2" I believe behind it. This 3/8" line is the return line (for those that are not cleaning reservoir, those who are, already know this).

Pull the 3/8" line off and put in the 3/8" barb fitting and the clear 3/8" line (again for those that are not cleaning reservoir, those who are should have already done this).

Let this line rest in a oil drain pan or any container that will hold about 3 to 4 qts of oil.

6- The port where the return line goes I blocked off with some ear plugs. The orange you see in the port pictured below is the ear plug.

7 - Fill the reservoir up with ATF or power steering fluid (I put in Amsoil ATF). The reservoir can be filled above the max line at this point. With the key turned to ACC (do not switch the car on) go ahead and turn the steering wheel lock to lock 3 or 4 times keeping an eye on the reservoir. Keep checking fluid level in the reservoir and don't let it go below minimum. When you are turning the steering wheel the fluid is getting dumped out from the return line through the clear hose you connected into the oil drain pan or container you chose. Keep topping the fluid in the reservoir till you see fresh red ATF coming out of the clear line. At this point try to drain out enough fluid till it gets to the min cold line.

8- Remove the ear plug, disconnect the barb fitting from the return line and connect the return line back to the reservoir. It's going to get messy so have a rag under the reservoir to get some of the oil. I vacuumed the oil out of the reservoir and it still made a mess.

9 - Make sure all your lines are secure etc and fill the reservoir to between the min and max cold line.

10 - Time to bleed the power steering line again. With the key in the ACC position turn the wheel lock to lock (left to right) about 15 to 20 times just to make sure air, if any bleeds out. Also turn the wheel at a medium pace. Again air in the system will definitely mess up your power steering pump.

11 - At this point you should be done, you shouldn't see any air bubbles gurgling in the reservoir and should be good to go. Get the car off of jack stands/jacks and if the car is at operating temperature you can fill fluid up to the max hot line.

My steering is noticeably smoother and doesn't have that stickiness anymore.
Old 12-31-14, 04:35 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a set of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKHRUK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKHRUK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fuel line clamps on the hoses. You can get them right up next to the end you're disconnecting and seal off the hose. Then wrap with a rag and disconnect. The little fluid that's in the line between the clamp and the end will be absorbed by the rag and you don't have a big mess. Everyone should have a set of these in their tool box. There's also a version that looks sort of like long jawed Vice Grips that are good for heater and radiator hoses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.