SC430 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 02:11 PM
JP250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 electrical issues

Hi everyone,

I recently got a 2002 sc430 for a really good deal. The body needs some work but the car is very good mechanically. However, I am experiencing some electrical issues. First off, the top does not come down. The button to open the top has a solid red light (not blinking). I made sure the valet button was not pressed, I set up the tonneau cover properly, and made sure nothing was in the trunk. I don't even hear anything moving. Also the trunk does not pop up when I open it. The trunk does open, but I does not pop up like how normal cars do. I'd have to wedge my fingers between the trunk and the rear bumper in order to lift up the trunk. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Second, the auto windows do not work. The windows work, just the auto feature does not work.

Third, I am getting a continuous "bing bing bing bing" warning noise every time i am driving above 5mph. At stop signs or stoplights, the warning noise goes away. But when I drive off, the beeping noise comes back. There aren't any warning lights on the dash or anything. I thought it had to do with the tires. I recently replaced the rear tires with some continental a/s tires and filled all four tires to 40 psi.

Anyone else experience these problems?

EDIT: Does anybody know how to disable the warning chime/beep?

Last edited by JP250; 08-31-14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 02:16 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

I recently purchased an 02 also.

My trunk lid is the same. Does not pop up. Don't know if this is normal or not.

I have found that sometimes my emerg. brake will give a ding sound even though it was not engaged. I just lift up on the release slightly and it stops. Might give that a try.
Old 08-27-14, 02:57 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your warning chime is associated with your top being not operational and has a solid red light on on the button.
As for your power window w/o auto up/down function, try to do a hard reset by disconnect then re-connect your car battery, then push the window button down all the way then roll back up all the way to reset it. It might work correctly afterward.
Old 08-27-14, 03:07 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JP250
Hi everyone,

I recently got a 2002 sc430 for a really good deal. The body needs some work but the car is very good mechanically. However, I am experiencing some electrical issues. First off, the top does not come down. The button to open the top has a solid red light (not blinking). I made sure the valet button was not pressed, I set up the tonneau cover properly, and made sure nothing was in the trunk. I don't even hear anything moving. Also the trunk does not pop up when I open it. The trunk does open, but I does not pop up like how normal cars do. I'd have to wedge my fingers between the trunk and the rear bumper in order to lift up the trunk. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Second, the auto windows do not work. The windows work, just the auto feature does not work.

Third, I am getting a continuous "bing bing bing bing" warning noise every time i am driving above 5mph. At stop signs or stoplights, the warning noise goes away. But when I drive off, the beeping noise comes back. There aren't any warning lights on the dash or anything. I thought it had to do with the tires. I recently replaced the rear tires with some continental a/s tires and filled all four tires to 40 psi.

Anyone else experience these problems?
The trunk is fine & it won't "pop up" like some other cars, but will release so you can lift it. The reason that you won't get the "pop" is the weight of the trunklid. All the mechanics of the trunk & top are connected to the hinges,which are connected to the trunklid .Also if you hadn't experienced it yet, the trunk supports in these car will needed to be replaced,because of the same reason.Once you open the trunk, all the weight is transferred to the supports. Next issue...I'm not totally sure, but I'm thinking the "beep,beep" warning you're getting, is also related to why your top isn't working.I do know that if my top isn't completely closed & the car is in motion, you'll get that warning noise. This could probably be a sensor issue. I haven't had any problems with my top, but there have been some threads addressing issues with the top.There are some members here that can probably pinpoint you a little closer to your problem, hopefully some will chime in.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-21-18 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 05:31 PM
JP250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your input guys. Im gonna just have to have the dealer look at it i think . But in the meantime, does anybody know how to disable that warning chime/beeping? Its driving me crazy. I think i am ok with the top not working, but that warning chime is driving me absolutely crazy!
Old 08-31-14, 09:54 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is if you pulled the fuse for the top to retract, maybe that would do it.
Old 02-21-18, 07:10 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok, sorry to revive this thread but I'm having some NEW electrical issues. We got a ton of rain here while i was at work in Gary, Indiana.Heavy downpour. On my drive home around 7pm, I noticed the steering wheel remote control light flickered a few times. Didn't think much of it as it returned. Then the wipers started having issues. Only the highest settings would work. I didn't have time to check it out last night, and hoped it would "fix itself." Woke up this morning to go to work. Trunk would not pop from key fob. Unlocked with key fob and pressed trunk button in cabin, didn't pop trunk either. Started to worry. Started car and ran through some basic checking and results are reported below. If anyone can guess which fuse might be the problem, or even something more devious.... Car is still derivable.
1. Wipers and Washer Button- ONLY HIGHEST SETTING WORKS. ALL OTHER ARE INOPERABLE
2. tilt/telescopic steering- INOPERABLE
3. Horn- INOPERABLE
4. Trunk Release- Button-INOPERABLE, Key fob: BEEP BUT NOT OPENING
5. gas release button- INOPERABLE
6. Turn signals: normal
7. Steering Wheel Radio Remote: INOPERABLE
8. Door Locks/Memory Seat Settings Buttons: normal
9. Headlights: BOTH HIGH BEAM AND LOW BEAM ILLUMINATED
10. Headlight Washer Button: INOPERABLE
11. Security Light/Remote Locking/Unlocking: Normal
12. Side Mirror Control: INOPERABLE
13. Instrument cluster/Ignition: Normal
14. Brightness control ****: INOPERABLE
15. Power Driver's Seat- Normal
16. HEADLIGHT LEVER SWITCH: INOPERABLE

