SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 09:17 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
I said I use the car every day. so the car starts. the car is outside all the time no garage. to me the battery was a deal. I used a Odyessy battery for 71/2 years many times had to jump no big deal. I thought i'll tell you guys about the Lith. Battery. to me it no big deal but I guess it dose. to me I save 41+ lbs thats a big deal to me for 420 like I said I took out 41+ lbs with a battery. like I said try to take 41+ lbs off. you guys are looking at the battery price not the weigh lose. it seem to me. if you want your car to be quicker the weigh must come off. I look at things in a different way. your looking at price I look at weigh off. tried to let you know about a Lith. Battery read about them

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-21-15 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 05:55 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
.... If you left the Li-battery connected for a week and didn't use the car, would it start on Day 8 without problems?
Thank you very much for the clarification Bacardi. I appreciate the insight and I see what you mean. I doubt I could remove 41lbs that easily but I'm still wondering how long the Li battery will hold charge. I bet with the weight reduction, your car really moves! But I'm not only looking at the price, I'm more concerned about the performance and reliability for the price purchased. So I ask again, "If you left the Li-battery connected for a week and didn't use the car, would it start on Day 8 without problems?"
Old 02-21-15, 07:07 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I told you with the Odyessy battery the car would not start in 8 days. lexus dealer said always keep a charger on it after 5 days or more. everything is tight and it starts great. read about Lithium Batteries.
EarthX Inc on there web-site ETX48E Battery Number
Old 02-21-15, 08:55 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Shawn, depending on what kind of a lithium battery it is will determine its performance characteristics. For example, a LiIon battery will typically hold its charge 6 months to a year but without special chemistry, it won't operate below about -20°C and they aren't supposed to be charged below freezing. However, lithium polymer batteries are different. (There are several different types of lithium batteries out there.)

Regardless of the type of lithium chemistry though, lithium batteries in generally hold a charge longer (when sitting on the shelf no load) than the majority of the other batteries on the market today.
Old 02-21-15, 09:27 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Harold
this Lithium Battery weigh 7.7 lbs guys think i'm crazy i'm not but it starts the car and 41+ lighter. yes I spent 725
my Odyessy new is 275 so for 420 I took 41+ weigh off doing nothing. they look at the price. if the car going to sit I disconnect the battery. again to me this is a great deal. look what I got for 420 41+ lbs lighter

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-21-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 10:01 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

bacardi,

I think you need to add another 30 to that 420 for your math to be correct.

I guess the weight reduction is a good thing but it is still quite a hit for a battery.

The way I would look at it is I am still spending 725 for one. It is 450 more than I would have spent for the other one.

The weight reduction would be of no concern to me as I am just a fair weather cruiser. I can see the point if you are looking for all the performance you can get out of a vehicle.

But to each his own. If you are satisfied with your purchase then it is definitely worth it to you.
Old 02-21-15, 02:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
Harold
this Lithium Battery weigh 7.7 lbs guys think i'm crazy i'm not but it starts the car and 41+ lighter. yes I spent 725
my Odyessy new is 275 so for 420 I took 41+ weigh off doing nothing. they look at the price. if the car going to sit I disconnect the battery. again to me this is a great deal. look what I got for 420 41+ lbs lighter
Yes, one of the major benefits and desirable characteristics of a lithium battery is that it has about the highest energy density of all batteries on the market. What that means is that if you have a lithium battery the same size as another non-lithium battery, the lithium battery will have much more capacity. Or looking at it another way, if you have a lithium battery and a non-lithium battery with the same capacity, the lithium battery will be quite a bit smaller and lighter.

The only concern is that most lithium batteries require a different charging method than the other batteries. IIRC, there is a lithium battery out now that can be used in the same applications as lead acid though. I'm guessing the battery you got is that type of lithium battery. Pretty cool. I didn't realize that the lithium batteries had made ingress into the 12 V automotive battery realm yet.
Old 02-21-15, 02:20 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So let me get this straight, $725(retail)/$420 for a battery that weighs 41 lbs less (good for racing and speed) but still won't go sitting 1 week without a jump (deceased longevity requiring more maintenance). Does that sum it up accurately?

