SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Seeking a 2002 Lexus SC430

Old 08-27-14, 09:42 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking a 2002 Lexus SC430

Hello, I am looking at a 02 SC with 82404 k miles. Is 17500 too high plus tx and lic ?
I thought it was. It is at a Lexus dealer here in Northern CA
Silver with ecru interior. new tires, clean interior.
Old 08-27-14, 10:09 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a lengthy search, I just recently made a deal on an 02 SC with 53,000 miles. I live in the NW and the car is in Maryland. I'm waiting for it to get here. As nearly as I can tell, my car is pretty pristine, except for a few rock chips in the front end paint. No dings, dents, scratches, clean Carfax (no accidents), everything works, new tires, 2 owners. She's Indigo with saddle interior (which also looks pristine). I paid $17,400 to an import brand name dealer. I think I did pretty well.

I think that Lexus dealers tend to be priced a bit higher, but there may be a higher standard expected from these cars. That's just an impression from previous Lexus vehicles I've owned. Others may have a more informed opinion.

The asking price is probably in the right pricing zone for a Lexus dealer. KBB and Edmunds are really not close in their own pricing. One appears to be too high. The other too low.

Buying long distance is not so comfortable as a buying option. I unfortunately did not have much choice. So, among other things, I told the sales person that I was definitely buying an SC and she just had to make me comfortable purchasing this car. I did this with a number of other cars and they did not get me to "comfortable". This dealer and this car did. But, I'm sitting here still with my fingers firmly crossed.

The sticky posting on buying an SC is helpful.

I hope this helps.

Roger
Old 08-28-14, 12:09 AM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In my opinion that's at the high end of the price range. If it's in pristine shape and you love the color combination that might make it worth it.

Two things would make me walk away quickly:
1. If the 90,000 maintenance has not been done (that can cost $800 to $1500)
2. If the car has ever been owned out of state. CarFax will show that.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-14, 03:46 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that the timing belt and water pump has been changed. Get documentation that says so.
Old 08-28-14, 05:24 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Originally Posted by MDames2
Make sure that the timing belt and water pump has been changed. Get documentation that says so.
Thank you MDames2
Old 08-28-14, 05:38 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Originally Posted by NorCal430
In my opinion that's at the high end of the price range. If it's in pristine shape and you love the color combination that might make it worth it.

Two things would make me walk away quickly:
1. If the 90,000 maintenance has not been done (that can cost $800 to $1500)
2. If the car has ever been owned out of state. CarFax will show that.

Good luck.
Thank you for the information NorCal430. I am in love with this car. lol It is clean . This is the only color combination I am interested in . Very Sexy ! I offered them $17,500 out the door. They declined offer. Will accept plus tax/lic.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...76850767&Log=0
Old 08-28-14, 05:39 PM
mohrd
Driver

Being a Southwest car its whole life with a 9+ year owner, sure makes it attractive. nobody usually keeps a car that long without looking after it. What is a couple thousand $ compared to love? There are only so many SC430's out there. Just me but I say, go for it!
Old 08-28-14, 05:39 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlp1949
After a lengthy search, I just recently made a deal on an 02 SC with 53,000 miles. I live in the NW and the car is in Maryland. I'm waiting for it to get here. As nearly as I can tell, my car is pretty pristine, except for a few rock chips in the front end paint. No dings, dents, scratches, clean Carfax (no accidents), everything works, new tires, 2 owners. She's Indigo with saddle interior (which also looks pristine). I paid $17,400 to an import brand name dealer. I think I did pretty well.

I think that Lexus dealers tend to be priced a bit higher, but there may be a higher standard expected from these cars. That's just an impression from previous Lexus vehicles I've owned. Others may have a more informed opinion.

The asking price is probably in the right pricing zone for a Lexus dealer. KBB and Edmunds are really not close in their own pricing. One appears to be too high. The other too low.

Buying long distance is not so comfortable as a buying option. I unfortunately did not have much choice. So, among other things, I told the sales person that I was definitely buying an SC and she just had to make me comfortable purchasing this car. I did this with a number of other cars and they did not get me to "comfortable". This dealer and this car did. But, I'm sitting here still with my fingers firmly crossed.

The sticky posting on buying an SC is helpful.

I hope this helps.

