SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Open/Close Roof Switch will not even blink

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-14, 07:49 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I know what you mean. In order to pull it you have to grip it with both hands and pull it straight out with a slight wiggle. Its hard to describe how much force you need but if you keep pulling on it and try to wiggle it will pop out
Old 10-25-14, 09:56 AM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paige
well it only did that weird blink thing once. waiting for the ecu. I can't reproduce it. the valet switch is fine. will keep you posted. I'd like to test the switch but can't get the climate control. out! yes I've read the posts on how to pull it. but she is stuck!!
It's easy to pull out! Just use a screw driver make sure it's thin and tape the top part so you won't damage the leather or not unless you got the plastic tool to take it apart. Here's a great video that I use you can't break the climate control clip if you just pull it out hard. YOU CAN SKIP ALL THAT STEP AND GO STR8 TO CLIMATE CONTROL PART SINCE YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE RADIO OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWAOLSJnOVc
Old 10-25-14, 10:47 AM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
Have you checked to see if you have any voltage at the roof switch . The red light could be burned out or switch could be shorted or open bad harness somewhere. You may have to bite bullet and take to dealer for diagnosis.
I'm thinking I have a open bad harness somewhere. Could it be a loose wire. I hope Lexus could diagnose the problem. This all happened after i installed my system. =(
Old 10-25-14, 10:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvong713
I'm thinking I have a open bad harness somewhere. Could it be a loose wire. I hope Lexus could diagnose the problem. This all happened after i installed my system. =(
It seems that the simplest explanation is usually the right explanation. I would go over all of the install points that were effected when vias was installed. I am sure its something simple that you overlooked . Could be a pinched harness or bad connector pin that got bent when it was re-plugged in. You need to pull the climate control and look at the connectors and all of the pins to be sure there all seated . Good luck
Old 10-25-14, 02:41 PM
paige
Rookie

Well ECU came.. installed it.. reconnected battery.. and checked that weirdness first time before any electrical confusion.. valet switch set to LOCK OUT, no top down.. started car, pressed open. after @ secs I got a blinking light..

I think I may have multiple sensors out of sync.. so the ecu just shuts down..

i'd like to do the following:

resett the 1/4 windows..

manually move the roof to the top down position.. it is closed now.. package tray perpendicular to the ground.. Locked..

I need help with this: Fully closed position to fully open position, mechanically.. then back to closed locked.

i am thinking that i have multiple sensors "dis connected"

manual reset, the electrical function..

else dealer

ugggh!
Old 10-25-14, 03:34 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Think about this. The sensors are used to tell the top when it moves what it has to do in order to accomplish its task.
If the top is up package tray in down position 1/4 windows up then the top knows this because the sensors are in communication with the ecu. Sensors have one function. I dont think your problem is with a sensor I think its a simple disconnect of some connector that is preventing the switch to activate
Old 10-27-14, 01:02 AM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
Think about this. The sensors are used to tell the top when it moves what it has to do in order to accomplish its task.
If the top is up package tray in down position 1/4 windows up then the top knows this because the sensors are in communication with the ecu. Sensors have one function. I dont think your problem is with a sensor I think its a simple disconnect of some connector that is preventing the switch to activate
Does installing the Viper 5901 or Lux Link override the Open/Close switch? I been wanting to install it but not sure which is better the Viper 5901 or the Lux Link.
Old 10-27-14, 11:50 AM
paige
Rookie

Ok.. Check this out.. I decided to manually open the roof.. removed the round cover plate inside the cabin, inserted the allen wrench and manually unlocked the roof latch.. took two people to move the roof out of the matting holes and retracted it to half way. I was unable to lift the package tray to its upright position and did not want to break it. so we closed the roof back up and checked the switches mounted in the matting holes. they were clean and made a nice audible click when seated.

today it was hot out and i noticed that one side was not fully inserted. so with the car running ac on I inserted allen wrench and went to unlock it.. The light came on and the beep started. slightly turned it it went away. so the switch on the climate control is functional, my valet switch operates so its gotta be further back..

pvong713 you may want to try the slight turn with the allen wrench and see if you get the same..

one thing i noticed was the package tray seemed slightly elevated, had wiggle.. i'm wondering if it is not in its fully down position?

its so nice here in marietta!!! bummer
Old 10-27-14, 12:27 PM
pvong713
Driver

Ok.. Check this out.. I decided to manually open the roof.. removed the round cover plate inside the cabin, inserted the allen wrench and manually unlocked the roof latch.. took two people to move the roof out of the matting holes and retracted it to half way. I was unable to lift the package tray to its upright position and did not want to break it. so we closed the roof back up and checked the switches mounted in the matting holes. they were clean and made a nice audible click when seated.

today it was hot out and i noticed that one side was not fully inserted. so with the car running ac on I inserted allen wrench and went to unlock it.. The light came on and the beep started. slightly turned it it went away. so the switch on the climate control is functional, my valet switch operates so its gotta be further back..

pvong713 you may want to try the slight turn with the allen wrench and see if you get the same..

one thing i noticed was the package tray seemed slightly elevated, had wiggle.. i'm wondering if it is not in its fully down position?

its so nice here in marietta!!! bummer
I think my problem is totally different from yours. I absolutely get no power to the switch is my problem. At least you still get the red blinking light.
Old 10-27-14, 01:14 PM
paige
Rookie

I'm curious how you verified no power to switch. This is the switch on the climate control.
Old 10-27-14, 02:16 PM
pvong713
Driver

I'm curious how you verified no power to switch. This is the switch on the climate control.
Yup, my close/open switch doesn't even Blink at all.
Old 10-27-14, 02:27 PM
paige
Rookie

Ok. My switch did the exact same thing. no light, no sound.. i thought it was dead until today with the engine running i opened the latch mechanism less than 1/4 turn with the allen wrench and the light came to life with sound.

got me thinking. was curious if yours does the same?
Old 10-27-14, 03:07 PM
pvong713
Driver

Ok. My switch did the exact same thing. no light, no sound.. i thought it was dead until today with the engine running i opened the latch mechanism less than 1/4 turn with the allen wrench and the light came to life with sound.

got me thinking. was curious if yours does the same?
how did you open the latch mechanism? Also, are you planning to take your car to the dealership to get it diagnose
Old 10-28-14, 04:40 AM
paige
Rookie

Inside the cabin near the overhead lights you will see a round plug. it pops out with a small flat head. there inside is the mechanism. insert allen wrench and turn slowly. do this with your car running. you wont hurt anything. just make sure you turn it back the same amount.

I'm going to trouble shoot it some more before giving up and taking it to the dealer. My next step is to remove the headliner, back seat and back panels to gain access to the package tray area. I dont think my package tray is fully closed. see post above. I will keep you posted on my progress. This stinks. Its perfect top down weather in marietta!
Old 11-06-14, 08:47 AM
paige
Rookie

Pvong713,

Well I have made progress. As I suspected my package tray was not fully closed. As a result the ECU received mixed signals and just closed out the opening closing command. No response from main switch on climate control, No light.

I manually opened the roof, and cycled manually opening and closing of package tray several times. It seated flat, closed the roof, and removed the battery to clear any codes.

Went to open the roof and everything worked as usual. was able to cycle it twice before the package tray refused to open.

So i am going to order both package tray limit switches and the electric motor. Solution!

I advise you to manually cycle the top open and close before taking it to the dealer. my guess is you as well have mixed signals to the ECU and your simply being locked out. Hope this helps and best of luck..

Quick Reply: Open/Close Roof Switch will not even blink