SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 09:24 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are having troubles with a car that sits, first thing is to have the battery load-tested. SC 430 is not very forgiving for a marginal battery. I suffered with a marginal batter for two years (couldn't sit for more than a week, didn't spin over all that fast). Finally discovered a bad cell. New battery spins fast and now the car can sit in a cold, unheated midwestern garage in winter for a month and still spin strong.
Old 02-11-15, 10:48 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
If you are having troubles with a car that sits, first thing is to have the battery load-tested. SC 430 is not very forgiving for a marginal battery. I suffered with a marginal batter for two years (couldn't sit for more than a week, didn't spin over all that fast). Finally discovered a bad cell. New battery spins fast and now the car can sit in a cold, unheated midwestern garage in winter for a month and still spin strong.
Given your sc is a 2002 consider yourself very fortunate. Most owners in the forum have had this issue with parasitic drain especially if they don't use a battery tender. I have a 2005 and had to replace the OEM battery in june of 2014. I always have used a battery tender. I also have the luxlink with the 1/4 window mod.

Last edited by mrblister; 02-11-15 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 11:10 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Let me also state that I had lots of battery issues in the past on my 2002, especially after the car has been sitting for a time period (few days). On my third battery now (OEM, Walmart, Interstate currently) with only 42,000 miles. Furthermore, once I changed all my interior and exterior lights to LED's, I have not had a single problem. My car always starts up and no problems even after sitting for a week. I even use the LuxLink pretty often to remote start. No issues.
Old 02-11-15, 11:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Let me also state that I had lots of battery issues in the past on my 2002, especially after the car has been sitting for a time period (few days). On my third battery now (OEM, Walmart, Interstate currently) with only 42,000 miles. Furthermore, once I changed all my interior and exterior lights to LED's, I have not had a single problem. My car always starts up and no problems even after sitting for a week. I even use the LuxLink pretty often to remote start. No issues.
Its true the LED use less juice then incandescent. However if the car is sitting then it would not matter if your lights were LED or incandescent unless you left your trunk open [ I have done this in the past ] My car sits a lot so since I always have used the battery tender I really don't know how long I could go with out the tender hooked up. my guess is maybe a week 10 days at most. There is a normal draw on the battery alarm and memory sensitive demands. From reading on the forum many owners have found a parasitic drain that can be higher then normal. I think the later models 2008 and up were less prone to this.
Old 02-11-15, 11:27 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Well one particular situation that I noticed once I switch to LED"s: The door panel light is continually on even when the door is locked and security is active; very dim but on nonetheless. This being said, I've justified that LED's require less power to illuminate vs incandescent bulbs. Therefore the draw is still there but not enough to illuminate the OEM incandescent but enough to show an active draw on an LED. After a week, it's pretty much like leaving your trunk open right? Therefore, I believe this to be an explanation of one aspect of the parasitic draw. Now that I've have LED's all my battery problems have resolved. Just a connection I've realized. I've even added a 250 watt amp and capacitor and still no issues. As some one pointed out that turning off the auto-headlight feature is a fix. Since my exterior lights are all LEDs (except the HID) this could also help. Just saying.
Old 02-11-15, 11:43 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Well one particular situation that I noticed once I switch to LED"s: The door panel light is continually on even when the door is locked and security is active; very dim but on nonetheless. This being said, I've justified that LED's require less power to illuminate vs incandescent bulbs. Therefore the draw is still there but not enough to illuminate the OEM incandescent but enough to show an active draw on an LED. After a week, it's pretty much like leaving your trunk open right? Therefore, I believe this to be an explanation of one aspect of the parasitic draw. Now that I've have LED's all my battery problems have resolved. Just a connection I've realized. I've even added a 250 watt amp and capacitor and still no issues. As some one pointed out that turning off the auto-headlight feature is a fix. Since my exterior lights are all LEDs (except the HID) this could also help. Just saying.
I am going to measure the voltage at the courtesy light fixture and see if I detect any voltage there.
Since the receiver for key fob is active so you are able to lower the windows and open or lock the doors it just could be some stray voltage is in the courtesy light fixtures since they do illuminate and are in the circuit.
Old 02-11-15, 12:06 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of my interior lights and the majority of the exterior lights are all LED. But my car will not last sitting a week like many others have mentioned. Actually, I just replaced an Optima Red top under warranty last week after it completely went dead after the car sat for a month.

I'm going to try the Walmart interstate next
Old 02-11-15, 05:07 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

reebb
I had this problem for years. if sits 5 days must be jumped. what I do is keep the battery Neg. cable a little lose and take off when sitting back on to go. no matter what battery use the same thing will happen.

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-11-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 07:00 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Reellb, I actually had the OEM, then a Walmart brand, and now the Interstate which I bought at my mechanic shop. Not sure if Walmart sells Interstate or not, but in any case I'm so happy with it.
Old 02-11-15, 08:34 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Originally Posted by bacardi11
reebb
I had this problem for years. if sits 5 days must be jumpe hat I do is keep the battery Neg. cable a little lose and take off when sitting back on to go. no matter what battery use the same thing will happen.

I'll give this a try and will report back

Reellb, I actually had the OEM, then a Walmart brand, and now the Interstate which I bought at my mechanic shop. Not sure if Walmart sells Interstate or not, but in any case I'm so happy with it.

How many CCA on the interstate battery???
Old 02-16-15, 07:08 AM
NOsburn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NOsburn
• Autozone Duralast Platinum H6-AGM, an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery $162 before any discounts, 3 years free replacement plus 2 years prorated.

This is AutoZone's best, so have put it in. Will see how it works....

NOsburn
Platinum battery has been in my 2002 for approximately 1 month and no problems!

NOsburn
Old 02-16-15, 08:12 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same battery for 6 months now, I parked my car for 6 days just last week and it starts right up. No problem here.
Old 02-16-15, 11:29 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Sc 300/400 have this same problem as well, but when U let them sit for long period as I have its sucking all the juice out of the battery. The computer chips are always running so if u do this frequently and have a garage disengage the car alarm and buy a battery floater, which I have and use... NO problems since I've purchased. This place/store has it for the cheapest price.
http://t.harborfreight.com/Automatic...A1In0%3D%0D%0A
Old 02-16-15, 02:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

While many owners have reported the parasitic drain problem, it seems like all LuxLink owners have this problem.
Old 02-16-15, 02:52 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
While many owners have reported the parasitic drain problem, it seems like all LuxLink owners have this problem.
This problem of a drained battery was even mentioned in Sc300/400 manual, which said leaving the vechile sitting/not driven will effect the battery unabling, the Lexus' to start. I'll see if I can find the mentioning in the manual?

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 02-16-15 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: SC430 Battery Drain