SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cleaning Ecru Interior w/ Success & Ease

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 07:27 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning Ecru Interior w/ Success & Ease

As I said in a previous... "Anyone who owns an SC with ecru interior knows how difficult it is to get it clean especially the seatbelts. If you drive most of the time with the top down, it doesn’t take long to start to turn black. I’m guessing it’s a combination of dirt & emissions (oil based) for other vehicles." when I was completely delighted with the results of cleaning my seatbelts. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...clean-now.html

During my recent upgrade I figured it would be easier to clean all the rear interior parts prior to assembly. I started with the rear side panels Windex, a scrub brush and muscle. The results were no different then when I cleaned them installed in the car. I then started searching around the house to see what other products that solve my cleaning issue. I saw the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers under the sink & thought... hummm they work great around the kitchen.

I used on side panels Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Windex & micro-clothe towel. The results were crazy pleasing. Without hardly any effort at all they gave the appearance of brand new. I also used this process on all plastic components.

I then had to tackle the rear leather seats... hummm, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers again? in an inconspicuous place (the lower seat side walls. they were grey with black staining) I used the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers applying Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner and lightly rubbing, then wiping with a micro-clothe towel. It went well enough that I did the entire back seat. Now it's cleaner then it has ever been.

I've had issues for some time with the leather on my Console Pad and will have to do the refinishing process I've read in this forum.

When cleaning my carpet, I use a BISSELL Spot Clean Complete Pet Handheld Deep Cleaner machine and sprayed Oil Eater Degreaser Cleaner in the tough spots. My carpet has never looked better. Even when I paid to have it cleaned, it didn't get as clean as it is now.

Best regards,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning Ecru Interior w/ Success & Ease-20140720_190403.jpg  

Last edited by Born2x; 07-20-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 07:40 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job. Good tips. Thanks
Old 07-22-14, 07:18 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go Dan! A job well done indeed sir... A job well done indeed...
Old 07-24-14, 04:40 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Born2x

Sent you a PM
Old 07-25-14, 04:42 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a word of caution.........

I work in R&D in the group that makes the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.............

When you use it, please understand that you are "sanding" away a small layer (a very, very, very, very small layer) each time you use it. There are no cleaning chemicals in the eraser, it works via capillary action and abrasion. There are a finite number of times you can use it on a leather surface before you will not be happy. I am not saying don't use it, I am saying use it sparingly.
Old 07-25-14, 09:09 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Taysdad

When you use it, please understand that you are "sanding" away a small layer (a very, very, very, very small layer) each time you use it. There are no cleaning chemicals in the eraser, it works via capillary action and abrasion. There are a finite number of times you can use it on a leather surface before you will not be happy. I am not saying don't use it, I am saying use it sparingly.
Thanks for that info,it's good to know. Although I have a black interior, I was planning on using this method to clean the pillar's & headliner of my Sc, since they are a very light color
Old 07-26-14, 10:01 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taysdad

Great advice! I did research the product and understood that it was an abrasive material. That's why I was so careful wiping it down. Appling the leather cleaner directly to the Magic Eraser and wiping lightly. My experience loosing the leather finish on the Center Console Pad has taught me to approach the leather cautiously. Also, as the leather gets more saturated with moisture, the leather finish becomes easier to damage. During my cleaning, there were time I stopped, let it dry, then continued.

I suspected the Magic Eraser being abrasive would also wear down the finish in time. But I figured I'll be restoring the leather finish in the future.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Best regards,
Dan