SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Followup " your valued opinion"

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 11:01 AM
rfided
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Followup " your valued opinion"

I spent over a year looking for an SC. I thought i found one at Sewell Infinity in Ft. Worth. Mr Sale guy Chance was credible (so i hoped). My credit application was approved and scheduled for pickup Wednesday. I called today to find out what time i was to pickup the car. Chance told me they sold the card to someone else last night but didn't bother to tell me the small detail.

I always prided myself in doing the right thing based on trust. Obviously these guy dont know the meaning. Ill think I take a rest looking for an Sc for awhile. Thanks for your good words and support.
Old 10-28-14, 11:18 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that a ***** to do that someone offered more money and they sold it from under you. if they had a deal that should not happened.

Last edited by bacardi11; 10-28-14 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 12:30 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you have a signed sales agreement from them?

If no, then it was not binding from their perspective.

If you did then there should be some recourse for you.
Old 10-28-14, 12:34 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

When ever I have bought a car used or otherwise from a dealer there was always a deposit required . Did not have to be a lot of money is just made the contract valid.
Old 10-28-14, 12:36 PM
bhop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rfided: Sorry to hear that story. My only dealings with Sewell were at the Dallas Lexus store and all were done with one individual. Some of the easiest, most enjoyable car buying experiences of my life. Keep looking..it's worth the effort to find an SC430.
Old 10-28-14, 01:07 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Someone get a rope!
Old 10-28-14, 01:35 PM
rfided
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. There was never mention of a deposit. Contract was already written , would have been signed tomorrow (or soon if I had known. To your point - nothing binding leaves them open to a better offer.

Water under the bridge.

Ill let you know if i find another beauty. They're out there - just have to wait.
Old 10-28-14, 02:38 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rfided
Thanks for the feedback. There was never mention of a deposit. Contract was already written , would have been signed tomorrow (or soon if I had known. To your point - nothing binding leaves them open to a better offer.

Water under the bridge.

Ill let you know if i find another beauty. They're out there - just have to wait.
Unfortunately without a signed sales agreement and usually some form of deposit the other salesmen will circle like a school sharks to try and sell a desirable vehicle.
Old 10-28-14, 03:19 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Auctiondirectusa do the leg work for me. They came up with 3 cars before I chose one that met my strict criteria. 2007 Tigereye Micha with just under 60,000 miles. I don't think it was a super deal, but it was fair and they did go through the car completely. You might give them a shot.
Old 10-28-14, 04:16 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Typical car dealer. They are in it to maximize profit. My brother was in the business for 30 years as manager of fleet operations. He said all car sales managers never can be trusted to hold to their word.

I once had a signed buyers order for a brand new Ford Expedition to replace a 1 year old Expedition. No money was exchanged because dealer was waiting overnight for Ford Motor Credit to approve "substitution of collateral"

I went back next day to pick it up and found that they sold it. It had a big sign on the rear view mirror stating SOLD With my last name on it. When I confronted the GM he said someone offered $5,000 more than what I was paying but he would have the exact same car for me in 3 days from another dealer. I asked if the exact same car had the exact same vin number on my signed buyers order.

Three dates later I came back, drove the new Exoedition and didn't like the way it rode so I walked away. The GM was pissed and told me due to the dealer trade he lost his holdback. I walked away from this dealer and never bought another car from them. I did use them many times to get competitive pricing to drive price down from another dealer.
Old 10-28-14, 04:29 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To be legally binding contract law requires 3 things.
1. Offer
2. Acceptance
3. Consideration. (Deposit, no matter how small qualifies)

Also in Florida, at least, there is no such thing as a non-refundable deposit when it comes to buying a car. If you find a better deal the next day before picking up your car you can get your deposit back. Been there, done that.
Old 10-28-14, 05:44 PM
rfided
Driver School Candidate

Default interesting

I heard this manager wont accept any deposit if you low ball him. I did ask them if the needed a deposit and said you were buying Weds you didn't have to! Big mistake

Its all good.
Old 10-28-14, 05:57 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfided
I heard this manager wont accept any deposit if you low ball him. I did ask them if the needed a deposit and said you were buying Weds you didn't have to! Big mistake.
If you have that in writing (email or something) then he's guilty of bad faith as you did have a contract - the consideration in this case was offered but refused by the dealer explicitly telling you that you had a deal that was unaffected by the lack of a cash deposit. Since they're not likely to have a replacement (like they would in a new car situation) you might as well make a complaint with your state's department of consumer affairs and whatever regulatory agency that licenses auto dealers. While you're at it, you should go to cars.com and provide a negative dealer review (doesn't have to be on the car listing they had for this one if they did). Do the same with Yelp and file a complaint with the BBB. None of these will get you your car but they will warn others of this dealer's business practices.

Remember that for evil to flourish all it takes is for good men to remain silent. (something like that anyway) Bad dealers get away with being bad dealers because not enough people help shine the spotlight on them.

Good luck finding a new one - I love love love mine
Old 10-28-14, 09:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Im not defending the dealer but anyone who is into selling cars , or selling anything for that matter knows that you get so many talkers and very few buyers.

If you like a car you make sure you leave a deposit , sign a contract, or do whatever u need to do...... telling them you will be back in a couple days to finalize things wont cut it , they hear that stuff all the time.

When you see a car you want, you make sure u get it, otherwise ....... poof ,,,its gone
Old 10-29-14, 12:53 PM
bhop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rfided....i sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Followup " your valued opinion"