SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof doesn't retract into trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 02:21 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnny, that procedure with the roof is much simpler. I printed it out and will leave it in the car.... just in case.

I tend to agree with you on intermittent problems. However, I already got something good out of the battery disconnect. The preset function on my radio would not work no matter what I tried. After the battery disconnect, it works without a hitch. I even tried resetting the same button a number of times and it works normally.

I will report back when I think I have something meaningful to pass along. I plan to keep track of the number of roof cycles I successfully complete without a problem or until a problem occurs..... hopefully the former. I did fuss over the trunk cover relay when I could get into the trunk. I still would not rule out a problem in that switch making it sensitive to vibration. I will look it over more carefully for any play or sloppiness.

Despite the few issues we have to deal with, I love my SC430. I've admired them for many years and I'm simply delighted to now be in a position to own one for my fun car. This forum adds so much to the enjoyment of my car. To whomever makes this website possible: Thank you!!!
Old 09-13-14, 04:17 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

A quick update, it's a beautiful day and we just went for a drive. Returning back home, the roof did its stall trick at the closed-but-the-light-didn't-go-off point. It was pretty stubborn. Restarting had no effect. Tried it three times. Whatever is the problem finally decide "Oh, okay, I guess I'll move again".

I guess I'll have to go see Lexus (260 miles round trip). The question is: Will the roof need to give them a stall for them to diagnose the problem?
Old 09-13-14, 05:05 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
I guess I'll have to go see Lexus (260 miles round trip). The question is: Will the roof need to give them a stall for them to diagnose the problem?
Dang, I was hoping that things would continue to work for you.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I believe that fault codes are not stored but rather cleared as soon as the problem is resolved. Seems like a pretty stupid system.

And unfortunately, I'm guessing that this is a 520 mile trip for you unless you get the first appointment of the day and have a little luck on your side so they can complete it same day. If I were in your shoes, I'd call the dealership and chat up a service adviser about the problem. Hopefully if he knows your situation he could try to hook you up with the best mechanic. Plus, if a service writer likes you, they can save you hundreds of dollars during the life of your car.
Old 09-13-14, 09:27 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Good advice. I'll call Lexus on Monday and hope to talk to someone who has actually worked on these roofs. I'll also plan to spend a couple of days over there while they work on the car (a benefit of being retired).
Old 09-14-14, 05:48 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cover not making contact in slot?

The same thing will happen when the retractable trunk cover is not pulled into position or the cover is not seated into the slot fully or the cover contacts are dirty. It could be that simple, check it out.
Old 09-24-14, 02:08 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I just returned from a lengthy trip and took the time to call Lexus of Bellevue about my roof problem. I asked the service tech how familiar he is with these roofs and he said "very". I described my problem and without hesitation he said "a proximity switch is failing".

Since several of you suggested a dirty contact, it occurred to me that's probably the same as a proximity switch and it could be dirty and not failing. Before driving 260 miles round trip to Lexus, I thought I should try to check to see if they are clean.

So, I half-opened my roof and looked around. I hoped the switches would be pretty obvious, but to me they aren't. I got the impression from the Lexus tech that there are a number of these switches. Do any of you know where they're located and how do they look?

Roger
Old 05-01-17, 11:00 AM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 SC430 roof is having the same issue

I've been reading all the posts I can in the Club Lexus website to try to find a situation similar to mine, and this seems to be the one. One time my top goes down without a hitch, then the next time I press the button, nothing happens and no lights come on the switch. Nothing has changed (cargo cover, valet switch) since the last time I went "topless", it just fails to work. I tried opening the trunk and retracting the cargo cover and placing it back in the correct position to see if it was a switch issue, and I've also checked the fuses. It's so frustrating. If I disconnect the battery, will I need a cade to get the radio to work again? Will I lose any other functionalities (like the garage door opener code)? I just bought the car in February, and the weather here in Western PA is finally getting warm enough to take it our of the garage!
Old 05-01-17, 01:24 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearsfan
I've been reading all the posts I can in the Club Lexus website to try to find a situation similar to mine, and this seems to be the one. One time my top goes down without a hitch, then the next time I press the button, nothing happens and no lights come on the switch. Nothing has changed (cargo cover, valet switch) since the last time I went "topless", it just fails to work. I tried opening the trunk and retracting the cargo cover and placing it back in the correct position to see if it was a switch issue, and I've also checked the fuses. It's so frustrating. If I disconnect the battery, will I need a cade to get the radio to work again? Will I lose any other functionalities (like the garage door opener code)? I just bought the car in February, and the weather here in Western PA is finally getting warm enough to take it our of the garage!
The SC Convertible top is awesome! It is also very complex with several motors & Switches all working in harmony.

Since it is so complex; There are a whole lot of things that can be wrong that explains your situation. You really need to know what the Lexus Codes are specific to the convertible top module.

My recommendation is to either go to the dealer and pay them to read the codes. Or do the same with an independant mechanic that can read Lexus specific codes. Or buy a copy of techstream off eBay.

If you are unfamiliar with techstream, do a search on this forum.

Once you have a specific code, then we can help you narrow down what it can be.

Here is a list of convertible top codes to help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
Bearsfan (05-01-17)
Old 05-01-17, 02:18 PM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I contacted my local Lexus dealer and scheduled an appointment to have them read the code ($115). next week. In the meantime, should I try disconnecting the battery? And when I reconnect it, will I have to enter a code to make my radio work, and will I lose any other codes already programmed into the car?
Old 05-01-17, 02:41 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

You probably don't want to do that. If the top is working when you take it in, there won't be any codes and you will have wasted your $115. It needs to be not working while it is being scanned for codes.

when I disconnect my battery I do not have to put in a code for my 2005 factory radio. I do have to reset the clock and re-program the seat limits. I probably have to do some other things, but not the radio code. Not sure about the garage door opener.
Bearsfan (05-12-17)
Old 05-01-17, 11:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

No, you do not loose garage door function. You will have to reset the clock, and the seats memory. For the top problem, you might want to check the control switch itself, since it works sometime. Also, try to push the valet switch (inside the glove box) on and off couple times.
Bearsfan (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 07:41 AM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

Wink

So I took the car to my local Lexus dealer and the code that was returned showed that there was a bad switch somewhere in the bowels of the lift system. it required the mechanic to remove the trunk lid in order to get to the part that they needed to change. It cost me $500.00, but as far as I'm concerned, it was worth it because I wouldn't have known where the problem was without them using their OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) device, let alone would I have been able to get to the part that needed to be changed. I do want to mention that I went to my local mechanic before I went to the Lexus dealer and he used his OBD device he purchased from Snap-on, and it didn't draw a code.
Old 05-12-17, 09:52 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I know of no switch in the trunk lid other then the lock mechanism . I am not sure what switch they replaced that would require the removal; of the trunk lid. I would understand if they removed the floor panels since there are motors and sensors that are there and you would need to remove them to gain access. If you look on your bill it should tell you the part number of what they
replaced that would be helpful.

To be honest a $ 500.00 repair cost for a sc430 roof repair is really really cheap .
Old 05-12-17, 02:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
To be honest a $ 500.00 repair cost for a sc430 roof repair is really really cheap .
Yeah, like hold your breath cheap. Hopefully this is really a fix and not just waiting for the intermittent problem to come back.
Old 05-14-17, 11:48 AM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

The invoice from the dealer states "B2531 - limit switch open circuit. Defective switch causing ECU to think trunk is open when it is closed. Removed RH door hinge assembly (trunk lid) and replaced open/close limit switch. Reinstalled hinge and all trim"

The part # was 84290-24100

Quick Reply: Roof doesn't retract into trunk