SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Best Motor Oil for an SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 08:17 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The trans drain and fill at every oil change is way overkill. You got the oil change thing right.

Last edited by jzwu; 10-08-14 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 08:24 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jzwu
The trans drain and fill at every oil change is way overkill. You got the ol change thing right.
That's your opinion, but I've 10 times as many transmission failures as engine failures. Folks way over change their engine oil and way under change their transmission fluid.

At 2 qts a change and given there are 14 qts in the system, 7 transmission fluid changes won't get all of it because each time you change it, you're mixing two qts partially with the previous two qts that were already added. In practice it takes between 10 and 12 changes before you've cycled through all of the previous fluid.

10 changes every 6K miles is 60K miles.

It takes me an extra 5 minutes when overlapped with the engine oil change, so it's a no brainer for me. Plus I'm hard on my transmissions.

I did the same thing on my SC400 until I sold it with 334K miles with no engine or transmission failures of any kind.
Old 10-06-14, 11:15 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
That's your opinion, but I've 10 times as many transmission failures as engine failures. Folks way over change their engine oil and way under change their transmission fluid.

At 2 qts a change and given there are 14 qts in the system, 7 transmission fluid changes won't get all of it because each time you change it, you're mixing two qts partially with the previous two qts that were already added. In practice it takes between 10 and 12 changes before you've cycled through all of the previous fluid.

10 changes every 6K miles is 60K miles.

It takes me an extra 5 minutes when overlapped with the engine oil change, so it's a no brainer for me. Plus I'm hard on my transmissions.

I did the same thing on my SC400 until I sold it with 334K miles with no engine or transmission failures of any kind.
I'm confused. Are you just changing 2 quarts on your drain and fill or are you changing 14 quarts.
I would assume the 14 quarts is the total including the converter and you are just draining the pan of 2 quarts.

I think with this method you would never get a complete new replacement of the total 14 quarts because there is always a mixture of old and new and no way to say how much of each you are replacing each time.

Last edited by tennman117; 10-06-14 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 05:42 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tennman117
I'm confused. Are you just changing 2 quarts on your drain and fill or are you changing 14 quarts.
I would assume the 14 quarts is the total including the converter and you are just draining the pan of 2 quarts.

I think with this method you would never get a complete new replacement of the total 14 quarts because there is always a mixture of old and new and no way to say how much of each you are replacing each time.
That is true. Zeno's paradox will keep you from ever getting all of the old fluid.

2 qts, actually more like 1.8 qts per change. I do it every engine oil change. If I did a full flush instead, I'd do that about every 50K miles.

However, with auto trans fluid, it's not about how much old fluid is left but how much new fluid there is with the additives. In my opinion, a frequent drain and fill even though it's 1.8 qts is better than a full flush done every 50K miles. The fluid stays at a consistent almost but not quite new state and never gets worse.
Old 10-06-14, 06:58 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is true. Zeno's paradox will keep you from ever getting all of the old fluid.

2 qts, actually more like 1.8 qts per change. I do it every engine oil change. If I did a full flush instead, I'd do that about every 50K miles.

However, with auto trans fluid, it's not about how much old fluid is left but how much new fluid there is with the additives. In my opinion, a frequent drain and fill even though it's 1.8 qts is better than a full flush done every 50K miles. The fluid stays at a consistent almost but not quite new state and never gets worse.
Your practice is right on the mark. Cummins Diesel does the same thing with their Centinel oil management system for truck tractors which carries a fresh tank of oil on board. Periodically oil is withdrawn from the sump, mixed with diesel fuel and burned in the engine. Then a like quantity of new oil is added to the sump, maintaining additive levels. Filter changes are every 75K miles and oil drain intervals are 525,000 miles!
Old 10-07-14, 05:33 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jzwu,
So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You remove the trans pan and drain out as much of the trans oil as possible each time you change the engin oil? How often do you change the trans filter?
Old 10-07-14, 05:38 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Jzwu,
So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You remove the trans pan and drain out as much of the trans oil as possible each time you change the engin oil? How often do you change the trans filter?
The 06+ transmission doesn't call for a transmission filter change. I follow the procedure in the attached document. The fluid is drained through the drain plug.

That said, I did pull the pan once on my SC400 at about 200K to check the filter screen which was completely clean so I never bothered again with it. I sold the car at 334K miles without ever having a trans or engine issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Transmission steps-2.pdf (199.4 KB, 227 views)
Old 10-07-14, 05:45 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks sorta,
My SC430 is an 07 so I should be OK by just draining and not change filter. Good information.
Old 10-08-14, 09:12 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the SC430 uses a screen type filter for the trans so no need to change it. You just drain and refill the fluid.

Under normal driving for most of us, the trans fluid change interval is 100k.
Old 10-09-14, 10:43 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I read somewhere in the forum that we do NOT need to change the transmission oil because it sealed.
I am totally confused . Who's right?
Old 10-09-14, 11:17 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have an 06 up your right.
Old 10-11-14, 09:18 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bacardi11
if you have an 06 up your right.
You really believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

All newer transmissions no longer have a dip stick and you still need to change the fluid if you want your trans to last hundreds of thousands of miles. I usually put on at least 200K on my cars and some have had over 300K including my last SC400 which I sold with 334K.

The Prius also has a sealed trans (different type though) and it's PSD it notorious for failing if you go more than 100K without changing the fluid.

I think you're fine in the SC430 if you never change it if you only expect the car to last through the warranty period which the manufacturer will claim is the useful life span of the car.

If the 06+ didn't need the fluid changed, that document I posted earlier on the 06+ change procedure wouldn't exist.
Old 10-11-14, 01:54 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

You really believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

All newer transmissions no longer have a dip stick and you still need to change the fluid if you want your trans to last hundreds of thousands of miles. I usually put on at least 200K on my cars and some have had over 300K including my last SC400 which I sold with 334K.

The Prius also has a sealed trans (different type though) and it's PSD it notorious for failing if you go more than 100K without changing the fluid.

I think you're fine in the SC430 if you never change it if you only expect the car to last through the warranty period which the manufacturer will claim is the useful life span of the car.

If the 06+ didn't need the fluid changed, that document I posted earlier on the 06+ change procedure wouldn't exist.
I am not saying you are wrong, but the pdf you reference doesn't reference the specific transmission and does not say it is generated by Lexus or Toyota. If you look at the owners manual, it says nothing about a specified transmission fluid change interval on the 06 up transmissions. Just saying!
Old 10-11-14, 02:20 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I am not saying you are wrong, but the pdf you reference doesn't reference the specific transmission and does not say it is generated by Lexus or Toyota. If you look at the owners manual, it says nothing about a specified transmission fluid change interval on the 06 up transmissions. Just saying!
It's a technical document straight from Lexus that covers the transmission used in the SC430, LS430 and GS430.
Old 10-11-14, 05:43 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

It's a technical document straight from Lexus that covers the transmission used in the SC430, LS430 and GS430.

OK ,but once again. I went through the owners manual maintenance supplement and could find nothing about the need to ever change the transmission fluid. Just because there is a method to drain and fill published does not mean that there is a need. If you know of a Lexus document that says change the fluid on an 06 up please reference it.