Roger
Thank you for the information Roger.
Old 08-28-14, 05:42 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Originally Posted by mohrd
Being a Southwest car its whole life with a 9+ year owner, sure makes it attractive. nobody usually keeps a car that long without looking after it. What is a couple thousand $ compared to love? There are only so many SC430's out there. Just me but I say, go for it!
I know I just need to cover the sales tax now. I am trying to wrap my mind spending almost 20k for a 2002 car. Did you see this beauty ?
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...76850767&Log=0
Old 08-28-14, 05:55 PM
mohrd
Driver

She is lovely. Unfortunately a Lexus dealer may have better knowledge of what they have and what they can ask for it whenever they have an SC430 for sale than your local Dodge dealer. They advertise its been through 161 point inspection? Ask for a copy. They are offering 30 day/3000 mile warranty? Get it in writing.

How local are you? Get off your fence, get closer to acceptable terms and get going. How do you put a price on love?
Old 08-28-14, 07:29 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aflygirl, it is a beautiful car.

I have a friend that bought a 2002 silver/black with 84,000 miles this spring from a dealer in Phoenix. I had a chance to drive this car and would consider the condition to be pretty good but not exceptional. He paid $14,000.

I paid $17,400 for a 2002 with 53,000 miles and the condition appears to be approaching exceptional, including new tires.

Can you find a better deal than the one you've asked about? Perhaps. It depends on how much dickering the dealer will do and how much effort you want to put into the hunt.
Old 08-28-14, 09:44 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlp1949
Aflygirl, it is a beautiful car.

I have a friend that bought a 2002 silver/black with 84,000 miles this spring from a dealer in Phoenix. I had a chance to drive this car and would consider the condition to be pretty good but not exceptional. He paid $14,000.

I paid $17,400 for a 2002 with 53,000 miles and the condition appears to be approaching exceptional, including new tires.

Can you find a better deal than the one you've asked about? Perhaps. It depends on how much dickering the dealer will do and how much effort you want to put into the hunt.
Wow, I just found an 03 in Orange County , same color combo. With 64k miles. private owner asking $20,500. Very clean. I want to make an offer. What is reasonable ?
Old 08-29-14, 10:01 AM
mohrd
Driver

The 20K mile difference is nothing on a 10 to 12 year old car. What's the history? CarFax? Service records? Inspection? At least at the dealer if you get a copy of everything they say has been checked and/or reconditioned, you have something to go back with in that 1st 30 days. Private seller, not so much.

You were balking at an '02 @$17500. How low do you think this seller will go for a year newer, slightly less miles when they are already asking $3000 more? You can try under the price you already weren't comfortable with. Not sure what your taxes and other fees are but, doesn't hurt to make whatever offer you feel like. However, the 2nd one should be at most a couple more grand in value.

All sorts of stories here on CL about what great deals and finds folks have had on their SC430 and how these wise buyers have saved thousands under retail. There are also a few that may have overpaid to get their hands on one due to scarcity, history or just plain didn't care what it cost to get a hold of their own in a limited market.
Old 08-29-14, 10:14 AM
aflygurl
Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mohrd
The 20K mile difference is nothing on a 10 to 12 year old car. What's the history? CarFax? Service records? Inspection? At least at the dealer if you get a copy of everything they say has been checked and/or reconditioned, you have something to go back with in that 1st 30 days. Private seller, not so much.

You were balking at an '02 @$17500. How low do you think this seller will go for a year newer, slightly less miles when they are already asking $3000 more? You can try under the price you already weren't comfortable with. Not sure what your taxes and other fees are but, doesn't hurt to make whatever offer you feel like. However, the 2nd one should be at most a couple more grand in value.

All sorts of stories here on CL about what great deals and finds folks have had on their SC430 and how these wise buyers have saved thousands under retail. There are also a few that may have overpaid to get their hands on one due to scarcity, history or just plain didn't care what it cost to get a hold of their own in a limited market.
Thank you for the input Mohrd . $17,500 from the dealer 9 miles from me plus 10% tax plic lic fees = $19,500 - New tires,repl. alternator . I have not ask if the 90k service has been done.
Old 08-29-14, 12:23 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....you could always take a look at the 03' & make them the same offer of $17,500, if you like the car. Private sellers can be different from day to day & might possibly take your offer.The extra money you would save now, could be used for any future maintenance,if needed...either way,good luck in your hunt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking a 2002 Lexus SC430