I tried without resolution
- checking Fuses (1, 5,6, 33)
--for tilt/telescopic steering
--instrument cluster/gauges
--fuel door

Disconnected the battery at the moment. Won't be able to reconnect until lunch break. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-22-18 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 10:03 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

With your description and all of the simultaneous failures my first guess is water in the engine compartment fuse blocks. Have you inspected them? I’d break out the owners manual ppgs 316-322 and match up circuits with fuse locations, remembering some circuits have multiple fuses.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-21-18 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 10:35 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
With your description and all of the simultaneous failures my first guess is water in the engine compartment fuse blocks. Have you inspected them? I’d break out the owners manual ppgs 316-322 and match up circuits with fuse locations, remembering some circuits have multiple fuses.
I thought the same thing, checked the manual, and checked those fuses I listed but none were tripped. If anyone else suggests another circuit, I'll check. I just don't have time to pull and check each individual fuse until this weekend. And I drive 45 miles, 1 hour each day to and from work 8am til 8pm. Any suggestion or direction how all these different systems can be connected would help identify the circuit. Thanks .

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-21-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 10:41 AM
VVTiBob

This thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ry-help-4.html POST #50, more specifically the pdf documents in it. One of the ways they are connected is through their grounds.
Old 02-21-18, 11:06 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks VVTI. Sounds like it could be the suspect. Most of my nonfunctional items seems to point to the Ground at "Left of Steering Column. Can anyone indicate where exactly that is located?

Also. UPDATE: Went out on my lunch break and reconnected the battery. Almost everything has started working again with the exception of the Tilt/Telescopic Steering and the Dimmer switch. I saw that fuse #1 is tilt/telescopic steering but checked it this morning. It was fine. Is there a secondary fuse for the tilt/telescopic steering? or one for the dimmer switch? I wish I had time to look this up but just so busy today. Our Hammond Clinic had a roof cave in due to snow, so I've been rerouted to Gary, Indiana and we're seeing double patient load. With the extended hours and the caseload, I don't have time to properly troubleshoot what's happening, so trying to do "focused troubleshooting." Thanks for any help and advice, in advance.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-21-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 12:01 PM
VVTiBob

My 2002 shows tilt-telescopic circuit uses fuses 1,6 & 18.
The dimmer would not have a fuse as it just introduces resistance. So were the dashboard light working? The fuses are in the kick panels here:

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-21-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 12:29 PM
VVTiBob

But consider the totality of the event. A lot of rain and a myriad of electrical problems. Assuming no more rain and a period of heat from the motor leads to evaporation of the moisture and multiple circuits begin working again. Moisture leads to oxidation and corrosion, both are bad for electrical circuits.

I’ve read you’ve done a lot of mods, are both under covers still attached?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-21-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 05:17 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sorry to Hear

Hi Shawn,

Sorry to hear about your issue.
Feel your pain, I am still looking for the Electrical ground problem on my SC. BobVVTi has been awesome with all his support, I will contiue this Saturday to try to find my electrical issue and trace wires and Grounds, there is many! I sealed the Grommet you told me about, FYI---There is 3 more Grommets on the Driver side, you may want to check those for potential issues?
The only good news in my situation, is I can now re-create the issue of loosing keyless entry, by opening and closing Driver Door! I am hoping when I pull the Driver Door Panel, that maybe I can finally resolve this fiasco!

Good luck!
Bob
Old 02-22-18, 05:36 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Q

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
My 2002 shows tilt-telescopic circuit uses fuses 1,6 & 18.
The dimmer would not have a fuse as it just introduces resistance. So were the dashboard light working? The fuses are in the kick panels here:
HiVVTi Bob,

Question on grounds, I assume, example: say the Drivers fuse Box, The main Grounding point would be wires attached to the Chassis near the Fuse Box?
Thanks
Bob

Quick Reply: SC430 electrical issues