So comparing apples to apples, this specific Lithium battery has equivalent performance to any lead acid battery (in terms of longevity before requiring a jump) but weighs 41lbs less. I'm sorry but I will take a guaranteed start after 1 week of sitting as racing isn't my primary intention. My opinion.

Additionaly, as stated above some Lithium batteries can't just be "jumped" like Lead Acid batteries, right? So dead battery on the road without special charger makes things complicated. Right?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-21-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 03:32 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

shawn
I guess I would have to let the car sit for 8 days and see if it starts.
many lexus 430sc owner complain about not starting after a week setting.
I have the same problem with my car with the Odyessy to. even the dealer tell you to keep a tender on it if sits.
there is a drew in the 430sc.
shawn let your car sit for 7 day on the 8 day start it.
Old 02-21-15, 03:38 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

shawn
I guess I would have to let the car sit for 8 days and see if it starts.
many lexus 430sc owner complain about not starting after a week setting.
I have the same problem with my car with the Odyessy to. even the dealer tell you to keep a tender on it if sits.
there is a drew in the 430sc.
shawn let your car sit for 7 day on the 8 day start it.
I did just that. Last week, 7 days without driving it with all the snow Chicago had. Drove my new SUV everyday. No tender, either. Started it on day 8. No problem. First crank, started right up. That's the point I'm trying to make.
Old 02-21-15, 08:11 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Barcardi,

Other than the $725, 7.7 pound weight and 600 CCA what are the other specs for your lithium battery?

Can you post a link to the battery supplier and specs?

Thanks.

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-21-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 03:16 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

fly
EarthX Inc
ETX48E
like I said i'm not crazy just smart.
check the race car auto

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-22-15 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-22-15, 04:27 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I did just that. Last week, 7 days without driving it with all the snow Chicago had. Drove my new SUV everyday. No tender, either. Started it on day 8. No problem. First crank, started right up. That's the point I'm trying to make.
your one of the lucky one
Old 02-22-15, 06:41 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

fly
EarthX Inc
ETX48E
like I said i'm not crazy just smart.
check the race car auto
Ok,

I looked over their specs. It seems to be a good application primarily for a race car or drag strip where 40 pds of weight reduction can equate to a 0.01 second improvement in 1/4 mile times.

A few things pops out on how they rate their batteries.

CCA
They have internal circuitry in the battery that shuts down the battery to ZERO VOLTS if it senses 10 seconds of cranking in any 60 seconds. This creates a problem measuring CCA.

SAE specs for CCA is that the battery maintain greater than 7.2 volts after being discharged at the CCA rate for 30 seconds at 0 degree Fahrenheit

This manufacture rates CCA using their "modified SAE" specs of 3 seconds vs. the real SAE specs of 30 seconds.

Ah rate:
The 48 AH rating is not actual. It is what they call equivalent. The actual Ah rate is 24 Ah for this battery. With the discharge curve being flat there is virtually no warning when your battery is getting weak. After 24 Ah are drawn off the battery goes flat dead. I'd be interested in seeing how many days it would last if your car park parked unused. If it has 1/2 the actual Ah rating it would seem that it would only last 1/2 the number of days that of a standard Lead Acid battery.

If your looking for weight reduction for drag racing rather than a daily driver or fair weather driver it makes sense.

What do you do if after 3 years your car won't even attempt to start because the parasitic drain caused it to go flat dead after being parked for say only 3 days. Why no prorating? Do they know something?

Even the 2 year warranty is not published where I can find it.

Look at the answer to their first FAQ. It state "if you have parasitic drain" it could cause a dead flat Zero Volts Battery http://earthxmotorsports.com/faqs/
Old 02-22-15, 07:04 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

The warranty period is stated in the FAQ of the link you posted.

"What is the warranty period?
Our Lithium batteries include a two year warranty that is not pro-rated for manufacturer defects."

These battery's seem to require a lot of specialized attention to their requirements.

I am afraid I would end up frying one using the procedures I am accustomed to with a standard battery.

That could ending up being a very costly mistake.

Quick Reply: SC430 Battery Drain