Finally replacing the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 08:23 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Did you put in the carputer.yet
It doesn't need it.

I put the CarPC in the Lexus because there were no factory options to play mp3s, get Satellite Radio, etc.

The Tesla comes with a factory Alpine head unit. It's got Nav, Sirius Satellite Radio, mp3 playback, iPod support, Bluetooth (both handsfree phone and streaming BT audio).

The only add-on I've installed so far is the head's-up display speedometer (because I can't see the regular speedo behind the steering wheel).
Old 10-28-14, 04:15 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
There are a lot of factors that affect the range; how aggressively you drive the car.
Habious is lucky to have sufficient range to make it around the block. After my test ride, I suggested barf bags be placed in the glove compartment.
Old 10-28-14, 06:56 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Habious is lucky to have sufficient range to make it around the block. After my test ride, I suggested barf bags be placed in the glove compartment.

I may have to screw something up on my garage queen sc430 to make a road trip to see this new rocket of yours. Is there enough room for you to play your left hand guitar?
Old 10-28-14, 07:17 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer to both question is...it depends.

As for range, "ideal" range, when new, is a little over 200 miles on a charge. This reduces slightly over time, as the battery pack ages. Also, "ideal" range is tough to achieve. There are a lot of factors that affect the range; how aggressively you drive the car, how fast you're going (wind resistance is one of the biggest factors that affects range), passengers (1 person or 2), accessories (if you drive at night...the headlights draw a lot of power, and reduce your range. If you drive when it's cold...the heater draws a lot of power, and reduces your range).

Mine, at full charge, shows a little over 180 miles of "ideal" range (it's a 3 year old car/battery). I expect to be able to get 140-150 miles of realistic range out of it, depending on how I drive it.

As for charging, it depends on the charger you opt to use. You can use the 110V, 15A cord that comes with the car. Plugs right into a standard home outlet. But, at that rate, assuming the car is just about dead, it'll take something like 35+ hours to charge it. Not exactly convenient.

There's a "Universal Mobile Charger" that runs 220V, 50A (comes with the car). Looks like a home dryer power plug. That charger will charge the car up (from about dead) in around 8 hours.

Tesla also sells a high-current (70A) home charger. And, with that, you can charge the car up (from around dead) in under 6 hours.

Of course, the idea is not to drive it until it's dead. If you put it on the charger when you're not using it, you'll get maximum range, and max life out of the battery.

Also, the charger doesn't charge the battery up to 100% (unless you ask it to) because this is hard on the batteries and reduces the lifespan of the battery pack. It does have the option to do a "Range" charge, which DOES charge the pack up to 100%, to maximize your range with the car (for a given trip), but this is hard on the battery pack, and Tesla doesn't recommend doing this on a regular basis.

My commute to/from work is about 25 miles, round trip. So, I could get by with charging it a little over once a week. But, I've just been keeping it on the charger at night. Also, right now I only have use of the super-slow 110V charger. I get the high-current circuit installed on Friday; then I can use the 220V/50A charger.

For sure it's not the most practical car on the planet...but I don't care! It's a toy, and I will not begin to pretend otherwise.
I'm a retired electric utility guy and the conservation department recently brought a Nissan Leaf over the mountains from Seattle to here - 135 miles at highway speeds and a 4,000 foot elevation change. They used a newly installed charging station on top of the mountain pass. They used that 1 recharge. I believe I recall that the charging station does a slow charge in 20 minutes and a fast charge in 12. I can't believe they can do that and keep those expensive batteries happy, but I am guessing that they do.

Here in the land of 3-cent hydroelectric power, I'm beginning to pay more attention to the electric cars, especially after seeing pictures of Habious' sweet ride.
Old 10-29-14, 05:08 AM
Habious

I may have to screw something up on my garage queen sc430 to make a road trip to see this new rocket of yours.
Come on down. If nothing's broken, we can surely find something to break!

Is there enough room for you to play your left hand guitar?
One of the first things I tried (after taking it for a spin). Results didn't look good.
Attached Thumbnails Finally replacing the SC430-guitar.jpg  
Old 10-29-14, 05:41 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

That's hysterical. Have to get a trailer !!
Old 10-29-14, 11:00 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Congrats Habious and enjoy.
Old 11-01-14, 01:01 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my 2003 SC430 since Oct 2006, and loved the whole ownership experience.

