Check engine light on right after purchase HEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 05:10 PM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check engine light on right after purchase HEL

Hi all:

A few weeks ago, my girlfriend and i bought a 2003 SC430 from an area Lexus dealer... i shared the details of the find with you guys, here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post8657890

Well a few days after we got it, some problems revealed themselves.

First, the tire pressure light came on (nothing i'm not used to, with experiences with my old RX400h). We also noticed that the windshield wiper sprayer doesn't work, even though there is fluid in the reservoir. We called the Lexus dealer who sold it to us, but they dodged our calls.

But yesterday, more problems. The check engine light, VSC light, and VSC OFF lights are now illuminated. I had Autozone read the codes, and it came up as:

P0441 (EVAP system incorrect purge flow, probable cause: block vapor canister, vent solenoid malf, purge solenoid malf)

P0442 (EVAP system small leak detected, probable cause: failed vent solenoid, loose/missing fuel cap, purge solenoid malf, EVAP hose faulty)

P0446 (EVAP system vent control circuit, probable cause: open or short circuit condition, poor electrical connection, faulty vent solenoid)

And the guy at Autozone advised us that his tool can only display codes related to check engine, so we wouldn't see codes for other issues such as tire pressure, etc.

Anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong?? Or what we should do? We got the car 2 Saturday's ago from Lexus of Palm Beach in FL, of course sold "as-is" in a state with no used car lemon law. Do you think this is coincidence??

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-14, 09:10 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think it's a big deal my friend.

Check this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/278195-what-causes-these-codes-p0440-p0441-p0446.html

As for tire pressure. Just disable it, that's what I think majority of people have done. It's useless, well for me atlesst because I check my air pressure every two weeks or so and if you did have a flat well you would definately feel it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/189740-how-to-disable-tire-pressure-monitoring-tpm-system-8.html
Old 08-27-14, 06:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

those three codes are the ones that indicate some sort of emissions issue. Could be as simple as a new gas cap. Or, could be a vacuum hose loose. Or, could be major, like a charcoal canister. Too many problems throw those codes. Check the easy stuff first. Gas caps do go bad. I had it happen on my RX300. Pretty cheap fix. Also, there are vacuum hoses that can get disconnected at the air box. Look there. Good luck.
Old 08-27-14, 12:00 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by andynoel78
Hi all:

First, the tire pressure light came on (nothing i'm not used to, with experiences with my old RX400h). We also noticed that the windshield wiper sprayer doesn't work, even though there is fluid in the reservoir. We called the Lexus dealer who sold it to us, but they dodged our calls.

But yesterday, more problems. The check engine light, VSC light, and VSC OFF lights are now illuminated. I had Autozone read the codes, and it came up as:

Sorry this happened. This does not sound terrible. I have had the exact same symptoms ( CEL, VSC, VSC Off) as you twice in my nearly 7 years of ownership for my 2005 SC430. Each time the answer was replacing an oxygen sensor. There are 4 of them total on the car and I have had two replaced so far. Dealer charge for something like that came up to about $225 parts and labor each time ( but mine were both warranty fixes ). Which means a good independent mech can get it done for about $150 or less.

On TPMS, given the age of the car, my guess is your TPMS sensors have dead batteries. That will eventually happen to me but I will go the full replacement route when it happens. Just need to find a cost effective solution to getting either compatible or OEM parts. I like my TPMS as I run on non RFT tires and I like to know in advance if I am losing air pressure way before it becomes a driveability issue.
Old 08-27-14, 05:34 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Each time the answer was replacing an oxygen sensor.

Oxygen sensors don't throw these codes.
Old 08-27-14, 10:07 PM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Each time the answer was replacing an oxygen sensor.

Oxygen sensors don't throw these codes.
I'll look at my service receipts for the two CEL. VSC and VSC Off situations when I get back from vacation next week - they might have printed the codes on the write up. Will report back if I find the codes for comparison.
Old 08-28-14, 06:30 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by OBP
I'll look at my service receipts for the two CEL. VSC and VSC Off situations when I get back from vacation next week - they might have printed the codes on the write up. Will report back if I find the codes for comparison.
You may have confused P0141 which is oxygen sensor for P0441 which is evap code.
Old 08-28-14, 06:16 PM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on what bimmer416 says on the post quoted.

