bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes I bet you are if i know you.
Old 01-13-15, 07:51 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Harold, but the brown stuff you can see close to the R52 is just flux thats used when soldering. It gets brown because of the heat. That's normal. Also the spots at the R52 is one of the green LED's so cant have anything to do with that. Really don't know how to find out what causes the problem

But i have searched for the part number thats on my control unit which is 55900-24260 and actually found one for sale in USA. So i wonder if i can purchase that one and it then shows the clock in 24h and temperature in celcius or the part number can be the same in Europe and USA but still have differences. Btw i found out that the missing letters i have is not at the clock but at the temperature numbers. (Its a long time since i looked at it turned on).

Congrats on your new ride DarthSid. And yeah thank for the tip with the 3528 LEDs. Will use them if the 0603 isnt bright enough.
Old 01-13-15, 09:09 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Ok, just got a answer from the seller and its 12H and Fahrenheit

i wonder if the display itself is the same of if there is difference. Otherwise i could just solder in the other one. Hmm... is the difference in the display or in some e-prom circuit on the board hmm..
Old 01-13-15, 12:39 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Thank you Harold, but the brown stuff you can see close to the R52 is just flux thats used when soldering. It gets brown because of the heat. That's normal. Also the spots at the R52 is one of the green LED's so cant have anything to do with that. Really don't know how to find out what causes the problem

But i have searched for the part number thats on my control unit which is 55900-24260 and actually found one for sale in USA. So i wonder if i can purchase that one and it then shows the clock in 24h and temperature in celcius or the part number can be the same in Europe and USA but still have differences. Btw i found out that the missing letters i have is not at the clock but at the temperature numbers. (Its a long time since i looked at it turned on).

Congrats on your new ride DarthSid. And yeah thank for the tip with the 3528 LEDs. Will use them if the 0603 isnt bright enough.
My pleasure sir........ glad to help and thank you.
Old 01-13-15, 03:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Yes, I recognized it as flux, that is how I came to the conclusion that the solder joints had been retouched. Those joints have been "reflowed" since the OEM build, as indicated by the flux that wasn't cleaned off, whereas the rest of the joints are flux-free. I would be a little suspicious of those joints just because of that. However, if they pass the visual test, they are probably okay.

For low speed electronics, flux most likely won't cause a problem. Now if it were in a high humidity location, then the flux might be an issue or used in a high frequency circuit, but neither should be the situation here. So if they look okay, then just move on.
Old 01-14-15, 10:27 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

cant wait to see how it turns out rollaboy! I hate the green.

And Congratulations DarthSid, i'm really quite happy to see your upgrade, absolutely beautiful. You will definitely be missed, and thank you for all your help, couldn't have done certain mods without your help! who ever the new owner of that SC will be, they are going to get a great car.

I think I may be moving on from the SC soon too... I LOVE the SC's looks, but i never really stayed with a car too long but maybe itll be replaced for a newer one.

Porsche's are a blast to drive and very well built, the quality is just over the top. This car will be a surprise and bring a smile to your face every time you drive it

Enjoy and keep in touch!
Old 01-19-15, 08:19 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Ok, so just finished the install. Much thanks for the instructions from DarthSid. A few notes I will add... I had the hardest time removing the PWR switch. The photos below should help anyone having trouble. (as you can see i broke one of the walls circled in red). The clips were really tough to release. But with patience, the switches will remove. Use a few small blade screwdrivers to wedge the edges out until the switch actually pries loose. Neither surface rocker will actually come out. Only the "guts" will be removed. Once you have the switches installed and the LED's in place, CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS! I found that the PWR switch actually runs in reverse polarity also. So when the headlights are on it receives normal power, but when the headlights are off they are powered in reverse polarity (and thus illuminate when not supposed to be illuminated ie. daytime)! I recommend to have the headlights on when checking polarity and before actually clipping the switches back into the mounting spots on the back of the flat shifter panel. Good luck to all, and thanks again DarthSid!

