AUX and iPhone Car Kit for Lexus SC 2005-2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 12:01 PM
biggy8133
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AUX and iPhone Car Kit for Lexus SC 2005-2010

Hello to all,
I want to install an AUX/iPhone connection in my car since Lexus decided to make a $65,000 sports car without that option but gave you a really nice tape player. Who the heck has played a tape since like 1990!? lol

Anyhow, I have a 2007 SC430 and am looking at this kit by GTA (http://www.gtacarkits.com/product/le...phone-aux-kit/). The product looks to be what most people would want and the install video looks to be pretty straight forward.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried a GTA product or installed one and how that process went for them. Any issues or concerns?
OR
Has anyone installed a similar product that they can recommend or give insight to?

Thanks
Old 07-25-14, 01:05 PM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experience with the GTA kit, but actually, you would be surprised at how good that tape player is. It's audiophile quality (if you are familiar with the old Nakamichi cassette decks - its in the same class).

I'm an old fart, so I still have a pretty decent collection of cassette tapes (including a bunch of Master Recordings) and to be honest, the tapes sound BETTER than the CD player! Even my wife (who is no audiophile) always wants to listen to the tape player instead of the radio or CD.....with the right quality tapes, it's amazing. If you try playing some old cassettes that sat in someones car for a few years...not so much.

That being said - until you find a good AUX-in/ iPhone connection - get the Monster Cassette adapter (Google " monster cassette adapter" - I got mine at Wal Mart for under $20) and use the headphone jack of your iPhone/iPod/MP3 player. Don't bother with the cheaper cassette adapters, they don't have the same audio quality as the Monster version. If you are into Audio at all, you are familiar with the Monster brand.....good stuff.

Since the tape deck is such high quality, you will be surprised at how good the sound is. The only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes there's a little rattle coming from the tape deck sprockets when it's between songs....but you only notice it when driving slowly because the SC has such a quiet cabin. It's not the most elegant solution (with the wire laying about), but the sound coming out of my old iPod is as good as in my wife's VW CC with the iPod interface....maybe better. Best $20 I've spent - Worth every penny.

There's also a Chinese company (only one I've heard of) who makes a cassette SD card adapter that fits into the tape deck that's supposed to have great potential (good sound) but is very poorly made. You can put an SD card in it and just stuff it in the tape deck. They sell them on Fleabay and Amazon (search for "Cassette SD player" ... its the white one with the yellow and black ring). The reviews are self explanatory.....too bad Monster didn't go this route. I've thought about getting one and hacking it to fit into a better quality case.....they are cheap enough.

Have fun....

Last edited by NAmVet68; 07-25-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 01:47 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No experience with the GTA solution.

What most if us have installed is a Vaistech unit. Look at my link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-question.html

I installed these in both my SC430s. They work great.

I bought the units directly from the manufacture and had local Best Buy install them for $50 labor. They threw in a RCA to mini cable.

JR
Old 07-25-14, 09:20 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

No experience with the GTA kit, but I've tried iSimple, BlitzSafe, and almost all the eBay SC430 Aux items. But none worked as well (or at all) as the VaisTech SL3U. I highly recommend the VaisTech. Best choice by far! Price is unfair, but they have the market cornered for our cars.

Here's my build along with the DVDNAV intergrations I did...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-naviks.html

If you choose test out the GTA, please report your results. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the compatibility for pre2006 for the products I've listed, as I have a 2002 and none worked as well as the VaisTech.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-25-14 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 09:21 AM
jomo3640
Driver

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
I don't have any experience with the GTA kit, but actually, you would be surprised at how good that tape player is. It's audiophile quality (if you are familiar with the old Nakamichi cassette decks - its in the same class).

I'm an old fart, so I still have a pretty decent collection of cassette tapes (including a bunch of Master Recordings) and to be honest, the tapes sound BETTER than the CD player! Even my wife (who is no audiophile) always wants to listen to the tape player instead of the radio or CD.....with the right quality tapes, it's amazing. If you try playing some old cassettes that sat in someones car for a few years...not so much.

That being said - until you find a good AUX-in/ iPhone connection - get the Monster Cassette adapter (Google " monster cassette adapter" - I got mine at Wal Mart for under $20) and use the headphone jack of your iPhone/iPod/MP3 player. Don't bother with the cheaper cassette adapters, they don't have the same audio quality as the Monster version. If you are into Audio at all, you are familiar with the Monster brand.....good stuff.

Since the tape deck is such high quality, you will be surprised at how good the sound is. The only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes there's a little rattle coming from the tape deck sprockets when it's between songs....but you only notice it when driving slowly because the SC has such a quiet cabin. It's not the most elegant solution (with the wire laying about), but the sound coming out of my old iPod is as good as in my wife's VW CC with the iPod interface....maybe better. Best $20 I've spent - Worth every penny.

There's also a Chinese company (only one I've heard of) who makes a cassette SD card adapter that fits into the tape deck that's supposed to have great potential (good sound) but is very poorly made. You can put an SD card in it and just stuff it in the tape deck. They sell them on Fleabay and Amazon (search for "Cassette SD player" ... its the white one with the yellow and black ring). The reviews are self explanatory.....too bad Monster didn't go this route. I've thought about getting one and hacking it to fit into a better quality case.....they are cheap enough.

Have fun....
Based on your recomendation I replaced by $7 Cassette adaptor I have used the past three years (which sounded very good BTW) with the monster version, and it is GREAT!

Thanks
Old 03-18-15, 04:00 PM
biggy8133
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by NAmVet68

Have fun....

Great call on the Monster Cassette Adapter. I stand corrected with how good that simple product worked with the cassette player in the car!
It went beyond my expectations! Thanks for the very inexpensive and simple fix to playing music from Iphone or Ipod in the car!
Old 03-18-15, 06:31 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.gromaudio.com/
or
http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php
Seem pretty popular. I'm getting the VAIS this week and have used them in the past on an LS. They're great. The Grom seems good and is less expensive.
Old 03-18-15, 08:43 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I believe Grom is only posisble on 06+ models. While Vaistech would work on all models. Additionally, the cassette adapter is a good fix but just a little 90's in my opinion. I wanted to go for a bit more of a technological edge to bring the car into this decade, so I went with Vaistech SL3u and haven't regretted it at all.
Old 03-19-15, 03:15 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I believe Grom is only posisble on 06+ models. While Vaistech would work on all models. Additionally, the cassette adapter is a good fix but just a little 90's in my opinion. I wanted to go for a bit more of a technological edge to bring the car into this decade, so I went with Vaistech SL3u and haven't regretted it at all.
You're right but I think the OP has 2007 so Grom should still do the job. I'm with you 100% on the Vaistech!
Old 03-23-15, 01:13 PM
rjmcan
Driver School Candidate

Default Kit works great

I bought the kit and installed it in 2 hours. Just have to drill one hidden hole. I have it tucked in a corner of the console, out of sight. I have my ipod connected so I now have an additional 16gb of music to choose from. The only downside is you can't navigate thru your music via the system the way you would from the ipod screen. I just have it on random shuffle so I never know what's coming next. If you don't like a track you can easily move to the next track on the steering wheel controls or or the unit itself.
Old 03-23-15, 02:30 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rjmcan
I bought the kit and installed it in 2 hours. Just have to drill one hidden hole. I have it tucked in a corner of the console, out of sight. I have my ipod connected so I now have an additional 16gb of music to choose from. The only downside is you can't navigate thru your music via the system the way you would from the ipod screen. I just have it on random shuffle so I never know what's coming next. If you don't like a track you can easily move to the next track on the steering wheel controls or or the unit itself.
Yeah, that the case on the cars that don't have an audio button the Nav screen. My LS430 did and I could set all that stuff from the screen. If you think about it, without a display, there's no way an SC with stock head unit could do that. For that you'd need to go to the Beatsonic setup. Still, in the SC it's a pretty neat setup. Congrats on installing it yourself. I hate removing interior panels.
Old 10-27-15, 12:50 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Just thought I would bump this thread back to life as there's been recent discussions about audio upgrades for the SC. I once again stumbled onto the GTA Audio kit and just thought I'd throw it in here as another option to the VaisTech that's gained lots of popularity.Seems like this GTA Kit give bluetooth, ipod/iphone, and lots of other options vs the SL3U which only gave the an AUX input.