You got something disconnected in EVAP system. And, yes a loose fitting gas cap can cause EVAP codes and yes, it can sometimes happen just after fill up...
Old 08-28-14, 10:57 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont forget that sometimes these codes come up when nothing is really wrong. Disconnect your battery for about 15 min and reconnect to reset your ECU and see if the codes go away. There is also a trick if you dont want to have to reset your seats and radio settings where you short out two pins on the OBD2 connector and follow a procedure - search for those codes on the forum to find the procedure. I have it store somewhere but have to look. If both these things dont work then its something real. Check your vacuum hoses etc. and double check the codes. Good luck.
Old 08-28-14, 11:08 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Here's one trick w/o using the pins in the OBD connector. Ill still look for that one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7302661-post17.html
Old 08-28-14, 11:13 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With bluetooth elm327 interfaces costing as little a $7 on amazon, there's no reason why anybody shouldn't be able to read and reset codes themeselves. Just buy one of these, pair it to your android, download Torque, and then you can read the codes yourself and reset them. Plus you can view and log 200+ sensor outputs...pretty much anything that comes out of OBDII. Torque also has manufacturer specific codes and sensor readings.
Old 08-28-14, 11:17 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default VSC CEL light ECU reset procedure

Found it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8419148-post46.html. Here are the contents ...From 94ragtop ...

"Found the solution written by Speedemon from Lexus Owners

The problem is solved by putting a jumper on 2 pins in the OBD-II connector under the dash. I think a lot of owners have this problem especially after being scanned for code. Some scanners are not built the same-- that seems to be the explanation. Anyhow, here it is, with a little bit of modification as it suits the SC430.

1. Turn off ignition.
2. Look for the OBD-II connector under the dash, it has a black plastic cover which can be pulled out.
3. Using a 4-inch wire, insert ends on two pins (holes) of the OBD-II connector. Which ones? The connector has two rows of holes with pins inside. The connector's shape is basically rectangle but there's a little wedge shape to it. Like this:

______
/---------\
/-----------\

(see picture below)

I will call the narrower side of the connector the top row, and the wider side to be the lower row. Jump the following pins:
a) on the top row, counting from the left, where the first pin is 1, insert on pin number 3
b) on the bottom row, counting from the left, insert on pin
number 5.

4. Turn ON the ignition, do not start.
5. VSC and Check Engine lights turn ON. That's normal.
6. Wait for the VSC light to rapidly flash.
7. Turn OFF ignition.
8. Pull jumper wire out, cover the OBD-II connector.
9. Turn ignition ON, don't start, wait about 15 seconds to make sure everything has initialized.
10. Start car. Test drive. You've just saved yourself couple of thousand dollars.

Speedemon's car is an LS430. This may therefore be applicable to GS430 and all the UZ-FE family of engines."

Here the corresponding picture. I use a large paper click that I keep in the console.
Attached Thumbnails Check engine light on right after purchase HEL-image.jpg  
Old 08-29-14, 05:30 AM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by iolmaster
You may have confused P0141 which is oxygen sensor for P0441 which is evap code.
Currently not even sure if the dealer printed out the codes on the service receipt so no - not confused about codes cos I do not remember which codes mine threw a few years back. Just talking to ANDYNOEL about CEL, VSC and VSC Off. Will report back next week if I find any codes on my receipts.
Old 08-29-14, 06:35 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't panic. I'm betting these are quick fixes.

First check those hoses at the top of the engine (under the plastic shroud), drivers side (search forum for pictures - common issue it seems). One or more seem to love to slide off their fittings on these vehicles. There's an excellent chance that all you have is a hose that has popped off, and batteries dying on the tire sensors (I disabled my system and installed aftermarket sensors and display).

However, it makes me quite suspicious that the dealer simply cleared the evap emission codes knowing that they would stay off for long enough to sell the car.

Last edited by kjcole; 08-29-14 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 08:02 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Don't panic. I'm betting these are quick fixes.

First check those hoses at the top of the engine (under the plastic shroud), drivers side (search forum for pictures - common issue it seems). One or more seem to love to slide off their fittings on these vehicles. There's an excellent chance that all you have is a hose that has popped off, and batteries dying on the tire sensors (I disabled my system and installed aftermarket sensors and display).

However, it makes me quite suspicious that the dealer simply cleared the evap emission codes knowing that they would stay off for long enough to sell the car.
That would come from the P0440 code. I had it several times and finally fix the little box that the tubes connecting to.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on right after purchase HEL