>>Also, I had to cut a small part of the "wall" around the inner side of the VSC switch to allow more light to illuminate the letters. Didn't mess up any of the function but did allow more light to fill the letters.
ShawnOk - your pictures helped me get over the hump with the power switch. I was working on the small clips on the sides ... Thanks much

Darthsid - great mod but I'm not quite finished ... I think I blew a fuse when pulling out the shift bulb - that bulb, the two switches and the radio door switch and bulb do not work. The seat warmer switch and bulbs do still work. It's not a polarization issue given that I tested again with the original bulbs. Any ideas?

I'll check fuses in the morning but any tips would be great.
Old 01-19-15, 09:43 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Yeah you blew a 5a fuse. Its in the drivers side kick panel Did it myself once.

i will post some more pictures and info later today of my project.
Old 01-20-15, 07:16 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you blew a 5a fuse. Its in the drivers side kick panel Did it myself once.

i will post some more pictures and info later today of my project.
Thanks much! I'll get the LED's finished then on to the rest of my list
Old 01-21-15, 08:53 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Some of my progress

Got the 0603 SMD's but they are smaller than the ones installed. Very hard to solder these little badboys. I would strongly recommend to choose some bigger size like the 3528 as DarthSid said.

I used a piece of tape to hold the tiny 0603 SMD into place

Not the prettiest but it works

Then for the VSC button. When installing the SMD is not lightning everything up

So i had to mod the SMD and twist it 90 degrees in the T3 socket so its pointing upwards.

Works great now Also added the T4 LED 1210 SMD for the mirror adjustment and T5 LED 3-SMD 1210 for the circle around the key ignition.

Passenger side:

And the drivers side. Added an amber SMD for the driver AUTO control switch to make something a little different

Next is the Climate control unit. Just got the LED's in the mail.

Last edited by Rollaboy; 01-31-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 09:18 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Had my window switches changed too! Respect to an awesome electrician! Rollaboy, would love to see the DIY on how to remove the ignition light and the mirror light too! Would be very interested in changing mine! Great work!
Old 01-21-15, 04:00 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Nice job Rollaboy!
Old 01-21-15, 04:03 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Strange, my mirror adjustment doesn't light up. Rollaboy, did you customize it or are my lights just not working? Would still like to see a DIY for the ignition, please. :-)
Old 01-23-15, 08:58 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Well here's some news

The mirror buttons: You just reach under and pop it out.

The T4 SMD LED needs a bit of work to fit inside the housing and spread the light so all four arrows lights up even.

While playing around testing different angles i somehow blew the fuse for the interior light. Its the 5a in the driverside kickpanel.

The T5 LED 3-SMD 1210 for the circle around the key ignition is difficult because there is almost no space. So you need small fingers but you can almost only touch the socket with on finger while laying on you back over the doorsill and the driver seat. The best way was to take a flat screwdriver and there is a small recess in the socket where you can manage to get the socket unscrewed. It takes alot of patience. Also the other way when installing it again. But its worth the trouble

Got the new white LED's for the climate control unit. I tested the 3mm but they are way to bright and the light is centered on the middle so it does not look good on the buttons. So instead of the 3,5mm green LED's i fitted 5mm LED straw hats with much more wide light. It works perfect, so thats the way to go.

Took some hours to do the job. The hardest part was to get the old LED's out. Again, patience patience patience. You don't want to rush this and ruin something. I don't wanna call myself an expert but if you don't have any skills in soldering advanced stuff then this is not something for you.

Because of the bigger 5mm LED's the mechanism for the fan adjustment button is not working. So you have to "shave" the LED's to fit before soldering.

Here you can see how i removed the base of the LED so there is enough space for the mechanism to work.

Here is the LED's mounted for the navigation control bar.

Had to cut of the rubber because the new LED's are bigger. Not a big deal.

Behind 4 of the buttons there is located frosted plastic pieces. I don't know exactly why they are there but i removed them to get a even light.

And here you have it. The final product i only need a new display so the temperature digits are showing correctly. No more green inside this Lexus!

Last edited by Rollaboy; 01-31-15 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 09:37 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Rollaboy, that is awesome! I wish you lived here in the US! I would def want to have the AC modification done on my SC430! Another question, i don't think my mirror adjustment has any lights as it is. So was this something you added or was there originally a light in yours? Maybe they changed this option on certain years? Also, did you change the green light on the push button to move the radio door? If, so... any DIY? Are you still running the OEM headunit? Thanks and great work!

Quick Reply: Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod