SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Interior Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 09:07 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Interior Wrap

Hey everyone, so I've been giving an idea quite a bit of consideration and thought I would throw the idea out and see what people think. I'm thinking of wrapping the interior wood grain in carbon fiber vinyl to make the interior look a little more modern and exclusive. I'd have it done professionally, of course. What do you all think? I have the Black Leather with the Dark Walnut trim. I was thinking either an Anthracite (Grey) Carbon Fiber or Black Carbon Fiber. Any thoughts or any photos of anyone who's done this mod?
Old 08-11-14, 09:39 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds interesting! Buy used panels on ebay and have them wrapped. This way you can always put back your original parts if it doesn't work out.
Old 08-11-14, 11:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks great on a black interior:

I changed the shift **** with an IS ****. Easy to find on eBay and CL classified.

The steering wheel is also done with CF overlay, but I have a leather cover since I prefer the feel of it when driving...
Old 08-12-14, 04:23 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always loved the look of REAL Carbon Fiber, but many of the fake CF's have left me cold...they just don't have the same look...the "Refractivity" and "Depth" of real Carbon Fiber is missing, which to me, is its greatest attribute for interiors.....

That being said, some of the newer "Dry" (matte) CF vinyl films are actually really good, and 3M's new "4D" vinyl wraps (gloss) are actually quite impressive. ...just Google 3D & 4D 3M wrap and you will see many examples...the Youtube videos are your best bet to see how they actually look as you move light around them (the way they refract light is what makes Carbon Fiber appealing - at least to me). I's also available in various colors now....

Another option is to use REAL carbon Fiber sheets & embedding it with resin for the ultimate look (it's REAL carbon fiber, not fake).....

rcJten did a great "How To" on how he did it....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bon-fiber.html

Good luck..

Last edited by NAmVet68; 08-12-14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 05:15 AM
hcstraub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done several of my cars interiors (but not the SC) and it looks great. As a matter of fact I wrapped my ford edge in vinyl last week and plan on doing the interior in brushed metal vinyl this weekend. It looks great if done correctly
I am in the business, if you decide to do it, make sure to use the 3M 1080 vinyls (NOT Avery, Arlon or 3M DINOC). The1080 films go on easier, and more importantly, they come off easier. I wouldn't use anything else on my cars/interiors.
For the record to Namvet68, the '4D' vinyl film is not a 3M product......
Old 08-12-14, 06:19 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hcstraub
I have done several of my cars interiors (but not the SC) and it looks great. As a matter of fact I wrapped my ford edge in vinyl last week and plan on doing the interior in brushed metal vinyl this weekend. It looks great if done correctly
I am in the business, if you decide to do it, make sure to use the 3M 1080 vinyls (NOT Avery, Arlon or 3M DINOC). The1080 films go on easier, and more importantly, they come off easier. I wouldn't use anything else on my cars/interiors.
Thanks for the info and the recommendation of 3M 1080 and I thought that 3M Di-Noc was the gold standard as far as appearance.
Would this also be true for exterior applications?
Old 08-12-14, 08:27 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected...sorry. I thought it was a 3M product.
I was really impressed with the photos of the stuff on a Bimmer site.. I love the way it reflects light like real CF. It may look different in real life, but in the photos, it looks very good :
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...02&postcount=1

If you follow the link in the post, there are more photos of the stuff...interior & exterior shots....

Last edited by NAmVet68; 08-12-14 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 03:11 PM
hcstraub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Autoplak
Thanks for the info and the recommendation of 3M 1080 and I thought that 3M Di-Noc was the gold standard as far as appearance.
Would this also be true for exterior applications?
There are a few issues with Dinoc. First, it was never made for vehicle application. The adhesive is permanent. Meaning, it is not meant to be removed and is very difficult to remove if you try. Second, it is very thick (7ml) which makes it hard to apply over any curves (not conformable). It is also not nearly as UV resistant as the 1080 films and doesn't come with the same warranty . As far as appearance......they are very similar. With the newly launched 'straight' grain carbon fiber 1080 there are a few looks to choose from. I personally like the original, ymmv.

The new car films have come a long way and make color changes/interior upgrades a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 08-18-14, 03:19 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Film is film and fools no one, especially the owner. You'll end up spending a lot of money to disappoint yourself I fear.
Old 08-18-14, 04:23 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it ShawnOk. Unless you want to downgrade quite possibly the most beautiful factory interior in the business... Just say no!

Last edited by Lexeffect; 08-18-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-30-14, 11:31 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

I know some of you guys dont like it, but I am very pleased with my interior.
It is 3M 1080 Anthracite matt cf and as it is just wrapped can easily be reverted to the original.

Steering wheel will be done in a couple of weeks and I am on the lookout for a different shift ****.
I searched the forum to find out the thread size with no luck, but now its off it is 8 x 1.25 if anyone is interested.

Cheers Steve
Old 08-30-14, 12:11 PM
hcstraub
Driver School Candidate

Steve,
I really like how that turned out. Did you install it yourself? If so, nice job.....
Old 08-31-14, 09:30 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Steve, that looks amazing! Exactly how I imagined it! I'm going to do the same, I think. I was already thinking the Anthracite was the way to go and you just put the nail in the coffin! Thanks for the pics!
Old 08-31-14, 12:03 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Steve,
I really like how that turned out. Did you install it yourself? If so, nice job.....
Thanks hcstraub.

I removed all the parts and had it wrapped by the same people that did my roof, then put it back together myself.
Have the steering wheel done the same as soon as I can get the car booked in.

On the look out for a new shift **** now, ordered a cheap temporary one for now until I find one I like, all ideas welcome.
Old 08-31-14, 12:08 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Steve, that looks amazing! Exactly how I imagined it! I'm going to do the same, I think. I was already thinking the Anthracite was the way to go and you just put the nail in the coffin! Thanks for the pics!
Thanks Shawn, I like the lighter colour, but it's not too, 'in your face'.

Now to find a new shifter ****.

Quick Reply: Interior Wrap