SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

For those that have upgraded their SC430 head unit..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 10:54 PM
alexmoore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that have upgraded their SC430 head unit..

Hi Everyone!

I am a new Lexus SC430 Owner(2005 Pebble Beach Edition) and am looking into changing out the head unit. I see they are calling it "double din"? I'd like for the new head-unit to be at least a 7" touchscreen unit with the same capabilities as the outdated OEM radio(AM/FM, etc), with the extra bluetooth calling and audio streaming, rear camera capabilities, and very modern look. I was very interested in the Pioneer App Radio 4. I love the idea of using apps and a lot of IPhone integration. Has anyone had experience with this unit? I know it is very new.

Also, what microphone and camera attachments did you use for your head-unit? I was looking through the pioneer accessories and they had a "CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone for Car DVD Receivers".. will this work with their touchscreen units for bluetooth calling? They also had the "ND-BC6 Universal Rear-View Camera". Any experience with these attachments and with which unit? Do some units come with the mic in the unit itself or are they separate for bluetooth calling and wired to the unit?

I plan on using the Beatsonic integration to keep the OEM wiring/ levinson speakers for the head-unit.

Also, any do-it-yourselfers? How did that go? Were you able to use the steering wheel controls & mirror videos with the top Nav screen? I saw a few youtube video installations from custom shops where that trick was very neat.

And finally, should I get this sort of installation professionally done? Any who got it custom done & price? How much did it cost you doing it yourself?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-24-14, 09:28 AM
mohrd
Driver

Hopefully, there will be more forum members with better expertise chime in but, I did my own install of a 7" Pioneer 2Din. I didn't do backup camera and left factory Nav so not as updated as you want to do. The key and your biggest expense will be the Beatsonic interface if you want to keep the ML amp and speakers intact. Since all the newer 2Dins will come with a parking brake wire (to keep you from doing what you shouldn't be while driving) you can also look at getting a bypass. I'm not suggesting you break the distracted driving laws. I wired it to the power antenna lead on mine so that the ugly rear antenna doesn't raise and function but I don't listen to conventional radio anyway.

There are a few extremely good write ups you can search for here on the forum and BeatSonic has great instructions. Long story short, if I could do it, installation isn't that hard.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-14, 12:50 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexmoore
Hi Everyone!

I am a new Lexus SC430 Owner(2005 Pebble Beach Edition) and am looking into changing out the head unit. I see they are calling it "double din"? I'd like for the new head-unit to be at least a 7" touchscreen unit with the same capabilities as the outdated OEM radio(AM/FM, etc), with the extra bluetooth calling and audio streaming, rear camera capabilities, and very modern look. I was very interested in the Pioneer App Radio 4. I love the idea of using apps and a lot of IPhone integration. Has anyone had experience with this unit? I know it is very new.

Also, what microphone and camera attachments did you use for your head-unit? I was looking through the pioneer accessories and they had a "CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone for Car DVD Receivers".. will this work with their touchscreen units for bluetooth calling? They also had the "ND-BC6 Universal Rear-View Camera". Any experience with these attachments and with which unit? Do some units come with the mic in the unit itself or are they separate for bluetooth calling and wired to the unit?

I plan on using the Beatsonic integration to keep the OEM wiring/ levinson speakers for the head-unit.

Also, any do-it-yourselfers? How did that go? Were you able to use the steering wheel controls & mirror videos with the top Nav screen? I saw a few youtube video installations from custom shops where that trick was very neat.

And finally, should I get this sort of installation professionally done? Any who got it custom done & price? How much did it cost you doing it yourself?

Thanks in advance!
I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH Double Din Radio installed in my car with the Beat Sonic Integration device. The radio has a 7" screen with everything you are seeking. This radio has the following dimensions which pretty much max out the radio compartment, allowing the door to close.
Radio chassis: (W x H x D): 178mm or 7" x 100mm or 3-7/8" x 167mm or 6-5/8"
The dimensions for the lid or nose of the radio: 170mm or 6-3/4" x 96mm or 3-3/4" x 20mm or 3/4"

