SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 07:00 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow KuWuPt, great write up. Looks like you will be a great contributor to this forum. Happy New Year
Old 01-01-15, 10:20 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy New Year and thanx for the great write up...
Old 01-01-15, 11:06 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Nice job kuWuPt. Considering how much you had to put into it, I'd hate to think what a dealer would charge for that effort! It sounds like that is a 3 to 4 hour effort, at least.
Old 01-01-15, 03:39 PM
elfer996
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job! the seat restoration looks amazing...
Old 01-01-15, 10:42 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Wow KuWuPt, great write up. Looks like you will be a great contributor to this forum. Happy New Year
I'll try to make a note of everything I end up doing but no promises, trying to do all this when I get time so sometimes taking pics etc does not work out. I have mad respect for everyone who puts the DIY's together, a lot of DIY's have helped me out now and in the past so just trying to pay it forward.

Originally Posted by pynky01
Happy New Year and thanx for the great write up...
Happy New Year bud.. and u'r welcome.

Originally Posted by Harold57
Nice job kuWuPt. Considering how much you had to put into it, I'd hate to think what a dealer would charge for that effort! It sounds like that is a 3 to 4 hour effort, at least.
It really wasn't that bad Harold, I think I've spent more time cleaning the power steering reservoir than anything else..lol.. the job itself shouldn't take more than 1.5 to 2 hours tops!!

Originally Posted by elfer996
nice job! the seat restoration looks amazing...
Thanks elfer.
Old 01-02-15, 11:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
It really wasn't that bad Harold, I think I've spent more time cleaning the power steering reservoir than anything else..lol.. the job itself shouldn't take more than 1.5 to 2 hours tops!!
Actually, I was referring to the entire job you did, including the reservoir cleaning. That was quite the undertaking requiring a lot of patience. It sounds like you did a bang up job though.
Old 01-02-15, 02:36 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harold57
Actually, I was referring to the entire job you did, including the reservoir cleaning. That was quite the undertaking requiring a lot of patience. It sounds like you did a bang up job though.
lol.. oh that.. thanks man.. I'm a little OCD.. well when it comes to cars anyway..
Old 01-07-15, 06:57 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Default LS400 Brake Caliper Rebuild

A great relatively cheap upgrade to the GS that I've wanted to do in the past on my 2ng Gen GS was to put the LS400 brakes on. Since I never got around to doing it on the GS and since I'm a hoarder I had some LS400 calipers that have been sitting that would be perfect for the SC.

I hate doing stuff twice, I'd rather take my time and do it once and do it right. Since these brakes have been sitting and almost 15 years old I figured it was a good time to rebuild it and give it a little freshening up. Fairly easy to do, a rebuild kit for about $25 to $30 and a little bit of time definitely puts my mind at ease.

Use air pressure to pop pistons out, you don't have to split the brakes apart but I did just to clean it up better. Replaced all the seals, o rings, boot covers, locks, lubed everything up and pressed the pistons back in.

Didn't take any before pics, but the pics below are after cleaning the insides and a coat of high temp black was applied.

I think I spent more time cleaning it, than rebuilding it. In retrospect I should have media blasted the outside (do not media blast or try to brush where the pistons sit), it would've been faster.

Prepped, masked and etch primed it and now ready for some color.

Last edited by kuWuPt; 01-20-15 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 07:39 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome write up BTW. All the descriptions and photos really helped. I was wondering if the rear left/right side corners of the speaker grill panel can be clean, sand and respray as well. Material seems to be the same as the seats. Your thoughts?

Old 01-07-15, 07:43 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

I don't see why not Nat, the SEM color coat is a vinyl/plastic coating so it should bond fine with that, more so than the flexing seats. Saw your LS at Sema man.. jaw dropping!!

Last edited by kuWuPt; 01-07-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 08:39 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My sc has also had all the same issues at one point. These are all relatively easy fixes. For example, the tire senors commonly go out. There is a thread on how to disengage the TPMS, and it has saved me a ton of headaches. Feel free to PM with questions, or you can use the search button.

The bottom line is that your issues are relatively minor and it looks like you have a great car! Especially for almost 200K miles! Nice color too!
Old 01-07-15, 08:44 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Thanks LexBrett, I unplugged the tire sensors as soon as I signed the paperwork at the dealership..lol.. definitely easy fixes, things I was going to end up changing for the most part so no regrets at all.
Old 01-07-15, 09:13 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks LexBrett, I unplugged the tire sensors as soon as I signed the paperwork at the dealership..lol.. definitely easy fixes, things I was going to end up changing for the most part so no regrets at all.
That's great you new about unplugging the sensors. I dealt with random beeping for at least a year until I discovered this trick :-)
Old 01-07-15, 09:22 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice !!! Welcome to the SC430 family !
Old 01-07-15, 09:30 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see why not Nat, the SEM color coat is a vinyl/plastic coating so it should bond fine with that, more so than the flexing seats. Saw your LS at Sema man.. jaw dropping!!
Thank you kuWupt...I just picked up an SC and like you, start working from the inside out. The work on a 13 years old car.

Quick Reply: SC430 New owner, intro and build thread.