SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Keeping steering wheel controls with new head unit

Old 08-21-14, 09:42 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keeping steering wheel controls with new head unit

I am waiting for my newly purchased 2002 Indigo Ink Pearl to arrive and researching modernization of electronics. I have learned quite a lot from you Club Lexus members. Thank you.

I stopped by a leading auto audio shop in Seattle today. He's proposing a Pioneer AVH-X5600bhs head unit, mounted in the Beat-Sonic MVA-12L adapter. he also proposes a Metra Axxess ASWC OEM steering wheel control interface module. He says the Beat-Sonic adapter does not retain all of the steering wheel controls and the module corrects that. Have any of you installed this Pioneer unit in your SC and do any of you have any experience with the ASWC module?

I'm planning to install a NAV Tool back up camera module and camera myself. It looks pretty simple. I'm not so confident about installing the new head unit, even though I've see the excellent descriptions on this website..
Old 08-22-14, 06:24 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlp1949
I am waiting for my newly purchased 2002 Indigo Ink Pearl to arrive and researching modernization of electronics. I have learned quite a lot from you Club Lexus members. Thank you.

I stopped by a leading auto audio shop in Seattle today. He's proposing a Pioneer AVH-X5600bhs head unit, mounted in the Beat-Sonic MVA-12L adapter. he also proposes a Metra Axxess ASWC OEM steering wheel control interface module. He says the Beat-Sonic adapter does not retain all of the steering wheel controls and the module corrects that. Have any of you installed this Pioneer unit in your SC and do any of you have any experience with the ASWC module?

I'm planning to install a NAV Tool back up camera module and camera myself. It looks pretty simple. I'm not so confident about installing the new head unit, even though I've see the excellent descriptions on this website..
I looked at the specs on this Pioneer head unit and the nose depth is 3/8". It should be a slam dunk install. A 3/4" nose depth could press further modifications to ensure that the door closes.

Regards, Dan
Old 08-22-14, 06:38 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be interested to hear if anyone has gone this route - specifically, do we know that those two adapters play well with each other (both are intended to interface with the steering wheel controls).

I'd sure get proof from the installer that they've done this before and then exactly what results are achieved.

Kelly
Old 08-22-14, 06:38 AM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished replacing my entire audio system, including the head unit. I got the Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX, and I'm very happy with it. The door closes just fine, although when it does, it presses the center button of the Pioneer, which activates its voice control feature. I am planning on putting a tiny rubber door stopper on the inside of the audio door so it touches the unit in a spot other than that button.

The only thing I couldn't solve was steering wheel controls. I got an AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX SWC, and according to their site, as well as people in their tech support department, it's supposed to work with our SC430s.

-Dan
Old 08-22-14, 06:44 AM
Born2x
Rookie

I am curious about the Metra Axxess ASWC module installed with the BeatSonic adapter. I have the Metra Axxess ASWC module installed in my Rav4 & understand how it's wired. Knowing how both units get wired, I would guess there would conflict. It would be nice to have a schematic to better understand how this could be achieved. It's also curious how the BeatSonic video (mode button) & the fade control is affected. With the BeatSonic setup alone, the head units rear speaker leads are ignored completely.

Hummmm... very curious.

Regards, Dan
Old 08-22-14, 08:39 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by editordz
I just finished replacing my entire audio system, including the head unit. I got the Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX, and I'm very happy with it. The door closes just fine, although when it does, it presses the center button of the Pioneer, which activates its voice control feature. I am planning on putting a tiny rubber door stopper on the inside of the audio door so it touches the unit in a spot other than that button.

The only thing I couldn't solve was steering wheel controls. I got an AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX SWC, and according to their site, as well as people in their tech support department, it's supposed to work with our SC430s.

-Dan
Dan...

I'm surprised the Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX with a 7/8" nose depth wouldn't require enlarging clearance holes, grinding pins & swapping flat head countersink screws. If this is true, the tolerance stack for this entire assembly is huge. I installed the 4000 (3/4" nose depth) and had to modify to close the door.

Regards, Dan
Old 08-22-14, 08:48 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

The shop owner says he has done a number of SC430 installs. He did know the correct model numbers for the SC430 Beat Sonic unit from memory. He said the Beat Sonic alone does not give full steering wheel control functionality - two functions do not work. Can any of you confirm that? He was confident the Metra Axxess corrects that.

I have not had good results from aftermarket Bluetooth devices. I had a Pioneer unit put into a 400LS 3 years ago and the sound quality was poor even with the mike near the front ceiling lights. This shop owner says the BT quality with this Pioneer and his mike placement will be on par with the better factory installs. What has been your experience? Is he pretty much right or exaggerating?

Finally, I don't see any USB plug-ins on the Pioneer. How do you deal with phone charging? USB installs or a a cigarette lighter adapter?
Old 08-22-14, 09:15 AM
Born2x
Rookie

The shop owner says he has done a number of SC430 installs. He did know the correct model numbers for the SC430 Beat Sonic unit from memory. He said the Beat Sonic alone does not give full steering wheel control functionality - two functions do not work. Can any of you confirm that? He was confident the Metra Axxess corrects that.