This is the maximum size DD Radio that will fit the opening without any modifications still allowing your radio door to function properly. It also comes with a microphone for your hands free device phone. I have the iPhone 6 Plus and the marriage between both radio and phone is harmonious. The Bluetooth function is superb and allows me to stream my music or satellite radio without a glitch. You can also purchase the peripheral connections to tether your iPhone to the head unit. Yes, you can use apps on it as well. You can search on Amazon for a backup camera. I have the Boyo License Plate Frame Backup Camera. The camera is built into the frame and it blends into the frame. This set up allows the user to make all connections without the need to drill into the car’s body. The Beat Sonic device is the ticket which will allow your steering wheel buttons to still function. If you are not handy with doing the work yourself, I’m sure a reputable Car Audio Shop can do the work. Conduct a search on the web to locate the Integration device from Beat Sonic. Make sure you purchase the correct item for your year and make. The side radio panels (Black Plastic) also come with the kit.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...c-mva-13l.html
Attached Thumbnails For those that have upgraded their SC430 head unit..-license-frame.jpg   For those that have upgraded their SC430 head unit..-radio_avic-z150.jpg  

Last edited by DarthSid; 12-24-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 04:03 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hint: before removing your OEM radio to install the Beatsonic, set your volume controls to mid range on the OEM radio. That sets up the ML amp so when you install the new radio the volume range is correct.
Old 12-25-14, 08:30 PM
alexmoore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Hint: before removing your OEM radio to install the Beatsonic, set your volume controls to mid range on the OEM radio. That sets up the ML amp so when you install the new radio the volume range is correct.
Hi Flyct! Thanks for the hint.

I'm not very educated with the term 'mid-range', could you explain to me which settings need to be turned to middle range? Should volume be at 0 as well as Bass, Treble, Bal, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-25-14, 08:34 PM
alexmoore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DarthSid
I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH Double Din Radio installed in my car with the Beat Sonic Integration device. The radio has a 7" screen with everything you are seeking. This radio has the following dimensions which pretty much max out the radio compartment, allowing the door to close.
Radio chassis: (W x H x D): 178mm or 7" x 100mm or 3-7/8" x 167mm or 6-5/8"
The dimensions for the lid or nose of the radio: 170mm or 6-3/4" x 96mm or 3-3/4" x 20mm or 3/4"

This is the maximum size DD Radio that will fit the opening without any modifications still allowing your radio door to function properly. It also comes with a microphone for your hands free device phone. I have the iPhone 6 Plus and the marriage between both radio and phone is harmonious. The Bluetooth function is superb and allows me to stream my music or satellite radio without a glitch. You can also purchase the peripheral connections to tether your iPhone to the head unit. Yes, you can use apps on it as well. You can search on Amazon for a backup camera. I have the Boyo License Plate Frame Backup Camera. The camera is built into the frame and it blends into the frame. This set up allows the user to make all connections without the need to drill into the car’s body. The Beat Sonic device is the ticket which will allow your steering wheel buttons to still function. If you are not handy with doing the work yourself, I’m sure a reputable Car Audio Shop can do the work. Conduct a search on the web to locate the Integration device from Beat Sonic. Make sure you purchase the correct item for your year and make. The side radio panels (Black Plastic) also come with the kit.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...c-mva-13l.html
Darthsid, thank you VERY much for this. This makes me feel a lot more confident in switching out the head unit.

I'm wondering, how is the backup camera wired to the unit as well as the 'reverse' gear through the license plate one you have? I love the idea of not drilling into the body.

I'm really liking the Pioneer 4000NEX as well as the App Radio 4 at the moment. I'll let you know how my installation goes!
Old 12-26-14, 10:02 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexmoore
Darthsid, thank you VERY much for this. This makes me feel a lot more confident in switching out the head unit.

I'm wondering, how is the backup camera wired to the unit as well as the 'reverse' gear through the license plate one you have? I love the idea of not drilling into the body.

I'm really liking the Pioneer 4000NEX as well as the App Radio 4 at the moment. I'll let you know how my installation goes!
Alex, go to Crutchfield and conduct a search using "4000NEX" the radio of intrest. scroll down the site and download the user manual from the site. I verified the radio chassis will fit in the SC430 dash and allow the door to close properly. Refer to the English section/page 30 and focus on the right side of the page "Connecting the external video component." The yellow RCA plug is for your video input. The back up camera also comes with instructions. I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4000NEX Video Input.pdf (117.1 KB, 365 views)
Old 03-23-15, 12:47 PM
gospursgo
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry to ask such an obtuse question, but in your setup, Darth, what function does the top Nav panel have? Is it still the same factory Nav? Is it possible to utilize that top Nav screen as the OP suggested?

Very impressive setups...