Adding personality to my SC430

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 07:28 PM
nfein34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Adding personality to my SC430

Good evening everyone,

I was lucky enough to inherit a 2002 Lexus SC430 with only 45k miles on it! Anyway, the Lexus is in great condition but it has one issue...it's silver. I am not a fan of silver vehicles and I am forbidden from repainting the car, so now I want to add some personality to it. I have recently read a forum for plastidipping the emblems to make give it a matte black look which I believe will help it not look so old lady-ish. I want to add some matte black wheels to make the car look nice. Does anyone have any suggestions on wheels? I am having some trouble finding good ones. I also want to add Red brake calipers and maybe lower it an inch?
Old 09-20-14, 09:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-21-14, 05:44 AM
nfein34
Driver School Candidate

That would be nice if I were a girl...
Old 09-21-14, 06:22 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

We just assumed, since you said you bought a silver car . . .
Old 09-21-14, 09:17 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nfein34
Good evening everyone,

I was lucky enough to inherit a 2002 Lexus SC430 with only 45k miles on it! Anyway, the Lexus is in great condition but it has one issue...it's silver. I am not a fan of silver vehicles and I am forbidden from repainting the car, so now I want to add some personality to it. I have recently read a forum for plastidipping the emblems to make give it a matte black look which I believe will help it not look so old lady-ish. I want to add some matte black wheels to make the car look nice. Does anyone have any suggestions on wheels? I am having some trouble finding good ones. I also want to add Red brake calipers and maybe lower it an inch?
Congrats on your inheritance. There are many wheel selections out there. What size are you interested in, 18", 19" or 20" wheels? Keep in mind wheels come in one piece, two piece and three piece setups. With the piece progression the price also increases. Do you want to paint your existing brake calipers red, or upgrade to a "Big Brake Kit," (BBK)? If you decide to upgrade your calipers you need to consider the off-set of the wheels because the replacement calipers maybe, or are usually larger than the OEM calipers. In other words the caliper sticks out further, and there is a possibility your wheel will rub with the calipers.

To cut to the chase, upgrades for two or three piece wheels is expensive. Upgrading to a BBK can also be very costly.

BBK Upgrade Example: Brembo Brake Upgrade

Front Brakes: Four Piston Calipers (Red) with two vented and drilled rotors $4k
Rear Brakes: Four Piston Special Order (Red) with two vented and drilled rotors $4k
Old 09-21-14, 09:21 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When I want to add personality to my SC430, I simply sit in the driver's seat. ;-) Actually, I hear what you're saying. There's a million things you can do to your SC to make it yours and give it some personality. I added an axleback exhaust for a little more aggressive sound, picked up some G-Spider wheels for a sportier look over the chrome 5-spokes, and added LED DRL's up front for more visibility and a more updated look. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Last edited by StillLine; 09-21-14 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 12:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That would be nice if I were a girl...
It's a brave new world out there.

Rock the pink!
Old 09-21-14, 01:00 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Good evening everyone,

Sky's the limit......not sure what you personality is so hard to say. Where in PA are you?
Old 09-21-14, 04:26 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Good evening everyone,

...man I didn't know my car looked "old lady-ish"...
Old 09-21-14, 10:17 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tfischer
We just assumed, since you said you bought a silver car . . .
So a silver car is only for women?
Old 09-22-14, 05:22 AM
nfein34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DarthSid
Congrats on your inheritance. There are many wheel selections out there. What size are you interested in, 18", 19" or 20" wheels? Keep in mind wheels come in one piece, two piece and three piece setups. With the piece progression the price also increases. Do you want to paint your existing brake calipers red, or upgrade to a "Big Brake Kit," (BBK)? If you decide to upgrade your calipers you need to consider the off-set of the wheels because the replacement calipers maybe, or are usually larger than the OEM calipers. In other words the caliper sticks out further, and there is a possibility your wheel will rub with the calipers.

To cut to the chase, upgrades for two or three piece wheels is expensive. Upgrading to a BBK can also be very costly.

BBK Upgrade Example: Brembo Brake Upgrade

Front Brakes: Four Piston Calipers (Red) with two vented and drilled rotors $4k
Rear Brakes: Four Piston Special Order (Red) with two vented and drilled rotors $4k

I hear what you're saying about the cost of everything. I know new calipers and off-sets can get expensive, especially on a budget. I dont necessarily HAVE to upgrade the calipers, i was thinking more of just adding red cailper covers to give it a nice look. The wheels I found are Motegi matte black which have a red trim around the rim and I think witht he matte black emblems and the red caliper cover, it'll make the car look sleek but not "douchy". As I have said, the car is silver but that is what the original owner was into and you have to respect that. Brembo brakes would me nice but those are costly (currently have a set on my Altima Coupe). With the option for the piece set of the wheel, I may just keep it at a single piece. It currently has the ugly 5 star alloy with the even uglier chrome cap that snaps in the center.
Old 09-22-14, 05:25 AM
nfein34
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...man I didn't know my car looked "old lady-ish"...

I actually like the look you have it. If you saw what mine looks like now you'd say. "That car is an old woman's car"! Where did you get your lens tints? Trying to find them that wont cost me over $200
Old 09-22-14, 05:26 AM
nfein34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrMark
Sky's the limit......not sure what you personality is so hard to say. Where in PA are you?
I am located in Bucks County
Old 09-22-14, 05:40 AM
fifaref2
Driver School Candidate

Paint it. Will be to late when anyone finds out
Old 09-22-14, 05:58 AM
05SC430PB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why not have the roof wrapped

Have the roof wrapped in Red, Dark Gray, Carbon Fiber. It goes on easy and comes off with no damage.

Quick Reply: Adding personality to my SC430