SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 04:09 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
While many owners have reported the parasitic drain problem, it seems like all LuxLink owners have this problem.
I had battery problems waaaaaay before installing the LuxLink. I don't think there's a correlation to the LuxLink.
Old 02-16-15, 05:23 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I had battery problems waaaaaay before installing the LuxLink. I don't think there's a correlation to the LuxLink.
I also had battery problems before the luxlink. I use battery tender plus and that keeps battery up
Old 02-17-15, 09:31 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
This problem of a drained battery was even mentioned in Sc300/400 manual, which said leaving the vechile sitting/not driven will effect the battery unabling, the Lexus' to start. I'll see if I can find the mentioning in the manual?
I found the mentioning of the battery draining cause. Only in the first generation (least up to 92') this switch was put in a Sc. This feature is not offered on my year 95'.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Battery Drain-keyswitch.jpg   SC430 Battery Drain-battey.jpg  

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 02-17-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 09:16 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
I am going to measure the voltage at the courtesy light fixture and see if I detect any voltage there.
Since the receiver for key fob is active so you are able to lower the windows and open or lock the doors it just could be some stray voltage is in the courtesy light fixtures since they do illuminate and are in the circuit.
MrBlister, any update on the draw from the courtesy lights?
Old 02-20-15, 09:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
MrBlister, any update on the draw from the courtesy lights?
Car is in storage for winter as soon as it warms up I will check the voltage at the courtesy light
Old 02-20-15, 09:26 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Cool, thanks!
Old 02-20-15, 12:54 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reelbb
I'll give this a try and will report back

How many CCA on the interstate battery???

BTW, my Interstate Battery is a MegaTron Plus (MTP-48/H6) with 730 CCA. Guaranteed for 6 Years.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/P...nths+-+770+CCA

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-20-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 01:14 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my new battery is only 600 CCA. I keep it disconnected when not in use. hook it up start right up. I love this 7.7 lbs battery.
Old 02-20-15, 01:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bacardi11
my new battery is only 600 CCA. I keep it disconnected when not in use. hook it up start right up. I love this 7.7 lbs battery.
It was $750, right? I haven't won the lottery.... yet.... hehe.
Old 02-20-15, 01:53 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

shawn
the battery I used was 275 lasted 71/2 years. the new battery is 725 - 275 = 420 so you think about it I sent 420 an removed 41+ weight off the front of the car. can you take 41+ lbs off your car for 420 try. the car is 41+ lbs lighter when you lighten a car what happens. this to me was a deal.

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-20-15 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 04:41 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

shawn
the battery I used was 275 lasted 71/2 years. the new battery is 725 - 275 = 420 so you think about it I sent 420 an removed 41+ weight off the front of the car. can you take 41+ lbs off your car for 420 try. the car is 41+ lbs lighter when you lighten a car what happens. this to me was a deal.
No, you're absolutely right. A great deal and a great weight reduction. It's just very expensive with all the modifications and future plans I have for the car to spend $725/420 on a battery. That would def put all my other plans on hold for over a year.
Also, in terms of battery life I believe you also garage store your car and only use it occasionally right? Mine must be outdoors (no garage now), and is my daily driver even in the negative degree weather. I'm not sure what miracle battery you're using but I hope that for $420 that it will also survive harsh winter and being left outdoors in -36 degree weather like Chicago had last year during the polar vortex. Speed and losing 41lbs is great, but I prefer the dependable start even if it weighs more. Afterall weight reduction is the goal for speed, but if the car won't start when needed then it has an max speed of 0mph, figuratively speaking of course.
Old 02-20-15, 05:12 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

shawn
the car is not garaged outside. when I say disconnected when not used what I mean the NEG. side is not fully tight. if the car going to sit for 2 days. I open the hood disconnect NEG. side. I do use the car every day. the battery is a Lith. Battery no acid. I live in N.J. today was 3 at 6am.
2 year warr. no prorate

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-20-15 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 06:34 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I open the hood disconnect NEG. side. I do use the car every day. the battery is a Lith. Battery no acid. I live in N.J. today was 3 at 6am.
2 year warr. no prorate
Isn't it a pain that every time you disconnect the battery that you lose memory seat settings, memory mirror presets and radio station presets? Also the ECU has to relearn driving characteristics after having the battery disconnected for long periods of time, which could cause driveability issues.

I would think that having loose battery cables is NOT a good practice. It could produce havoc on the charging system or starting system. Even very slight temperature differences could also cause enough expansion and contraction at the terminal connection which could create high resistance. I have seen loose ground connection that cause EXCESSIVELY HIGH heat at terminals or grounding points, when trying to start an engine. You need excellent conductivity for good starting results. That is why battery connections are as robust as they are.

Here is an excerpt from a web site http://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/fall/...start_test.pdf

"Starter current draw specifications vary considerably, depending on engine size, type (gas or diesel), compression ratio, etc. The following auto and light truck current draw information (for 12 volt systems) is a general guideline. It is normal for some starting systems to draw more amperage.
• 4 cylinder gas engine -typically draws up to 160 amps
• 4 cylinder diesel -typically draws up to 350 amps.
• 6 cylinder gas engine -typically draws up to 210 amps.
• 6 cylinder diesel -typically draws up to 450 amps.
• 8 cylinder gas -typically draws up to 250 amps.
• 8 cylinder diesel -typically draws up to 650 amps."

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-20-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 06:54 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

fly
like i said I use the car every day so the battery is tight. but if the car going to sit I disconnect the battery. I disconnect when it sit.
I have no problem with disconnecting battery. the seat is set so worry about it done bother me. i'm 71 an still like going quick. that just me. I don't use the Nav. system mybe you do I know were i'm going. when I go to Florida I don't use the Nav. system I know were i'm going. little thing don't bother me some people make a big deal about little things.

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-20-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 07:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

If I'm leaving my car stored for a month or more, I will disconnect both terminals. But with this battery I can leave the car sitting for at least a week and it will crank right up. That is the point of my comment. It was only $160 and works great with a 6 year guarantee. I feel that even leaving the car sitting for two days only to pop the hood to reconnect the negative, reset all settings, etc is an additional headache.
Additionally, bacardi, do you leave your car in the garage or outside in the nj cold? Im confused by your response. Being in a garage def saves the life of the battery as it stays warmer than the true outdoors. Also easier to do the battery connect/disconnect in a garage rather than in the cold and snow. Either way, choosing a battery that will last and perform through ALL conditions is the goal.
I also feel a loose ground is bad for the electrical system, even if temporary. Grounding issues alone for the electronics could cause permanent damage to them. Better to fully disconnect and insulate the ground to avoid shorts by accidental contact with the positive if storing for an extended time. Bacardi, I don't understand why you disconnect/losen the negative if only sitting for two days? If you left the Li-battery connected for a week and didn't use the car, would it start on Day 8 without problems?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-20-15 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: SC430 Battery Drain