SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Improving performance- where to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 11:22 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Improving performance- where to start

My SC is completely stock. I've seen numerous posts about performance improvements. I'd like to keep my car pretty much stock but do want to do a few things that would improve the performance. I noted the Sprint Booster to improve the accelerator response. It's pretty inexpensive.

So, question for those of you who have done some performance enhancements: What would be the best bang for the buck for starters?
Old 09-22-14, 11:56 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you search my posts, I'm positive I wrote a "bang for the buck" analysis of all of my mods. I think you just need to click "LexBrett" for my posts.

In short, here are the mods with the highest bang for the buck in my opinion:

1-Spring Booster. At about $300, this little device is magic in reducing drive by wire lag. Plus it is relatively easy to install.

2- Michelin Pilot Super Sport. If you have not already done so, taking off those run flats will completely change your car. I personally love my Michelins, although pricey at $1000.

3. Swift Racing Technology Cold Air Intake, Chip, and heat Shield. Go to swiftracing.com and find a Cold Air kit for about $600. If the item is not listed, they do indeed make it but you may have to call. Don't expect SRT to be responsive though. They rarely answer the phone and are slow to ship. However, the Kit is amazing. I couldn't beleive the improvement in performance. These run about $600. Most people could probably do the install.

4. Magnaflow Exhaust. It's a little expensive by improves power a bit and is really fun. You can find these on Amazon for about $800.

5. I-Pod Adapter. There is a easy and cheap adapter to wire your ipod through your stereo. It was a little hard to install in my opinion, but doable. Very inexpensive at around $50. If you are interested I can look it up, just let me know.

I'm sure there are other things that can be done to the car such as suspension, supercharging, headers, but those start to get really expensive. The next thing I am doing will be coilovers, but that's another story...
Old 09-22-14, 12:36 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
If you search my posts, I'm positive I wrote a "bang for the buck" analysis of all of my mods. I think you just need to click "LexBrett" for my posts.

In short, here are the mods with the highest bang for the buck in my opinion:

1-Spring Booster. At about $300, this little device is magic in reducing drive by wire lag. Plus it is relatively easy to install.

2- Michelin Pilot Super Sport. If you have not already done so, taking off those run flats will completely change your car. I personally love my Michelins, although pricey at $1000.

3. Swift Racing Technology Cold Air Intake, Chip, and heat Shield. Go to swiftracing.com and find a Cold Air kit for about $600. If the item is not listed, they do indeed make it but you may have to call. Don't expect SRT to be responsive though. They rarely answer the phone and are slow to ship. However, the Kit is amazing. I couldn't beleive the improvement in performance. These run about $600. Most people could probably do the install.

4. Magnaflow Exhaust. It's a little expensive by improves power a bit and is really fun. You can find these on Amazon for about $800.

5. I-Pod Adapter. There is a easy and cheap adapter to wire your ipod through your stereo. It was a little hard to install in my opinion, but doable. Very inexpensive at around $50. If you are interested I can look it up, just let me know.

I'm sure there are other things that can be done to the car such as suspension, supercharging, headers, but those start to get really expensive. The next thing I am doing will be coilovers, but that's another story...
Are all spring booster the same? I see some are oReiley for 10 bucks. Can you show me which one is for our car that is 300? Sorry I'm newbie never heard of spring booster before but interested !
Old 09-22-14, 12:39 PM
pvong713
Driver

[QUOTE=pvong713;8722457]Ok I found something called Sprint booster is that what you're referring to?
Old 09-22-14, 12:58 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes sprint booster that the one. 299.99

Last edited by bacardi11; 09-22-14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 12:58 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suspension, highly recommend coilovers but at least lowering springs. SRT intake is a good suggestion, if you can get a hold one from SRT.

I would also do PPE Engineering headers. Look them up or PM them, they are a forum vendor.

http://ppeengineering.com/products/lexus/gsscandls.php
Old 09-22-14, 07:18 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Start with Improving Driver Performance

The least expensive and most effective performance improvement you can make is to increase your skill as a driver. No doubt you can make modifications that will make the throttle more sensitive, the intake and exhaust louder, the handling more responsive, etc. These modifications may very well increase the driver's enjoyment of the vehicle independent of any measurable performance increase. When it comes right down to making your SC go faster from 0-60, or lowering your lap times at the local autocross, the driver's ability and skill level will have far more influence than any amount of money thrown at the car through real or perceived performance modifications.

Here's a brief discussion that illustrates my point. → SC 430 > 0-60 mph

StillLine
Old 09-22-14, 08:13 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My opinion to increase performance in order. 1. Trans Pressure Mod, 2. Cold Air Intake (I chose Weapon R Secret Weapon with Ram Air Kit), 3. SprintBooster, 4. Rear Sway Bar Upgrade, 5. Front Sway Bar Upgrade, 6. Cusco Tower Strut Bar. 7. Exhaust work (i deleted the resonators and 3rd cat-- purely for sound). 8. Tire/Wheel Upgrade. As for other mods, I have many- some strictly for function and comfort (iPod, Bluetooth, new speakers, radar detector, 5% tint, mirror puddle lights, door handle turn signals, etc) and some for looks (painted calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, 20" wheels, etc)... but these I felt those listed above were my best PERFORMANCE mod upgrades.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-22-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 08:33 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Shawn, what is the Trans Pressure Mod?

Where did you tap into a cold air supply for the ram kit?
Old 09-22-14, 09:33 PM
430keeper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly does the ECM chip upgrade do ? Advance timing ?
Not much you can do on a naturally aspirated engine. I'd worry
about detonation...especially if you're running less than 93 octane
real gas.
Old 09-22-14, 10:59 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ECM chip is a waist of your money.
the trans mod you must drop the trans pan.
your best thing to do is the Sprint Booster 300 and you do is yourself
rip
do the Sprint Booster first that you can see and feel best bang for the buck

Last edited by bacardi11; 09-22-14 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 12:36 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Cusco Tower Strut Bar is the best mod for this car, also i changed my springs on tein s tech, and soon i'll install TT supra brakes.
Old 09-23-14, 08:08 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Trans Pressure Mod... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...0-a-650-e.html
My CAI. post 1230. I ran the ram air tube to the bottom of the front lip so it's still hidden. I also was able to keep the OEM airscoop to allow twice the fresh air...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-intake.html & https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...hreads-82.html

PS. only bad part about SprintBooster is that it kills your MPG. Transmod quickens shifting (esp the 1st/2nd/3rd gear "lag') and ultimately improves your MPGs.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-23-14 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-23-14, 09:31 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I did a few mods that added up to better handling and better performance response:

- WR Intake converted to CA
- PPE Headers
- Megan downpipe
- Magnaflow hi-pro cats
- Magnaflow catback exhaust

Handling....

- Carbing STB
- TRD Sway bars
- Ltuned rear stabilizer bars
- Daizen bushings
- D2 Coilovers

Handles and sounds great......HP gains are subjective since I have no dyno numbers.
Old 09-23-14, 11:21 AM
Carlos Ramirez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Best Bang is a thicker head gasket and twin turbos :-) Everything else other than cams, and ecu reprogramming will give somewhat minimal results. Maybe a direct port nitrous injection would be good too.

Quick Reply: Improving performance- where to start