SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lowering the ride

Old 08-17-14, 03:20 PM
Countdamon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the ride

Going to lower the SC tomorrow with some pbm coilovers, thinking 1.5 inches. Wondering if I can go lower without having issues. Wondering how much other members have lowered there's, and how it rides
Old 08-17-14, 04:04 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm lowered few inches. Handles GREAT. Much more responsive than stock suspension. Ride is obviously stiffer than stock, but that's the sacrifice.

Old 08-17-14, 04:27 PM
Countdamon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura2lex do you recall just how much you've lowered your ride
Old 08-17-14, 05:19 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acura2Lex
I'm lowered few inches. Handles GREAT. Much more responsive than stock suspension. Ride is obviously stiffer than stock, but that's the sacrifice.

How did you achieve great ride? Im slammed a bit lower than you on freshly refinished/widened custom bazreias with perfect wheel balance (balanced them at 3 diff shops to make sure balancing wasnt problem with brand new tires) and rims (19x10.5fr 19x11.5rr) but drives like crap with major steering wheel shimmy going between 50-75 mph getting strongest around 65. Nrand new megan LPs installed and wheels are flush with fenders w/o pull (only rolled) and no spacers whatsoever.
Old 08-17-14, 05:30 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last week I had Megan LP Coilovers installed with the following setup. Dampening is set at 17, and the car rides just like OEM.

- Front: 1.0" drop
- Rear : just a hair over 1.0" drop

The reason why I didn't go lower is due to the aggressive setup on my vehicle, thus to avoid rubbing.
I've been driving my car around town on highways, curving roads and average street roads, including those with speed bumps and so far zero issues and no rubbing.

- Front Tires: 255/35/20 @ 9" width & offset +48 (BBK)
- Rear Tires:285/30/20 @ 10.5" width & offset +38 (BBK)
Attached Thumbnails Lowering the ride-image.jpg  
Old 08-17-14, 05:36 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Djsurfer, do your wheels require "Hub Centric Rings?"

Old 08-17-14, 07:03 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DarthSid
Djsurfer, do your wheels require "Hub Centric Rings?"
No I dont believe so, Im on Weds Kranze Bazreias and never needed then on my LS400...
Old 08-17-14, 07:07 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Countdamon
Acura2lex do you recall just how much you've lowered your ride
I'm estimating ~4 inches from stock height.

Originally Posted by djsurfer
How did you achieve great ride? Im slammed a bit lower than you on freshly refinished/widened custom bazreias with perfect wheel balance (balanced them at 3 diff shops to make sure balancing wasnt problem with brand new tires) and rims (19x10.5fr 19x11.5rr) but drives like crap with major steering wheel shimmy going between 50-75 mph getting strongest around 65. Nrand new megan LPs installed and wheels are flush with fenders w/o pull (only rolled) and no spacers whatsoever.
I get the same steering wheel vibrate. Mine is from 55-65mph. My BC Coilovers are dampening adjustable so I just fine tune it to how I like it.
Old 08-17-14, 07:14 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DarthSid
Last week I had Megan LP Coilovers installed with the following setup. Dampening is set at 17, and the car rides just like OEM.

- Front: 1.0" drop
- Rear : just a hair over 1.0" drop

The reason why I didn't go lower is due to the aggressive setup on my vehicle, thus to avoid rubbing.
I've been driving my car around town on highways, curving roads and average street roads, including those with speed bumps and so far zero issues and no rubbing.

- Front Tires: 255/35/20 @ 9" width & offset +48 (BBK)
- Rear Tires:285/30/20 @ 10.5" width & offset +38 (BBK)
Is that 17 from left to right? Or right to left and is that for both front and rears? Thanks
Old 08-17-14, 07:17 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

How long did you drive your SC on OEM rims before installing 20s ? Reason I am asking is cos many long time SC 430 owners who ride on 18s have reported minor vibration around 65 mph but this goes away at lower and higher speeds. I am riding on OEM 18 inch twisties and Conti DWS and I generally get minor vibration at between 60-65 and it lessens once I get past 70. Totally smooth 75 and up. So what you could be experiencing is a natural tendency of the SC to vibrate at that speed and your 20s and slammed set up just magnify the effect.
Old 08-17-14, 07:19 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Acura2Lex

I'd have to agree with Acura2Lex...great handling after the drop,but you can feel the stiffness of the suspension when you hit a good bump !!! Only difference I've done was to go the springs route,instead of the coilovers. I'm dropped about 1.5-2 in on Tein Sports Springs, but I'm also still on 18 wheels(for now)...so this may be helping my ride also.....almost forgot, no vibration/shaking at any speed...

...this is an older pic, just to show the ride height
Old 08-17-14, 07:24 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OBP
How long did you drive your SC on OEM rims before installing 20s ? Reason I am asking is cos many long time SC 430 owners who ride on 18s have reported minor vibration around 65 mph but this goes away at lower and higher speeds. I am riding on OEM 18 inch twisties and Conti DWS and I generally get minor vibration at between 60-65 and it lessens once I get past 70. Totally smooth 75 and up. So what you could be experiencing is a natural tendency of the SC to vibrate at that speed and your 20s and slammed set up just magnify the effect.
Well thats just it... the car never had OEM wheels they were on 18" chrome Momos and drove fine at all speeds on them. Then I put on my 19" Bazreias before the coil install a few weeks ago with no vibrations. After install of coils it always shakes only past 50 and starts going away at 75mph. But I removed front wheels and out put on the Momos ONLY in the front and vibration disapeared. Thats where i went to a couple of tire shops to rebalance them but they were fine. Vibration still cintinues with my 19 Bazreias on, Ill mess with dampening later but I doubt thats the issue
Old 08-17-14, 07:31 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

his is my ride height btw
Old 08-17-14, 08:10 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Is that 17 from left to right? Or right to left and is that for both front and rears? Thanks
Yes, my dampers are dialed in at 17 for the front Coilovers & 17 for the rear. Or the same all around.
Old 08-17-14, 08:38 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I'd have to agree with Acura2Lex...great handling after the drop,but you can feel the stiffness of the suspension when you hit a good bump !!! Only difference I've done was to go the springs route,instead of the coilovers. I'm dropped about 1.5-2 in on Tein Sports Springs, but I'm also still on 18 wheels(for now)...so this may be helping my ride also.....almost forgot, no vibration/shaking at any speed...

...this is an older pic, just to show the ride height
What are your wheels offsets and widths? Also what tires are you running? I'm thinking of maybe going to an 18 inch setup.. Yours is looking good

his is my ride height btw
Sick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering the ride