I have not had good results from aftermarket Bluetooth devices. I had a Pioneer unit put into a 400LS 3 years ago and the sound quality was poor even with the mike near the front ceiling lights. This shop owner says the BT quality with this Pioneer and his mike placement will be on par with the better factory installs. What has been your experience? Is he pretty much right or exaggerating?

Finally, I don't see any USB plug-ins on the Pioneer. How do you deal with phone charging? USB installs or a a cigarette lighter adapter?
It would be nice to know how your installer wired it up.

I brought out the USB ports & HDMI port from the back of my head unit to pass-through panel connectors on the forward face of the console compartment.

I think I bought them at B&H online.

Regards, Dan

Last edited by Born2x; 08-22-14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 10:35 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The mode control now switches video to the Nav screen (if you tapped into it according to the Beatsonic install instructions), and the arrows under the mode (not the volume) will work as the front/back faders. Here is from a post from Beatsonic on this forum:

"The two arrows below the "Mode" button, up and down will change your fader setting from front to rear. The up arrow will fade the sound to the front while the down arrow will fade the sound to the rear. The arrows must be tapped for the setting to change. Just push and hold will not change the setting progressively.

Here is the instructions on how to operate the steering wheel controls properly:
Appendix A Steering Wheel Controls Operation Manual
"

Important to set all the existing head unit controls in their midrange before pulling, and then on the new head unit to set the volume in the middle (20 on Pioneers) and use the steering wheel control for volume modulation. If the volume is set low via the steering wheel, and then you try to raise the volume at the head unit, you'll get serious distortion. Annoying for passengers who are volume control freaks.
Old 08-22-14, 11:09 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by kjcole
The mode control now switches video to the Nav screen (if you tapped into it according to the Beatsonic install instructions), and the arrows under the mode (not the volume) will work as the front/back faders. Here is from a post from Beatsonic on this forum:

"The two arrows below the "Mode" button, up and down will change your fader setting from front to rear. The up arrow will fade the sound to the front while the down arrow will fade the sound to the rear. The arrows must be tapped for the setting to change. Just push and hold will not change the setting progressively.

Here is the instructions on how to operate the steering wheel controls properly:
Appendix A Steering Wheel Controls Operation Manual
"

Important to set all the existing head unit controls in their midrange before pulling, and then on the new head unit to set the volume in the middle (20 on Pioneers) and use the steering wheel control for volume modulation. If the volume is set low via the steering wheel, and then you try to raise the volume at the head unit, you'll get serious distortion. Annoying for passengers who are volume control freaks.

Kelly,

That's exactly how mine works. It would be nice to know what you get or lose with the Metra Axxess module.

Regards, Dan
Old 08-22-14, 11:50 AM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rlp1949, why not PM Eric at BeatSonic here on CL and ask his opinion on using the metra in conjunction with the MVA-12L?
Old 08-22-14, 04:00 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Good suggestion, mohrd. I did PM him. We'll see what he says.

Roger
Old 08-22-14, 04:23 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Eric says:

The Beat-Sonic MVA-12L retains partial steering wheel controls - the volume **** becomes the amplifier gain control (controls volume by controlling the OEM amp) and the up/down arrow becomes the Fader control. The mode button will become the video input source.

Although we have never had experience using ASWC, if all works well, the steering wheel controls should also be retained - volume controls aftermarket head unit. However, I would not be able to say what the up/down arrow and the menu button will do.

Looks like they are unfamiliar with the ASWC. I'll try contacting Metra Axxess.

Roger
Old 08-22-14, 05:50 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RIP1949, not sure I can answer all of your questions but I did have the Beatsonic and Pioneer model similar to yours installed in my 02. Both work wonderfully! I had it stalled professionally. I have however learned to get into the radio area, work on all the speakers with confidence. I am not sure I would try to install the Beatsonic myself. It is a job, I think. On mine, the bluetooth works greats, no problems with sound on my end or those that I am speaking to. I did not have the optional steering wheel wiring installed. The steering wheel controls are confusing. One person from Beatsonic has come on some of the blog posts and posted some very useful info, you might search this out. I pretty much don't use the steering wheel controls as I seem to always mess things up...that is just me. But, bottom line, I don't think you will be dissatisfied. I am completely pleased! I did replace all of the foam on every speaker....it made a BIG difference. Great sound! Enjoy the ride and the sound....
Old 08-23-14, 08:33 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Good points, Moondog. I don't think steering wheel control issues will stop me from moving ahead. However, I do like being able to use these controls if I can. I've grown accustomed to changing XM stations and Rhapsody selections from the steering wheel without taking my eyes off the road.

I appreciate the advice about installing Beat-Sonic myself. The installer charges $330 plus full retail prices on components. So, it's tempting to do it myself with the advice that can be found on this website. However, there is a lot to be said for experience and I don't have any with this task!

I did email Metra Axxess tech support about their ASWC steering wheel control product. I don't expect to hear back from them before Monday. I'm interested in their response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeping steering wheel controls with new head unit