SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New TPMS sensors on Amazon for $59 prime.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 02:33 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New TPMS sensors on Amazon for $59 prime.

Genuine Toyota 42607-33021 Tire Valve Sub-Assembly for $59.58 free 2 shipping for prime.

So my tpms light went on this morning solid even though all my tires have 35 psi in them cold(rechecked).

It's a 2007 with 28K miles on it. So I guess these things really fail because of time and not use.

My question is am I likely to get new sensors that were made years ago and hence will fail shortly?

I know it's a pain to replace the batteries but they can be replaced. They are standard li button cells and tab welders can be bought used off ebay for little more than $100 or so. It seems like I might be better off just replacing the batteries then I can be sure.

Still $240 for all 4 sensors if really new seems like a great deal.

Last edited by sorka; 08-25-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 03:24 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use them just one more things I don't have to worry about and I save money for other things.
Old 08-25-14, 05:13 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Yea, I don't like to bother with those safety items like lights, tires, breaks, etc. They just cost too much.

Seriously though, to have to spend $250 bucks every 7 years to replace the sensors or $20 bucks to replace the batteries (plus time if you go the replace battery route) doesn't seem pricey or excessive given that these things can save your but when you run over something and start to get a flat while your cornering. I've had TPMS systems save my but twice and keep me from an almost certain disaster.

I chose to buy new sensors. I also spent $150 on the ATEQ TPMS programmer as that's about what I'd pay to a dealer in the Bay Area. The programmer works on all 4 of my cars that have TPMS systems so I suspect I'll get my money's worth many times over.
Old 08-25-14, 07:23 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

when you get a flat its flat I don't need sensors to tell me it flat. I have a pump in my car I check my tire preasure.about 2X a week cold.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-25-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 08:13 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Erhhh, not that simple.

I once had a nail in my tire on my BMW and I didn't feel a thing when the tire light lit. I got off highway and checked the tire pressure of all 4 tires. Sure enough one tire was at 20 psi.

Got to the nearest tire place. $20 fixed a nail still in the tire. I would imagine without the TPMS warning, I could still be driving on higway till the final moment (very dangerous when the tire gives out at high speeds). And for a $20 fix I saved a tire at least costing $200 to replace if I am lucky enough not ended up in a hospital.

Last edited by jzwu; 08-25-14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-26-14, 06:38 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone's situation is different but, if you're running run-flats, TPMS makes a lot of sense. It's a good safety net.

Also, as far as the OP talking about replacing the batteries...remember that you have to un-mount the tire to get to the sensors, to tear them apart to get to the batteries.

I don't know about you but, to me, that's a total PITA!
Old 08-26-14, 07:34 AM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone wanting four new OEM sensors should check out my ad in SC430 classifieds...
Old 08-26-14, 08:10 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

And there are aftermarket systems with their own displays that work pretty well too (cheaper than a set of OEM sensors) if you don't mind wiring into the car and finding a mounting location for the display (but at least you get actual tire pressures and temps displayed). I have such a system, but the batteries die on them too (after 5 years). I need to replace those sensors at the next tire change (which is dang soon).
Old 08-26-14, 03:41 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The yellow sensors from amazon?
Old 08-26-14, 10:31 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bacardi11
when you get a flat its flat I don't need sensors to tell me it flat. I have a pump in my car I check my tire preasure.about 2X a week cold.
I also check my tire pressure regularly with a gauge, but if I'm driving on the road and get a nail that doesn't go in clean, it can make the tire go flat slowly in about 10 minutes. If I'm driving twisties, TPMS can come in very handy. Not very often, but I credit it twice with preventing a possibly deadly accident.

Clearly you don't need or want safety devices. I suggest you go back to a Flintstone style drivetrain.

Live in ignorance. It's you're choice. Just don't be around me on the road when cause an accident because you're too cheap to keep your vehicle safety equipment functioning.
Old 08-27-14, 06:06 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I been driving over 50+ years and I don't think it ignorance I took them out when I got my new Work Rim and the valve stem are hard to get and most shop don't have them. the sensor have been around 10 years so all the years before that you driving an unsafe car. i'm not the only one on this forum that dose this. this happen to me they could get the valve stem nut off so they had to cut the stem nut off I had to wait 2 days to get a new stem. what did you do when they didn't have sensor not drive?
Old 08-27-14, 08:19 AM
C-COOP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
I also spent $150 on the ATEQ TPMS programme
Awesome! where do you buy one of these? I am sick of paying Lexus $75 each time...

Also: which model do you have that works on the SC430?
Old 08-27-14, 09:36 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jzwu
Erhhh, not that simple.

I once had a nail in my tire on my BMW and I didn't feel a thing when the tire light lit. I got off highway and checked the tire pressure of all 4 tires. Sure enough one tire was at 20 psi.

Got to the nearest tire place. $20 fixed a nail still in the tire. I would imagine without the TPMS warning, I could still be driving on higway till the final moment (very dangerous when the tire gives out at high speeds). And for a $20 fix I saved a tire at least costing $200 to replace if I am lucky enough not ended up in a hospital.
I had a slow leak a few weeks ago. I was just about to get on the freeway, but as soon as I started the car, the warning light came on. So I aired it up with the compressor in my trunk. I was able to watch the pressure slowly drop on the dash just in case I needed to pull over again. Made it home safely and was able to get it repaired the next morning.
Old 08-27-14, 10:14 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bacardi11
I been driving over 50+ years and I don't think it ignorance I took them out when I got my new Work Rim and the valve stem are hard to get and most shop don't have them. the sensor have been around 10 years so all the years before that you driving an unsafe car. i'm not the only one on this forum that dose this. this happen to me they could get the valve stem nut off so they had to cut the stem nut off I had to wait 2 days to get a new stem. what did you do when they didn't have sensor not drive?
Yes, you were driving an UNSAFER car. The point being that improvement in technology is making cars safer every year in many ways. Deaths in the US per capita or a small fraction of what they used to be 40 years due to advancement in vehicle design and safety features.

There was also a time we didn't have cell phones to get emergency help quicker, or antibiotics to save lives. I could go on and on about technological advancement (leaving ethical discussion aside) over the decades, centuries, and millennium that have more than doubled life expectancy in less than 150 years.
Old 08-27-14, 10:16 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by C-COOP
Awesome! where do you buy one of these? I am sick of paying Lexus $75 each time...

Also: which model do you have that works on the SC430?
The ATEQ quickset on Amazon or other online sources for $150.

Quick Reply: New TPMS sensors on Amazon for $59 prime.