Need creative help opening trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 11:37 AM
hedjhawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need creative help opening trunk

Here is the "relevant" background...

I have an 04 SC430 (project) with a broken/seized trunk latch. The button will not open the trunk. The backup/emergency handle (under the center console/arm rest is inoperable. I disassembled the entire interior in order to get better access to the cable. I used penetrating ol, etc. to luble it and worked carefully. Nonetheless, the cable broke (at the far end (latch)..

Now I have no way to get the trunk open.

I am doing a complete disassembly in prep for a paint-color-change. I have the drivers seat, rear seat bottom and carpets removed. I cannot remove the rear seat back - I understand that in order to remove the seat back, I need trunk access.

I need some guidance... I am not afraid to disassemble, but... what? The latch seems to be the problem. Short of taking the plasma cutter to the car, how can I attempt to remove the latch or.. whatever.

My body guy advises to break a tail light and see if I can access the rape handle. Given that the latch seems broken, I am skeptical that this will work either.

Insights? Help...
Old 09-21-14, 01:37 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hedjhawg
Here is the "relevant" background...

I have an 04 SC430 (project) with a broken/seized trunk latch. The button will not open the trunk. The backup/emergency handle (under the center console/arm rest is inoperable. I disassembled the entire interior in order to get better access to the cable. I used penetrating ol, etc. to luble it and worked carefully. Nonetheless, the cable broke (at the far end (latch)..

Now I have no way to get the trunk open.

I am doing a complete disassembly in prep for a paint-color-change. I have the drivers seat, rear seat bottom and carpets removed. I cannot remove the rear seat back - I understand that in order to remove the seat back, I need trunk access.

I need some guidance... I am not afraid to disassemble, but... what? The latch seems to be the problem. Short of taking the plasma cutter to the car, how can I attempt to remove the latch or.. whatever.

My body guy advises to break a tail light and see if I can access the rape handle. Given that the latch seems broken, I am skeptical that this will work either.

Insights? Help...

I am assuming you cant operate the top down button?
Old 09-21-14, 04:19 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...good point Blister...if I remember correctly, you don't need to go through the trunk, to remove the rear seat. Also you won't be able to gain access by going through the taillight, it's metal under there also,unless you did your cutting there
Old 09-22-14, 01:47 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I am assuming you cant operate the top down button?
Mister Blister's point is genius. If you cycle the top, the lid will open from the front so it doesn't matter that the latch is stuck. Stop in mid cycle and you'll have access to the frozen latch.
Old 09-22-14, 02:50 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Mister Blister's point is genius. If you cycle the top, the lid will open from the front so it doesn't matter that the latch is stuck. Stop in mid cycle and you'll have access to the frozen latch.
Yes, lowering the top is genius, unless the tonneau cover in the trunk is not drawn, then you can't lower the top.