SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

More on Sway Bars..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 07:42 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default More on Sway Bars..

According to my research on CL, our cars can be upgraded with rear sway bars from the 2008 Lexus ISF. Sewell offers us a great discount if we register with our CL username. I was shocked at the deep discounts they provide.

Here is the 17mm sway bar kit they are selling for $136 reduced from about $294, complete with bushings and brackets:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2002/2893.html

As far as I can see on may car, installation only requires removal of six bolts: 2 pairs on the brackets and 1 on each side of the sway bars attaching to the sway bar links.

Aside from the pain of removing these tough bolts with a breaker bar, can the install really be that easy? Does anyone have any other tips or advice on the install? I recall a previous thread mentioned something about being careful with the sway bar installation or else the VSC light could come on?

Aside from red, what other colors would you recommend to paint? Blue? Green?

Comments and/or critisisms are welcomed
Old 11-04-14, 09:36 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
just get the 2008 ISF bar and brackets Drill to fit.. next go to FIGS an get the IS300 bushings they are poly bushings. I didn't paint mine front or back no one see them if you want them to look nice paint them.
Old 11-04-14, 09:58 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

But isn't that kit from Sewell the exact same thing?? Its 17mm so it must be from the ISF? It would come to about the same price
Old 11-04-14, 12:03 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
According to my research on CL, our cars can be upgraded with rear sway bars from the 2008 Lexus ISF. Sewell offers us a great discount if we register with our CL username. I was shocked at the deep discounts they provide.

Here is the 17mm sway bar kit they are selling for $136 reduced from about $294, complete with bushings and brackets:

As far as I can see on may car, installation only requires removal of six bolts: 2 pairs on the brackets and 1 on each side of the sway bars attaching to the sway bar links.

Aside from the pain of removing these tough bolts with a breaker bar, can the install really be that easy? Does anyone have any other tips or advice on the install? I recall a previous thread mentioned something about being careful with the sway bar installation or else the VSC light could come on?

Also take into consideration when you upgrade the rear sway bar the opening at each end of the bar is larger than the OEM. I also recommend you upgrade the stabilizer links as well. Here is a screen print where I ordered my links. The threaded shaft is the perfect size to fit the eye opening on the sway bar which will eliminate play. And lastly, the links are 1/2 inch shorter just in case you decide to lower your car. I came across these links after doing some research because I discovered the Mevotech links will likely rub against the rear coils on the OEM shocks.
Attached Thumbnails More on Sway Bars..-image.jpg  
Old 11-04-14, 12:10 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Do you think I can get away with not upgrading the sway bar links? And is that a pair of the sway bar links on amazon or just one? Did you do the install yourself? Thanks
Old 11-04-14, 12:24 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBrett

I did my mod upgrade with my car on a flat leveled surface in my garage. I used a floor jack, raised the rear end and placed 6 inch tall blocks of wood under each rear tire, and lowered the car on the blocks with a tire chock at the front tires. I loosened the large bottom bolt that holds the shock in place for each side. I then loosened the nuts on the links at the sway bar, followed by the link bolts at the arm. If you don't loosen the shock bolts you will have a very difficult time removing the links. I also removed the cross members as this will help by creating room to remove the sway bar. Remove the nuts on the brackets and carefully remove the sway bar. I also removed my muffler not because it was required to complete the mod, but because I wanted to paint my muffler.
Attached Thumbnails More on Sway Bars..-image.jpg  
Old 02-13-15, 08:45 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DarthSid
I did my mod upgrade with my car on a flat leveled surface in my garage. I used a floor jack, raised the rear end and placed 6 inch tall blocks of wood under each rear tire, and lowered the car on the blocks with a tire chock at the front tires. I loosened the large bottom bolt that holds the shock in place for each side. I then loosened the nuts on the links at the sway bar, followed by the link bolts at the arm. If you don't loosen the shock bolts you will have a very difficult time removing the links. I also removed the cross members as this will help by creating room to remove the sway bar. Remove the nuts on the brackets and carefully remove the sway bar. I also removed my muffler not because it was required to complete the mod, but because I wanted to paint my muffler.
Did you just order 2 of the Toyota end link (48830-30090) for each side? Is it 1/2" or 1" shorter than the Sc430 one? Lexus told me they were 1" shorter, but I read on this site that they are 1/2" shorter.
Thanks
Old 02-13-15, 09:48 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I use the same links that Darthsid used.
Old 02-13-15, 11:57 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bacardi - can these links be used if you are not lowering the car? DarthSid mentioned the links were 1/2 inch shorter than stock. Will they work with the 2008 ISF 17mm bar and stock rear suspension?
Old 02-13-15, 12:43 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

bilque
I use them on my car. I use Swift Spring and i'm lowered only .6 in the rear they work for me. darthsid and me talked about this. a 1/2' will not make any real difference.

Last edited by bacardi11; 02-13-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 04:11 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and ordered a couple of the ISF End Links (48830-30090).

I think I'm also going to look at building some adjustable ones using Heim joints, but that's a project for another time.
Old 02-13-15, 10:09 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Darthsid.. the underside of your car is so clean!!
Old 02-13-15, 11:13 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

kuW
darthsid has move on he may stop by.
Old 02-14-15, 02:59 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

ohh.. lol I didn't see the date on his post.