Brand New SC Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 10:59 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New SC Owner

Hey folks!

Well decided to purchase a used 06 yesterday. More (and better) photos to come once I've removed all the dealer junk from it and cleaned/waxed her myself, but here are some for now. I've been mostly over in the IS sections but it's been a while - I also own an 09 IS (still do!) but have always loved the SC.

Current mods.. none! She's stock (for an SC that means she's quite well optioned out IMO). Plan to do the whole interior LED thing eventually and probably a Vais system coming soon.

These cars are hard to find these days - seems like they're scarcely for sale anymore. Had to drive 60+ miles to get this one...

Old 08-16-14, 11:36 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice color! Congrats.
Old 08-17-14, 10:30 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Definitely back to the future. I still say this car looks better than most of the cars out there. I considered a BMW 4-series convert for a long time, but went with this instead. Been wanting one for many years now, and we're a Lexus family anyway. They've always treated me well with my IS, so can't complain.

Why they discontinued this car I'll never know... The IS convert is an entirely different car I feel.. more sporty than luxury, particularly with the 3IS changes.
Old 08-17-14, 08:15 PM
mohrd
Driver

Congrats phillimt. Nothing like being a multiple Lexus owner especially when one is the hard to come by SC430. I just was talking with a dealer this past week that has never had one for sale on their lot. Enjoy!
Old 08-17-14, 08:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! You aren't kidding when you say these are hard to find. My search came up with one in a specific search criteria and maybe four IS350c in a 90 mile area. Now BMW in the same search criteria were in the thousands with 49,999.9 miles on it. Lol. Wonder why?....lol

Again, great choice!
Old 08-22-14, 04:04 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

That's crazy that I'm not the only one having trouble. I think the main reason I was lucky enough to get one is I live in Seattle right now, and even the best convertibles are still seen as a foolish purchase here...! I'm very glad to have found her though.

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
The car runs and is built like a tank and the engine, if you look at it, simply looks indestructible. I believe these cars were made to be error free minus typical wear items meaing the drive-train will not blink in a staring contest, if you know what I mean.
They do seem to be error free - the Lexus dealership here said they've seen several over 200k miles roll in. It's good to hear over and over again though, makes me feel like I made a good purchase! Most people complain that the car is extremely unpractical for all the reasons we've listed in the forms (which really is just the back seat being too small - personally i'm really glad it isn't bigger, and I'm also glad it's there, it's useful for carrying stuff around). I love it more each time I drive it!

Washed/waxed/leather properly taken care of, so a few more photos....

Dealers can't properly take care of cars. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer actually wax cars.

BMWs really are all over the place though, I agree... They can't sell used BMWs. They're all like 1/3 of the ridiculous previous price and they still have thousands of them..

I'm definitely a proud multiple Lexus owner

Ignore the random water bottle that somewhat ruins it all... haha

Old 08-22-14, 04:17 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that Lexus advertised by Milam. We were tempted but preferred the saddle leather. Is it dark gray exterior?

I agree that there are not many SCs available in the NW. I, too, just made a purchase but it's a 2002 with 53,000 miles and i's coming from Maryland.
Old 08-23-14, 01:02 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rlp1949
I saw that Lexus advertised by Milam. We were tempted but preferred the saddle leather. Is it dark gray exterior?

I agree that there are not many SCs available in the NW. I, too, just made a purchase but it's a 2002 with 53,000 miles and i's coming from Maryland.
It is dark gray exterior. I like it - it was initially advertised as black. I was actually quite happy to discover it wasn't black.

Yes, not many in the NW. I had to go all the way down there to get this one. I thought about importing, but this one worked for us.

Are you in Seattle as well? Looking forward to seeing photos of your imported SC!
Old 08-23-14, 08:49 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I live east of the Cascades.

I agree with you on that dark gray color. Mine is Indigo Ink Pearl. I worry how I'll like a blue color. I think I'll love it or I wouldn't have proceeded, but I'm anxious to see it for real in about a week.
Old 08-23-14, 09:34 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rlp1949
I live east of the Cascades.

I agree with you on that dark gray color. Mine is Indigo Ink Pearl. I worry how I'll like a blue color. I think I'll love it or I wouldn't have proceeded, but I'm anxious to see it for real in about a week.
Yes I'm sure it'll be excellent. I considered the saddle interior, but this one was closer and black sounded good to me haha
Old 08-23-14, 11:17 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Very nice phillimt. Welcome to the SC430 family! I was born in Port Angeles and still have many relatives living there. I've also lived in Olympia and a short stay in Everett working for Boeing. Back then I had a '68 Bronco and had the top off all the time.

Best regards, Dan
Old 08-23-14, 03:26 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Born2x
Very nice phillimt. Welcome to the SC430 family! I was born in Port Angeles and still have many relatives living there. I've also lived in Olympia and a short stay in Everett working for Boeing. Back then I had a '68 Bronco and had the top off all the time.

Best regards, Dan
Thanks! I'd love to work for Boeing. It's not a bad area, we've been up here for a year now. It's a great area to have the top off ,especially now during summer!
Old 08-27-14, 09:51 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Nice car. Did you purchase from a private owner? I am looking for a well kept sc silver w ecru interior.
Old 08-28-14, 07:51 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Congrats, phillimt

I got mine eight days ago with 151,000 miles. Our distance was 220 miles away. Driving home, the night breeze was amazing. Thanks to the wife for putting up with me on the long drive. To me the long drive was not long at all. If you like the roof down with a cool, night breeze, you would say the same thing. LoL

Wish mine has the black interior, but white it is. I'll accept what I have. Dark colored on black is way better IMO.
Old 10-04-14, 12:44 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aflygurl
Nice car. Did you purchase from a private owner? I am looking for a well kept sc silver w ecru interior.
I did not actually - purchased from a Mazda dealership out in WA in the middle of nowhere. Worked out well though, seems like they'd actually had trouble selling it/getting people interested in it (guess the combination of having a Lex at a Mazda dealer, and convertible + rain + cold made it tough) so it was definitely meant to be! Got a good deal on it, I think.

Originally Posted by Regent6
Congrats, phillimt

I got mine eight days ago with 151,000 miles. Our distance was 220 miles away. Driving home, the night breeze was amazing. Thanks to the wife for putting up with me on the long drive. To me the long drive was not long at all. If you like the roof down with a cool, night breeze, you would say the same thing. LoL

Wish mine has the black interior, but white it is. I'll accept what I have. Dark colored on black is way better IMO.
Congrats on your new purchase as well! I love white interiors - that's what we have on the IS. Just wish it was better with resisting stains (esp jean dye transfer). I'm glad this one had the dark interior, nice to not worry about wearing jeans..!

I love the roof down with a cool night breeze, for sure

Quick Reply: Brand New SC Owner