SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Higher Mileage - What is needed for a refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 05:13 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

brut
before you do some of these things make sure you check for any upgrade that can be done like the Trans PRESSURE Mod. when doing the trans. filter easy mod. and dose not cost you any thing. when checking their are things you don't have to do if are not bad.

Last edited by bacardi11; 01-05-15 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:56 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Just making a combined list:

- Lower control arms
- Steering bushings
- Alignment
- New wheels / no runflats
- Shocks/springs
- front and rear sway bar upgrade with bushings.
- engine mounts and transmission mount
- sway bar endlinks
- Transmission flush
- Brake fluid flush
- power steering flush
- differential fluid flush
- radiator flush
- ball joints
- inner & outter tie rods
-transmission filter
-spark plugs
- spark plug grommets
-MAF sensor cleaning
-thermostat replacement
-radiator cap replacement
-throttle body cleaning
-fuel injector cleaning/upper engine via gas tank and vacuum line

Also at 100k if not done you'd probably want to look at:
- timing belt
- waterpump
- tensioners
- pulleys
- valve cover gaskets
- front main seal

lets keep updating this list if anyone can think of anything else.. maintenance related..
Wow, this could be expensive....
Old 01-05-15, 09:51 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
Lots of this work is very doable DIY, and free, and this forum has lots of excellent instructions.
Old 01-05-15, 09:54 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I'd add a power steering fluid flush to the list too.
Old 01-05-15, 08:11 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

oh it is!! if you are not a DIYer then it is going to be very expensive at the dealer... although if you have a mechanic do it then you can group stuff together since things are coming out anyway.. waterpump.. timing belt.. cam seal..crank seal.. thermostat..radiator flush.. valve cover gaskets..spark plug grommets.. spark plugs.. air filter.. serpentine belt. These can be all addressed at the same time since they are all mostly getting removed when doing a timing belt.
So one session for engine related and one session for suspension related.. this is where shops make their money charging you twice, like for example a timing belt job and a water pump job involves almost the same amount of work once.. but they rather bill you twice.. each separately.
I'm in the process of accumulating all my parts to get all my engine and suspension maintenance done, it does get expensive but if you plan the work out it'll save money in the long run.
Old 01-08-15, 07:10 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be an interesting poll to see how many people with 100K on their cars have done all of this stuff over its life and how much of this is preventative maintenance because something "might" be wrong and since it's not their money it's something that should be done...
Old 01-08-15, 07:54 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

I just got mine not too long ago, I factored all the maintenance into the price of the car. I tend to do this whenever I get a car, a full refresh keeps the car alive and brings back that factory drive. Also it is piece of mind for me.

This is a write up of my GS430 when I got it.. want to do the same for the SC

http://www.flawlessfitment.com/2012/...beginning.html
http://www.flawlessfitment.com/2012/...ing-contd.html

- Lower control arms - don't need it yet
- Steering bushings - ordered
- Alignment - after suspension install
- New wheels / no runflats - don't have run flats
- Shocks/springs - ordered
- front and rear sway bar upgrade with bushings. - rears ordered, fronts just the sway bar links
- engine mounts and transmission mount - ordered
- sway bar endlinks - ordered
- Transmission flush - ordered oil
- Brake fluid flush - ordered oil
- power steering flush - done
- differential fluid flush - ordered oil
- radiator flush - ordered fluids
- ball joints - ordered
- inner & outter tie rods - ordered
-transmission filter - ordered
-spark plugs - ordered
- spark plug grommets - ordered
-MAF sensor cleaning - will do with maintenance
-thermostat replacement - ordered
-radiator cap replacement - didn't order
-throttle body cleaning - will do with maintenance
-injector cleaning/upper engine via gas tank and vacuum line - cleaned via gas tank need to do vacuum line
-stainless steel brake line - don't need it but want it along with LS400 brake upgrade

Also at 100k if not done you'd probably want to look at:
- timing belt - ordered
- waterpump - ordered
- tensioners - ordered
- pulleys - ordered
- valve cover gaskets - ordered
- front main seal - ordered
Old 01-09-15, 06:03 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
So not to come off rude but one of the main reasons of owning a Lexus is not having to amass a large bunch of replacement parts to put on just for piece of mind sake because they are in fact the most reliable car brand out there.

That said you forgot about the speakers lol.
His car has 176K miles, and those are just standard maintenance items. Even a lexus has to have spark plugs, fluids, and other stuff changed..
Old 01-09-15, 06:13 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the speakers! They are next on the list.

Poly steering rack bushings were hands down the best bang for the buck on my car (just ahead of removing the run flats....)

That said, it seems that quite a bit of this list applies to 10+ year old cars regardless of the miles.
Old 01-09-15, 07:37 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

So not to come off rude but one of the main reasons of owning a Lexus is not having to amass a large bunch of replacement parts to put on just for piece of mind sake because they are in fact the most reliable car brand out there.

That said you forgot about the speakers lol.
no offense taken, definitely a reliable car otherwise I wouldn't have even ever considered getting one with high miles. Had 176k when I got it, so for a 13 year old car it is in excellent condition. Everything mentioned in my maintenance plan is all wear and tear item that 1) keeps the car reliable and efficient or 2) rejuvenates the suspension components to bring back the factory feel to the ride. 3) the fluids again are very important and judging by the previous owner I think he just did the bare minimum.. so all the flushes etc are important to help prolong the life of components... I do a lot of driving so piece of mind is definitely a plus.

Man the speakers!!! ahh.. I want to fix that, it's definitely blown but i want to upgrade my system at some point. Might just do the cheap fix for now, I don't even want to look at my credit card statement this month!

Originally Posted by LexBrett
His car has 176K miles, and those are just standard maintenance items. Even a lexus has to have spark plugs, fluids, and other stuff changed..
^what Lex said..

Originally Posted by Bilque
+1 on the speakers! They are next on the list.

Poly steering rack bushings were hands down the best bang for the buck on my car (just ahead of removing the run flats....)

That said, it seems that quite a bit of this list applies to 10+ year old cars regardless of the miles.
the steering rack made a huge difference on my 2nd gen GS. I had a very annoying vibration on my GS between 65-70mph and I replaced parts one by one to see what was causing it. Everything I did made a difference till the vibration was gone completely. The SC's suspension composition is similair to that of the GS so I want to just do all the suspension stuff I did that got rid of the vibration at once, that includes motor mounts and transmission bushings. The steering rack bushing made a huge difference.
Old 01-09-15, 09:47 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

If you want the same level of bass coming from the doors as the sub gives off in the back, I highly recommend the rockford fosgate speakers. They cost like $110 and you will need another 15 for the adapters, as well as some time to carefully sand/grind the inside to make them fit. ( I also used a liberal amount of liquid nails to really seal them to the door so hopefully they won't need to be removed any time soon!)

Interesting, are the speakers 8ohm? I'd like to do it NOW!! but have to budget myself.. audio is definitely on my list though.