SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

When to drive with the Top Down

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 10:26 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default When to drive with the Top Down

As many of you know I had just purchased the SC430 about 3 months ago. I am not used to driving with the top down. What I want to know are pretty much DO's and Don'ts and when and where. Thanks
Old 12-10-14, 10:31 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
As many of you know I had just purchased the SC430 about 3 months ago. I am not used to driving with the top down. What I want to know are pretty much DO's and Don'ts and when and where. Thanks
...lol...anytime you want to drop the top, is a pretty good time to me
Old 12-11-14, 06:13 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't drop it when it's raining

Don't drop it when parked under a tree that is full of birds

Don't drop it after your wife just had her hair done

I drop mine anytime i feel like it when it's not raining and the outside temperature is over 70 dF. I wear a hat so my bald spot doesn't get sunburned.

EDIT: My wife wants me to add, make sure that there is nothing in the trunk that would interfere with storage of the top. Several people have made the mistake of placing something on the curtain in the trunk and caused the rear window to break when dropping the top

Last edited by FLYCT; 12-11-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 06:13 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it only takes a push of a button and about 20 seconds - Anytime you feel like it. When the weather is nice, if I pull up to a light that has just changed, I'll hit the "magic button", turn off the AC and I'll be good to go before the light changes (plus the people around you will enjoy the show - especially the kids!).

Here in Florida, you really never lower the top during the daytime in the summer though, or you'll fry.....but on warm nights, and whenever I go to the Beach, the top is always down. It's also fun to go looking at Christmas lights and New Years Fireworks ....but you may not be able to do that in the Great White North
Old 12-11-14, 06:49 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Southern California I often see drivers with their tops down in 100 degree heat. Often with black interior. All we need is to have an earthquake when they're driving and it would be shake and bake time!
Old 12-11-14, 07:02 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
....but you may not be able to do that in the Great White North
OUCH
We just had 8" of snow last night.
Baby's sleeping for the winter on a trickle charger.
'Top Down' is not an issue until April.
rich
Old 12-11-14, 09:18 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
OUCH
We just had 8" of snow last night.
Baby's sleeping for the winter on a trickle charger.
'Top Down' is not an issue until April.
rich
I know what you are going through. Before moving to Florida we lived in Utica (Griffiss AFB)

Down here today we had the same cold front come through. The wall thermometer in the pool patio area shows it's a cold 65 dF right now. That's about 10 degrees cooler than normal for this time of year.

Pool water is too cold to swim in at 64 degrees. If it warms up next week we will fire up the pool heater to get it up to our comfortable 85 degree temp and go for a swim.

PS, Top is already down on the SC430 and getting ready for a nice ride. Being retired every day is Saturday.
Old 12-11-14, 11:41 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the problem with stuff on the trunk separator breaking top components because I let it roll back whenever I want to put something up in the front (of the car) portion of the trunk. If you only pull out the separator when you empty the trunk then you'll never break your roof or rear window.

Put snow tires on if you live in the north. I have Blizzaks and 2 snowstorms later I'm not worried about handling.

Keep a baseball cap or hat in the car - the little net in the passenger foot well is a good place, or the deep part of the center console. Good to have when you want to drop the top to keep your hair in place or sun out of your eyes.

Drop the top if it's 50 and sunny or warmer. If the sun is shining it feels warm even in 50 degree weather. That's what seat heaters and side windows are for. Nothing like a crisp day with the top down, sun in your face, heat blowing and tunes playing.

If it starts raining when the top is down keep driving - you won't get wet if you keep it over 40ish mph.

If you think to yourself "I wonder if I should drop the top?" the answer is yes :-) Don't let rules keep you from enjoying the car.
Old 12-11-14, 03:53 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can drop/raise the top when the car is in the garage. I can do it in mine without it catching the roof or garage doors. Try it slow before doing it though. You never know when you leave your car in there one night and it's raining the next morning.

When the weather is too hot or cold, try running the a/c and heater on the 65 or 85 degrees but it works better when you're not in Auto mode. Experiment with the air going to your feet or to your face or both. You'll be surprise how comfortable you can still drive with the top down. I'm usually top down driving between 40-90 degrees here in Dallas.

The SC is a VERY solid car at highway speed compare to other convertibles. Very little wind noise until you break 70mph. You'll know what I mean when you sit/drive another convertible.

If it's sprinkling to moderate rain, you can drive about 60-70mph and not get wet. Trust me, I've done this. We have tollways here with 70mph speed limit and I've been caught in patches of rain while driving.

The interior will get dusty... A LOT so you don't need to dust it. Just drive with the top down some more and it'll dust itself. Problem also is that the leather seats and seat belts will get dirty FAST.

Pack 2 pair of sunglasses in the car at all times, your passenger will thank you. I also leave a light jacket in the car.
Old 12-11-14, 04:54 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When to drop the top? Anytime you can move the stuff in the trunk into the back seat! A/C and heat really do solve temp issues. If rain is anticipated, I would rather stay dry though.
Old 12-11-14, 06:31 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

One thing no one else mentioned, if driving top down at moderate speed ( say on a back road ) and you see the car in front operate their windshield washer, slow down some more or you'll get some sprinkles you don't really want or need.
Old 12-11-14, 08:29 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. The reason I asked was because I heard that you are not supposed to drive with the top down on the freeways or at night. Also, when I was driving with the top down when it was around 95 degrees I was getting some comments from friends saying who drives with the top down when it's this hot.
Old 12-11-14, 08:41 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. The reason I asked was because I heard that you are not supposed to drive with the top down on the freeways or at night. Also, when I was driving with the top down when it was around 95 degrees I was getting some comments from friends saying who drives with the top down when it's this hot.
If its 80 degrees and above, I try to only put the top down when its sunset. Would not do it with the sun up and blazing away. But that's just me - have seen many people driving top down when it is 90 and sunny (with sunblock on).

Dunno what the problem is driving top down on the freeway except it's just not that pleasant when you're close to a large truck. The solution is to hit the gas cos you'll outrun most trucks.

On a warm 80+ degree evening, I think top down driving is perfect after sunset - the wind takes care of your cooling needs.
Old 12-12-14, 05:42 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's like my motorcycle - it's all in how you dress and prepare. I prefer cooler weather while my wife likes it warmer so we keep an assortment of layers in the trunk of the car (cargo net works great) or in the bags on the bike. Expecting highs in the 40s today but we're taking the car to drive through the celebration of lights at our local city park tonight. We'll drop the top (when we get there!), turn up the seat heaters, find holiday music on the radio and enjoy the lights. Then, top up for the trip home!

My motorcycle is not as much fun on the interstate around trucks either
Old 12-12-14, 12:35 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Don't drop it when it's raining

Don't drop it when parked under a tree that is full of birds

Don't drop it after your wife just had her hair done

I drop mine anytime i feel like it when it's not raining and the outside temperature is over 70 dF. I wear a hat so my bald spot doesn't get sunburned.

EDIT: My wife wants me to add, make sure that there is nothing in the trunk that would interfere with storage of the top. Several people have made the mistake of placing something on the curtain in the trunk and caused the rear window to break when dropping the top
Great advice concerning the bald spot!

Quick Reply: When to drive with the Top Down