SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Should I get this fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 01:37 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Should I get this fixed?

About a month ago, some guy clipped me in the right front and scratched the bumper and the fender. Not much damage but the bumper and fender were taken off to be repainted. They also removed the right front headlight assembly to be able to remove the fender. With the mornings getting darker I have just now used the headlights and have found that the auto leveling system is no longer working. The lights are aimed at the top where they would normally be with the car loaded normally. I was never quite sure why our car has this feature. We don't have a back seat and most of us rarely put that much in the trunk. I feel sure the body shop did not reconnect the levelers. Since the headlights are aimed where I want them is there any harm in just leaving it the way it is. My first reaction is no. Am I wrong?
Old 10-21-14, 02:24 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd fix it. Their mistake. Have them fix it. Rather have it work even if you don't use it
Old 10-22-14, 04:42 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm guessing the insurance claim is already closed since the car is already repaired. It wouldn't be easy to get them to pay now. If it works to your satisfaction, why spend money.
Old 10-22-14, 06:07 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Call `anonymously` and ask if they warranty their work. My body shop has a lifetime warranty on their work with reciept. Worth a try.
Old 10-22-14, 06:26 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Id absolutely get it fixed. I noticed mine adjust downward when i go uphill to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and adjust upward when i go downhill to give better visibility. Call `anonymously` and ask if they warranty their work. My body shop has a lifetime warranty on their work with reciept. Worth a try.
Old 10-22-14, 08:10 AM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting the "auto-leveling" warning indicator light in the gauge cluster? If either (or both) of the leveling motors weren't connected, the warning light should be on.

When you first turn the car on (with the lights set to ON) do the beams do their "dance" self-test "up and down"? Or are the beams fixed during this stage?

You can also try reaching behind the headlight to see if the connector is indeed attached to the motor. You might be able to reach behind it by removing the intake filter unit, etc.
Old 10-22-14, 09:48 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I would have it fixed also....you should call the insurance company & let them handle it with the body shop. Most,if not all insurance companies have lifetime warranties on work now,if taken to one of their recommended shops
Old 10-22-14, 11:53 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I can tell you that my 06 does not have a leveling warning light in the dash. So, I don't know where that is coming from. do the 05s and before have that? Also, I called Flow Lexus in NC and they said the leveling system does not work as Shawn has described. It is for leveling the lights based on the load you are carrying. The system does not detect if you are going up or down a hill and is not active during normal driving. It senses the relationship between the body and the frame and adjusts the headlight accordingly. As best I can tell the motors are connected. So it may have been coincidence that the work on the front end was done and the failure of the leveling system. I think I will drive it a bit now that it is getting dark earlier and see how I feel about the level. If all is good I don't think I will try to fix a problem that has no consequence.
Old 10-22-14, 12:40 PM
iolmaster
Racer

OK it just shows that not all Lexus service people know everything. I called another dealer and our AFS indicator on the dash doubles as a failure indicator for the leveling system in addition to the side to side movement of the AFS. Mine is not flashing.
Old 10-23-14, 11:38 PM
ktdsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its been less than 30 days they will fix it with out any hassle
Old 10-24-14, 07:48 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Having signed off on the repair when you picked up the vehicle, how will you establish that the problem did not develop thereafter? I think that's the issue that may trip you up with the repair shop and/or insurance company.
Old 10-24-14, 10:27 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Having signed off on the repair when you picked up the vehicle, how will you establish that the problem did not develop thereafter? I think that's the issue that may trip you up with the repair shop and/or insurance company.
No question about that. The same thought has gone through my mind. After talking with two Lexus dealers, both think there is nothing wrong with the system. I'm not sure I agree. There is no flashing light in the dash. The AFS light is supposed to flash if there is a failure of the auto leveling system. Mine is off as is normal. The reason I think something is wrong is, I do not get the headlights coming up from the parked position and then leveling like I used to. However, the lights are in the correct position for normal driving and I can see fine with them on. I guess at this point I will just drive it and not worry about it.
Old 11-03-14, 08:28 AM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you first turn the car on (with the lights set to ON) do the beams do their "dance" self-test "up and down"? Or are the beams fixed during this stage?
Old 11-04-14, 06:10 AM
iolmaster
Racer

They are fixed in what appears to be in the up or normal position. However, Lexus says that the AFS light in the dash would be blinking if there was a problem. They used to do the dance as you describe.
Old 11-04-14, 07:16 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
They are fixed in what appears to be in the up or normal position. However, Lexus says that the AFS light in the dash would be blinking if there was a problem. They used to do the dance as you describe.
I would definitely go back to the body shop. It's likely that they simply forgot to connect a sensor.

Last night I tried mine. When I stomp on the gas pedal the rear end goes down slightly and the headlamps readjust down slightly.

When I make a left turn in the left headlamp obviously redirects left and when turn is completed they go back to center. The right turns are not as obvious but it the rt lamp also moves, just not as much.

Quick Reply: Should I get this fixed?