SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Making my car battery charger friendly

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 03:31 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making my car battery charger friendly

Summer is done here in Washington State and my SC will be inactive through much of the winter. With this in mind, I bought a BatteryMinder Model 2012 charger. This is a low-amperage temperature-compensating multi-stage charger/maintainer/desulfator that is supposed to avoid the wear and tear that lesser chargers inflict on batteries in long-term storage.

The charger comes with a 2-foot cable section with a terminal connection on one end and a capped plug on the other. I like the idea of an easy disconnect so I don't have to get under the hood each time I want to take the car out for a jaunt. My first thought was to run the cable and plug to the grill area of the car, except there's no easy way to do this without the plug showing. Also, the permanently-attached cable is only 2-feet long.

So I'm wondering about the windshield wiper tray, passing from the battery over the hood's rubber seal:

I attached a photo, showing where the charger cable might run. I can't see any conflict with the wiper or other functions. Am I missing anything?

The charger itself would be screwed to the garage wall.

Also, how about using a charger/maintainer with a cover over the car? This charger should not be pushing the battery and causing any water loss. So, I'm thinking that destructive gases should not be a problem. Again, am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails Making my car battery charger friendly-cable-layout.jpg  
Old 10-28-14, 05:50 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you're going to compromise the integrity of the rubber seal so water is likely to get in when you're out driving on one of your jaunts. Not a huge likelihood now because you're only going when it's nice out but in the event the weather turns foul, you'll have water in the engine compartment. Again, not a biggie except at the very least you'll want to make sure you have a drip loop in both legs of that wire going to the battery. The way you've got it drawn water will run down the wires to the terminals and you'll likely end up with corrosion at the battery posts.

Jim
Old 10-28-14, 07:06 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Would it make sense to go through the rubber seal and use a flexible sealant?

Okay, you people from the Great White North, what do you do when you put your SC away for the winter?
Old 10-28-14, 07:52 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are my 2 SC430s resting comfortably in the garage a few months ago.

Old 10-29-14, 07:51 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
Okay, you people from the Great White North, what do you do when you put your SC away for the winter?
I'm putting snow tires on and will drive it except when it's actually snowing Nothing like a sunny January day with the top down (my wife has the Volvo C70 vert), heat blasting, seat heaters on and a hat & scarf. People look at you funny but I think it's just because they're jealous
Old 10-29-14, 10:01 AM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
I just finished up yesterday. I have a similar set up with a Battery Tender. Permanent install at the battery/ground but I run the disconnect cable out the front by the headlight seal and hood gap. It makes it easier to put on the car cover. Did the same last year with no discernible affect to the engine compartment or battery from off-gassing or any indentations at the headlight seal. I'd show you but the cover is on!

PS there is a body ground point located not far from the battery for that (-) cable...
Old 10-29-14, 06:30 PM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Minder

I drive mine all year round unless there'e actual snow on the ground. When that happens I have the Minder on the battery and just pop the hood. I made up an extension so the cable exits out the front so now I don't have to do even that.
Old 10-29-14, 10:53 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I just spent almost $3000 completely cherrying up my SC's paint. She looks, in a word, gorgeous. The two of us have two other 4WD vehicles to drive. So, I plan to take the SC out only when conditions don't threaten the paint, which means a lot of downtime here in our area of the Great White North.

I still plan to use my BatteryMinder with the ring terminals bolted to the battery and the easy disconnect plug. I'm still thinking about the location for the plug: In the wiper tray or extended to the front. I'm still leaning toward the wiper tray, assuming I'm satisfied it won't rattle or create a leak.

I'm glad to hear I can use my cover without concern about fumes. My Indigo Ink Pearl shows every speck of dust!

I like the idea of a sunny, mild, dry winter day when I can throw back the cover, unplug the battery and go for a joyride in my shiny clean SC! It can happen!