Seafoam Into PCV Valve DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 07:04 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seafoam Into PCV Valve DIY

Dear Friends,

I recently put Seafoam into my car through the PCV line. Seafoam through a vacuum line is supposed to clean the injectors, improve mpg, and increase acceleration. This stuff works like a dream! This is also a good time to replace your PCV value, which is also thought to improve performance if carbon deposits are present.

It took me some time to figure out the process, so I thought I would do a write up for everyone:

1. Get the necessary supplies.

Seafoam ($9)
Turkey Baster ($2)
OEM PCV Value ($10, optional)

2. Take of engine cover by unscrewing two 10mm bolts.

3. Locate the PCV Valve.

This is the most difficult step. Here is a pic of the location.

Just pull out the line next to the oil fill area and you will know you will have access the PCV line if you find a "blue" colored valve. This is the OEM PCV valve. Here is what it looks like:

It is is also good to replace the valve, and you can buy one very cheap on amazon that is OEM,

Amazon Amazon

4. With your engine running, pull out the PCV valve. You will hear an audible "hissing". Don't pull off the PCV valve with the engine running. If you do, the engine idle will go crazy. If you want to change the PCV valve, just do it with your engine off.

5. Now comes the fun part. Get your bottle of Seafoam and the turkey baster. Suck about 1/3 of the bottle or so into the baster (this may take two tries, since most turkey basters will not hold that much volume).

Next, with the engine running SLOWLY drip the Seafoam directly through the PCV Valve. With each drip you will hear the engine idle change. This is because you are introducing a non-gasoline substance to the engine. That's the purpose of using the turkey baster to slowly drip Seafoam into the engine; if you dump in too much at one time you will hydrolock the engine.

6. Now put your PCV valve back on and make sure it is secure. Go into your vehicle and press the gas. You will get a HUGE puff of WHITE steam coming out of your exhaust! That steam indicates that your engine has been cleaned!

7. Now go for a test drive. You should immediately feel a difference. Acceleration will kick ***, especially if your car has not had fuel injectors previously cleaned.

8. You are finished! But I there are several other things to consider. You can also put the remaining Seafoam in equal portions into your engine oil and gas tank. I have read that the Seafoam cleans your oil deposits and in the gas take it further cleans the fuel system,

Something did odd happen in my situation. I recently changed my oil and it was black as night, which is really odd. Then I remembered reading that each time you put in Seafoam you should also change your oil and even your spark plugs. The Seafoam cleans everything in the fuel system and I guess all that gunk ends up in the oil. I am planning to change my plugs soon, and I will update this post as to whether the plugs are corroded prematurely

All-in-all, adding Seafoam via the PCV Valve is an extremely cheap way of cleaning your engine, about $10 and less than an hour of your time. At Jiffy Lube I had this done previousely, they charged $119, and I cannot even imagine how much the dealership would charge!
Old 11-14-14, 07:17 AM
MrAM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got some snake oil for sale if you're interested. It'll give you 50bhp extra.
Old 11-14-14, 07:34 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Seafoam really works! Check out other posts or use reviews on amazon!
Old 11-14-14, 07:54 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Seafoam really works! Check out other posts or use reviews on amazon!
I user it in both of my motorcycles every fill up as well as in my sc430 and gx470

I add a small amount 3 to 4 ounces to the gas tanks of the cars when I fill up every other time
The bike I add about 2 ounces on fill up as well. I have never had to pull the carbs on either bike to clean because the seafoam does its job. There is a religious cult out there that swears by the stuff . If you google jbtools.com you will find it there . I buy it by the case 12 cans for 80,00 Some store sell it for 10..00 to 12.00 per can .