I've read some horror stories about how much it can cost to fix our
retractable roofs. Just thought we could get a range here to help
people budget who are thinking about an sc430, and for those who
own older/higher mile cars.
Old 09-05-14, 02:45 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The range is so large that it might not be that helpful. Other than the obvious things like valet switch or the shade in the trunk not being in the right position (no cost), it could be something quite inexpensive like the cable(s) being off track (simple and relatively inexpensive fix) to failed motors, which could cost as much as $5,000 to fix.
Old 09-05-14, 08:05 PM
430keeper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt an independent import mechanic would be able to read the codes concerning the retractable
roof...and even if he could, what are the odds that he's worked on one of these roofs before ? So,
that leaves the dealer...and that's where trust becomes an issue. Hopefully your dealer is ethical.
I'm curious how much disassembly of the mechanism is required to fix a failed motor? Sensors
could be hard to get to as well. By the lack of postings on this I'm feeling better about the reliability
of these tops. Wonder how the older car's tops are holding up ? and down ? : )
Old 09-05-14, 08:43 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 430keeper
I doubt an independent import mechanic would be able to read the codes concerning the retractable
roof...and even if he could, what are the odds that he's worked on one of these roofs before ? So,
that leaves the dealer...and that's where trust becomes an issue. Hopefully your dealer is ethical.
I'm curious how much disassembly of the mechanism is required to fix a failed motor? Sensors
could be hard to get to as well. By the lack of postings on this I'm feeling better about the reliability
of these tops. Wonder how the older car's tops are holding up ? and down ? : )
2002 with 215k...never have had an issue !!!
The following users liked this post:
artsyguy (05-16-23)
Old 09-05-14, 10:29 PM
430keeper
Driver

Lexus reliability is not a fluke....its real....thanks for the post 2002/215k !
Old 09-12-14, 12:17 AM
ronchaby
Driver School Candidate

Let me tell you how some of the owners of earlier earlier model are doing.... NOT VERY FUNNY WELL...I mean come on whose watching the kids over at Lexus HQ. Thank you I'll sleep much better tonite after reading your post. Ok seriously now If you can come up with that kind of imformation and plop the 5K bomb I'm sure you can come up with some inside stuff on how to get around it. Lets get real here the the people on this forum aren't here because we are so bored because we have so much freaking money and bored of counting it that we sit on the computer at night for chuckles. NO because we like the car but we can't afford a new one. So cough up where is a guy who spent a nice chunk of his pention for a sc430 going to get his freaking roof fix for a lot less than 5k. Thank you
Old 09-12-14, 10:49 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronchaby
blah blah blah
English, do you speak it?
Old 09-12-14, 01:55 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Now, before this thread takes a nasty turn (oh wait, too late!), this is a question that just can't be answered. Having read a zillion posts in this forum over the years, my take on it is this: the tops are generally pretty reliable, especially for the first 10 years. After that, it is still unlikely that you will need repair, but if you do, you might get hit with a simple problem ($400 range), average problem ($1K range) or rarely people have gotten hammered for a really bad problem ($2K+ range). At some point north of that number, you sell the car to someone who doesn't want to put the top down, given that a 2002 is only worth about $9K anyway.
Old 09-12-14, 04:57 PM
430keeper
Driver

JohnnyCake got it right....that's why this thread was titled "Survey" of cost to fix the retractable
roof....not "official guide" to what it costs to fix the roof. Anyone buying one of these cars should
know what it could cost to maintain it correctly. This site is a likely place for people to learn from
other's experience about what things cost for the sc430. There is always a range...from free to
what the dealer might charge. The more information we have, the better. No need for anyone
to get upset.
Old 09-15-14, 08:55 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002 w/ 73k, I pretty much ALWAYS ride top down daily. Not a single issue on these first 3 months of owning the car!
Old 09-15-14, 10:55 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

2003 - 119,000 miles

I just had an issue with the top that required dealer service.

The motor in the roof panel that operates the latches died.

Cost ~$1,000 to fix.

The biggest issue was that it got stuck in the "roof-down" position...and there was a thunderstorm rolling in that day. So, I had to haul azz to the dealer and put the car in their hands (and inside their garage) before the rain came.

But, in fairness, the roof latch motor gave me plenty of hints that it was starting to go. I ignored them all...until it died and wouldn't unlatch (I also learned that the roof panel latches into the trunk).
Old 09-15-14, 03:50 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
2003 - 119,000 miles

I just had an issue with the top that required dealer service.

The motor in the roof panel that operates the latches died.

Cost ~$1,000 to fix.

The biggest issue was that it got stuck in the "roof-down" position...and there was a thunderstorm rolling in that day. So, I had to haul azz to the dealer and put the car in their hands (and inside their garage) before the rain came.

But, in fairness, the roof latch motor gave me plenty of hints that it was starting to go. I ignored them all...until it died and wouldn't unlatch (I also learned that the roof panel latches into the trunk).
Habious
Where do the latches seat when the top is in the trunk. Its hard to see once the panel folds down and the top is in the trunk
Old 09-16-14, 05:42 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Habious
Where do the latches seat when the top is in the trunk. Its hard to see once the panel folds down and the top is in the trunk
You can see it pretty clearly if you stand beside the trunk lid during the top-down operation. You have to look (or stop the process) right when the roof panel seats into the trunk, but before the "parcel shelf" folds down or the trunk re-closes.
Old 05-03-23, 07:56 PM
cherry000
2nd gear

any idea how much the pricing now a days?
Old 05-04-23, 06:25 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 266 Posts

Pricing is literally based on the experience of the repair facility. I had a failure of the passenger side motor a few years back. I did my own diagnostic and fixed the problem by changing it myself. "MY" cost was a replacement motor from ebay. But it took me at least a day (count that in service hour rate of $150 an hour) to diagnose the issue. Then the time to find the part and replace the part was another day. And that was not a new replacement part either which would have made the cost much higher.

So, let's say a competent mechanic takes two days to diagnose and make the repair, (there is no top repair that should truely take longer than two days) at $150 an hour for labor is approximately $2,400. Then the part. Another $100 used to $2000 new, brings you somewhere in the $2500-$4500 dollar range.

The cost for repairing a vehicle is almost always determined by the amount of labor it takes for the diagnostic and repair. Used parts are still readily available. New parts may or may not be due to the age of the vehicle.

That's about the best estimate I can give you based on my experience as someone who has done his own repairs of the top.

And with that said, access to a set of Lexus Service manuals is a necessity. I wouldn't expect even the dealer to make such a repair without them. Thats approximately $340 for a hard bound set. But that $340 is one of the best investments that I have made for the car. Any car for that matter. I own a set of service manuals for each of my vehicles.

So, to break this down, cost to repair equals maximum M/H to troubleshoot and make the repair, plus parts. M/H rates vary. Part prices vary. But you should just figure that approximately $5000 is the worst case scenario. I hope this helps.

Paul

Quick Reply: Survey of cost to fix retractable roof