SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Open/Close Roof Switch will not even blink

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 11:43 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open/Close Roof Switch will not even blink

So i haven't used my top for awhile because it's been really hot in texas. I tried it for the first time today and I can't even get the open close swithc to blink red? I did a ecu reset by unplugging the battery for 30 minutes nothing. I check the fuses in the trunk and they were all good. I did install the VIas awhile back but I don't think it could be the temp control? I'm assuming if it wasn't plugged in all the way the AC and other functions would not work
Old 10-19-14, 01:19 AM
sbaps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pvong713
So i haven't used my top for awhile because it's been really hot in texas. I tried it for the first time today and I can't even get the open close swithc to blink red? I did a ecu reset by unplugging the battery for 30 minutes nothing. I check the fuses in the trunk and they were all good. I did install the VIas awhile back but I don't think it could be the temp control? I'm assuming if it wasn't plugged in all the way the AC and other functions would not work
Is the top itself retracting at all, and your problem is solely the indicator light?
Old 10-19-14, 09:23 AM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by sbaps
Is the top itself retracting at all, and your problem is solely the indicator light?
Its seems as if no power is going directly to the button. No indicator light at all.
Old 10-19-14, 11:00 AM
petlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First sure its not the glove box switch (or trunk cover)

Had a problem with a sensor on my 2004 - $600 fix!!! at the dealer
Old 10-19-14, 11:12 AM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by petlexus
First sure its not the glove box switch (or trunk cover)

Had a problem with a sensor on my 2004 - $600 fix!!! at the dealer
Don't think it's any sensor because if there's something not in place then the red light would blink. I get no indicator lights at all. I"m thinking it's the fuse somewhere that is linked to the open/close switch. I checked the back trunk fuse box and all the fuse are good. It's worked before like with no issue. I've done some installation with the door speakers and installed some subs but that's it. My speakers work good and my sub works good.
Old 10-19-14, 12:07 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

glove box is in check for power at switch. check for power to dash blinker switch. work your way back from dash blinker switch.

Last edited by bacardi11; 10-19-14 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 12:47 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
glove box is in check for power at switch. check for power to dash blinker switch. work your way back from dash blinker switch.
Are you referencing the Valet switch? I checked it already but read on the forum even if it's locked or unlocked there should be a red indicating light. My climate control works. tested all the buttons for the AC functions to the emgerency light, The only button not working is the open/close button. I'm am lost I"m not even sure if Lexus dealershirp could help me. I'm crossing my fingers I"m unplugging my subs to see if that helps.
Old 10-19-14, 12:50 PM
pvong713
Driver

I know the valet switch functions because when I click on it an try to open the trunk by pushing the button it still stay locked. Howver, when I click the valet switch to unlock and I push the trunk button my trunk opens.
Old 10-20-14, 11:01 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Be sure to check the fuses in the cab as mentioned above. Lexus seemed to use multiple fuses in multiple locations for several functions. Don't rule it out just because other items in the area are working. (I'd go and look at mine but I don't have it with me right now.)

You're in Houston, right?
Old 10-20-14, 08:31 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
Be sure to check the fuses in the cab as mentioned above. Lexus seemed to use multiple fuses in multiple locations for several functions. Don't rule it out just because other items in the area are working. (I'd go and look at mine but I don't have it with me right now.)

You're in Houston, right?
Yah i'm from houston. I've checked it already very carefully. I'll probably recheck it but I'm thinking it could be the climate control the open/switch button was damaged when I tried to take out the system to install my stereo. It could be not sure but I would need to double check.
Old 10-22-14, 06:25 AM
paige
Rookie

Default same issue here

2002 sc430 108k

I feel your frustration. My switch is doing the exact same thing. pulled all fuses, all are good. Is there a fuse behind the climate control panel? I ordered a roof ecu from ebay. it was 75 dollars. Should be here on Monday. Will try that and keep fingers crossed. If not then to dealer for diagnosis..

Any progress on yours?

good luck
Old 10-22-14, 08:20 AM
paige
Rookie

Default update on this mystery

I triple checked all fuses.. they are good. i then put the valet switch in the locked position. held the open button down. after 3 to 4 secs it began to blink blinked a number of times. then stopped.

I'm thinking maybe the ecu for the top does not know where it is in the cycle. taking battery off for 30 minutes then try it again. during that time I will get access to the ecu in the trunk.

Is their a way to have the system relearn where the top is?
Any help would be appreciated.

thank you
Old 10-24-14, 08:21 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by paige
I triple checked all fuses.. they are good. i then put the valet switch in the locked position. held the open button down. after 3 to 4 secs it began to blink blinked a number of times. then stopped.

I'm thinking maybe the ecu for the top does not know where it is in the cycle. taking battery off for 30 minutes then try it again. during that time I will get access to the ecu in the trunk.

Is their a way to have the system relearn where the top is?
Any help would be appreciated.

thank you
No luck with a new CC i don't know what else to do. I need to check my fuse again or bring my car to the dealer. Please let me know if you figured anything out at least yours blink. Mine doesn't blink at all even after holding it down
Old 10-25-14, 07:12 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you checked to see if you have any voltage at the roof switch . The red light could be burned out or switch could be shorted or open bad harness somewhere. You may have to bite bullet and take to dealer for diagnosis.
Old 10-25-14, 07:44 AM
paige
Rookie

well it only did that weird blink thing once. waiting for the ecu. I can't reproduce it. the valet switch is fine. will keep you posted. I'd like to test the switch but can't get the climate control. out! yes I've read the posts on how to pull it. but she is stuck!!

Quick Reply: Open/Close Roof Switch will not even blink