SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing Belt Changed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 05:44 PM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Changed...

Have a recently purchased 2003 in blue with 43K on the clock. Not much in the way of maintenance history, just spotty MyLexus and CarFax info. From the records I saw that the drive belt was changed last year but service dept at that dealer had no record of timing belt and there was no sticker under the hood showing it was done. Assuming it was original, it was way past due based on age so had it changed along with water pump, thermostat, tensioner, etc. Mechanic stated it was textbook and everything came apart as if it was new and the belt looked new with no discernable wear. Water pump had first indication of a leak and I guess the peace of mind made it all worth while. Also had the MAF/throttle body cleaned, transmission serviced, brake and power steering flushed. Along with the extended warranty purchased by the previous owner, I figure I have many years of happy driving in front of me.

Car runs amazing but next up is handling. On a smooth road it is solid with no shimmy at any speed. Hit a sharp bump and the steering wheel shudders which I can somewhat mute by adjusting the telescoping wheel. Plan on using the Daizen poly sway bar, steering rack and control arm bushing kits along with new shocks. I guess next step would be Cusco strut brace if it continues???? Does this plan make sense?

Pictures below of timing belt and water pump.
Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Changed...-belt-1.jpg   Timing Belt Changed...-belt-2.jpg   Timing Belt Changed...-water-pump.jpg  
Old 10-19-14, 05:54 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome
were are you getting the Daizen bushings and bar?
Old 10-20-14, 05:37 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Bacardi - Was looking at TM Engineering for the bushings. I want to see how much improvement I get with bushings and replacing the leaking front shocks and I'm not planning on replacing the sway bars at this time. For how I'll drive it, the car handles well and I'll be happy if I can get rid of the steering wheel shudder/free play on sharp bumps.
Old 10-20-14, 10:21 AM
lexus7217
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your new acquisition! Sounds like you have many years ahead of worry free driving. I too am suffering from the exact steering wheel wobble. I know the bushings resolve this issue and have already purchased them from TM engineering. Let me know where you end up having your bushings replaced. I usually take my SC to Lexus of Rockville for service but they declined to change the bushings. Still searching for a good shop.
Old 10-20-14, 11:38 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the strut tower brace bar will solve most if not all of your wobbling problem. It did on mine and I have no other suspension upgrade at all on my 2002 with 126k miles.
Old 10-20-14, 06:12 PM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

lexus7217 - Are you replacing all the bushings or just the steering rack ones? My front struts are leaking so that is a must change. Trying to figure out if I should replace all the bushings since we'll be in there anyway and the cost of parts is reasonable. Going with KYB for the struts and the price for the fronts are reasonable as well. I'll let you know how much the ride improves if I go this route. As it sits, I'd drive it across country tomorrow but I'd enjoy it more without the wheel shuddering on rough roads!

bb430 - Thanks for the info. Do you have the Cusco brace bar? Glad to hear that helped and I might move that closer to the top of the list due to easy install. How many miles on your front struts and how many sets have you gone through in 126K?
Old 10-20-14, 07:17 PM
lexus7217
Driver School Candidate

I'm just planning to replace the steering rack bushings. I have an 06 with just about 55k on the clock. Not sure if I really need to change the bushings just yet. I'm really happy with everything else except for the steering wheel wobble. Where are you planning to get the work done? I'm also in the DC area.
Old 10-20-14, 09:26 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bb430
Actually the strut tower brace bar will solve most if not all of your wobbling problem. It did on mine and I have no other suspension upgrade at all on my 2002 with 126k miles.
I just recently had my tower bar struts powder coated red. I removed the cover to expose the coating for this shot.
Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Changed...-image.jpg  
Old 10-21-14, 02:48 AM
mujinzoo
Driver School Candidate

Billie and 7217, am experiencing the same issues with my 2006/65k...also in DC area. Service at Lindsay. Very interested in finding reliable and experienced shop to do the work the dealer won't do. Thanks and really appreciate the knowledge and wisdom (not the same thing) contributed by the Darthsids and Bacardis.
Old 10-21-14, 05:07 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bilque
just so you know TM is not in business any more. Daizen
darthsid
nice

Last edited by bacardi11; 10-21-14 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 03:31 PM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darth
I see a Cusco listing for a model # JZS161 strut bar.
Is that the correct fitment for the sc430?
Thanks
Old 10-28-14, 03:44 PM
hcstraub
Driver School Candidate

BIlque,
If you don't mind, what was the bill for the timing belt and water pump? I am looking to have those done in the spring.
Old 10-28-14, 08:26 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doodles714
Darth
I see a Cusco listing for a model # JZS161 strut bar.
Is that the correct fitment for the sc430?
Thanks
Here is the part number.
Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Changed...-image.jpg  
Old 10-28-14, 09:15 PM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks
Old 10-29-14, 06:53 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

hcstraub - Have friends/family in business so my pricing is skewed. That said, the price as Sewell's with forum discount is good and if you have a local independent mechanic you trust, that is the way I'd go. Sewell's shows timing belt and water pump kit for $361.37 + shipping. Premium Kit Includes: (recommended)
1.Timing Belt
2.Idler Pulley No.1
3.Idler Pulley No.2
4.Water Pump
5.Water Pump Gasket
6.O-Ring, Water Inlet Housing
7.O-Ring, Water Bypass Pipe
8.Hydraulic Tensioner
9.2 Cam Seals
10.1 Crank Seal
11.Thermostat & Gasket

Also recommend checking with Toyota dealership.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Changed...