SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thinking about buying an sc430 but it has issues need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 07:12 PM
Jtebo22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an sc430 but it has issues need advice

I found an amazing deal on a Lexus sc430. Always wanted one but never had the budget because it's never been the most practical car for the family. Now I found an amazing deal on one! So amazing it can be a fun car and not have to worry about anything else but it comes with a catch. It needs a little work. So now I need to see if it's worth the work or if it's just to much and just walk away and keep saving. 1. Top doesn't want to work. No power seems to be going to the top. 2. Windshield wipers work when they want to and when they start they don't want to shut off. 3. Speedometer doesn't tell correct speed.... So could all this be connect with a major electrical issue? Or maybe just a small one? Or is it all separate expensive issues? Any advice would help! Thanks!!
Old 11-25-14, 08:22 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Just the issue with the top alone would make me afraid. But it is all about how much your savings are. Personally, if ever my top fails, I would prepare $5k and then be relieved if the fix came in less than that. But that is just me. Some people have managed to fix minor top issues for not much $$ at all. Qn is do you feel lucky ? And will the savings on the great deal compensate you if the cost to fix came in at the higher end ....
Old 11-25-14, 08:53 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the owner tell you why the top doesn't work? Is it because of an accident or just plain abused? The wipers could be the relay is sticking. The speedo could be the speed sensor. I do agree with OBP that the top is an unknown and may be big bucks to resolve. You did not mention the year and mileage of the car.
Old 11-26-14, 01:00 AM
Jtebo22
Driver School Candidate

It's an 02 with 100k miles. The owner is in his 80s and knows nothing and is selling the car to me for 4k because of the problems.
Old 11-26-14, 06:33 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

For $4K, I would say the risk is fair if the rest of the car runs well, is in good condition and it is just the few problems you noticed. It would hurt to ( at worst ) pay an extra $5-6K to get everything resolved but as long as the car has not been abused, you could easily get another 100K miles out of it and look really cool for each of those 100K miles. Regular maintenance tips to help you save big $ on normal stuff is easily available on this forum and people are very willing to help so you will not be alone. On the other hand, an abused car could be hiding other problems just waiting to surface so best to assess how the seller kept up with regular maintenance.

For eg. did he change the timing belt/water pump/pulleys or does he want you to do that ? Should have been done 2 or 3 years ago based on age of the car. Important repair involving big $ - an owner who cares about his car would have done it. An abuser would not have done it.
Old 11-26-14, 08:54 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where in Florida are you located.

If the body and interior are in decent shape $4k would be a good deal assuming you have another $5,000 or so available to put into it.

It would be worth it to take it to a Lexus dealer and get their estimate on what repairs would be needed.
Old 11-26-14, 10:02 AM
Toysled
Driver

Originally Posted by Jtebo22
I found an amazing deal on a Lexus sc430. Always wanted one but never had the budget because it's never been the most practical car for the family. Now I found an amazing deal on one! So amazing it can be a fun car and not have to worry about anything else but it comes with a catch. It needs a little work. So now I need to see if it's worth the work or if it's just to much and just walk away and keep saving. 1. Top doesn't want to work. No power seems to be going to the top. 2. Windshield wipers work when they want to and when they start they don't want to shut off. 3. Speedometer doesn't tell correct speed.... So could all this be connect with a major electrical issue? Or maybe just a small one? Or is it all separate expensive issues? Any advice would help! Thanks!!
As for the top, make sure the package tray in the trunk area is in place. The wipers.... is it still on intermittent setting? Good luck!!
Old 11-26-14, 02:06 PM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4K sounds like it would be worth taking a chance if the rest of the car is in decent shape.

Something else to look for with the roof; it may be as simple as the "valet" switch being engaged (in the glove box). If that switch is on - the roof is locked and inoperable...I don't think the roof error light will even come on.
If the package tray in the trunk is not set, or you have another error, you will get a red flashing light.

Here's a pic of the Valet switch from a post by bigblack06 (switch is to the bottom left):

Good luck...

Last edited by NAmVet68; 11-26-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 03:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...if it runs, I think $4k isn't bad at all. I'm assuming it wouldn't be your only car.If this is the case, you could put it back to OEM or mod it to your liking....good luck to you either way
Old 11-26-14, 04:05 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtebo22
Walk away and keep saving... Sounds like a possible flood car with all of the electrical issues you've described. It's very possible coming from Florida.
Old 12-01-14, 04:16 AM
medsc430
Driver School Candidate

Of course information is the key to winning this game. Yes, $4k sounds like an unbelievable deal but without some key questions previously put forth here, you are just involving yourself in a game of street craps. To lower your risk and increase your odds you might see if the owner would allow you to take the car to a reputable wrench for an evaluation. Then you can get a better feel for what you're dealing with, as far as repairs, check your wallet and move forward w some degree of certainty. Otherwise you're just winging the dice at the wall, hoping the numbers fall in your favor.
Old 12-01-14, 05:33 AM
daveLL
Driver School Candidate

at $4k, even if the car wont run, you can probably part it for decent profit. just a thought.
Old 12-01-14, 08:21 PM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a clean title, it's a good price.