However, it's now 11 years old...and over 120,000 miles on the odometer.

Time to look for something new. I considered a 2010 SC430, just to get a bump in tech. But, even though they did bump up the tech a bit, it still never got up to the level of something like the IS-C.

The IS-C was high on the list, but I felt it wasn't quite was I was looking for. I had 6 wonderful years in a luxury hardtop convertible "sporty" car. I wanted something with more performance, more handling, more of that, I don't know...car driving experience.

I'm 43 years old, and I tend to keep cars 6+ years. If I'm going to ever own an impractical, no-compromise SPORTS car, this is very likely my last opportunity.

I'm not a Corvette guy. I'm not much a fan of American Muscle. I have an idea what maintenance/ownership costs would be of an older Italian car (Ferrari/Lamborghini) would be.

So, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted...then I took a Tesla Roadster for a test drive. Oh my holy momma!

The acceleration is just...brutal. 0-60 in under 4 seconds. The performance is simply off-the-hook. Plus, with it being a single-speed transmission, you're basically tooling around in first gear the entire time so, the power is just...there.

From a stoplight, stomp on it, and it throws you back into the seat. From 40 MPH, stomp on it, and it throws you back into the seat (with zero hesitation). From 60 MPH, stomp on it, and it throws you back into the seat.

I've had the car about 4 days now and the hardest thing about driving it around is not giggling like a 12-year-old girl every time I press the "go" pedal!

I think probably the most-impressive engineering bit of it is Tesla somehow managed to design a WORSE cupholder than the SC430. That takes skill, let me tell you.

It's a 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5. Only has about 4,000 miles on the odometer. Very clean one-owner car (I'm now 2nd owner).
I've spent 5 or 6 hours driving a friend's roadster. The most impressive thing about it is how fast it accelerates in a straight line without making any noise.

However, unless the top is off, getting in and out takes contortionist skills. Once you're in, it's like sitting on the ground. It's that low.

The biggest downfall of the roadster is it's unfortunate handling characteristics. It's weight leaves a lot to be desired. I drove a P85 and it handles better all the way around.
Old 11-01-14, 01:29 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

The only downfall to that car is I dont have one
Old 11-01-14, 03:15 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago I had the privilege to ride in one of the first Tesla vehicles in S. California. A retired engineer offered me a ride and boy did it knock me into the back of the seat. Back then the price tag was a cool $100K. Nice ride. Enjoy.
Old 11-03-14, 07:50 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by sorka
I've spent 5 or 6 hours driving a friend's roadster. The most impressive thing about it is how fast it accelerates in a straight line without making any noise.

However, unless the top is off, getting in and out takes contortionist skills. Once you're in, it's like sitting on the ground. It's that low.
I agree that getting in and out of it (with the top on) is...ungraceful.

But, I'm 6'1, and 250+lbs, not flexible at all, not athletic in the least...and I can do it without much difficulty. There's a technique to getting in and out of it (top on or top off).

Originally Posted by sorka
The biggest downfall of the roadster is it's unfortunate handling characteristics. It's weight leaves a lot to be desired. I drove a P85 and it handles better all the way around.
I don't quite get some people's complaints about the handling. Does it weigh more than the Elise it's based on? Heck yeah. But it's also got 100+ more HP than the Elise it's based on.

It weighs about the same as my MINI Cooper, and it weighs about 1,000 lbs LESS than the SC430 I'm coming from.

I think the Tesla model S P85 is a great 4-door family sedan. But, it's a 4-door family sedan.

I think the Roadster corners great for what it is. Is it the best-handling track car in the world? Nope. But it's not supposed to be.

It's also not a Miata, and NSX, or an S2000.
Old 11-04-14, 12:47 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The only downfall to that car is I dont have one
Best reply -- LOL!
Old 11-04-14, 05:09 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow- that is a beautiful car. Congratulations!
Old 11-06-14, 06:54 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps the Telsa will be my next car, hate to part with my Lexus.
Old 12-01-14, 11:37 AM
audiododd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you'll only be able to play the Steinberger if you're taking the Roadster to gigs! Of course, you won't be able to fit the amp -- sigh.

BTW, if I fly back home and connect through DC for more than an hour, you MUST pick me up at the airport and take me for a spin.