SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 sc430

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 12:02 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
Tell me though JR, do you miss the LS460 just a little?
I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. It was rarely driven. It remained in the garage at our second home. It's primary mission was used to go out to dinner with an elderly friend when we were in town. It was a depreciating asset that didn't make sense.

I do miss the awesome Levinson stereo and radar cruise control it had. It was great on the road.

We use the CT much more than I though we would. It's a great car for local running around for the 2 of us and the dog. It handles well, cools off quickly in the Florida sun and the optional Leather memory seats are much more comfortable than the Prius it replaced. I hated driving the Prius.

The SC430s are the fun cars.

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-22-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 04:16 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"We use the CT much more than I though we would. It's a great car for local running around for the 2 of us and the dog. It handles well, cools off quickly in the Florida sun and the optional Leather memory seats are much more comfortable than the Prius it replaced. I hated driving the Prius.

The SC430s are the fun cars."

Agreed. I would much rather own a Lexus Hybrid over a Prius myself. Hands down. Sad to see the LS460 go, but it makes economical sense if it was just sitting around not being driven much. You are absolutely correct by saying the SC430's are the fun cars. I will be cruising about town in mine this evening. (80 degrees, 5mph breeze, and not a cloud in the sky for the next 2 days..)
Old 08-06-14, 03:12 PM
memcnulty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 15k and my 2002. I am happy despite the conflict on the price, etc. Not a mark. Good luck with yours
Old 08-06-14, 03:28 PM
memcnulty
Driver School Candidate

Sorry,
I did not mean to seem like I am ignoring everyone, just have been busy and not on the site, I will post a proper reply hopefully with pics. No offense taken at all.
Old 08-07-14, 04:08 AM
memcnulty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
Congratulations on your new acquisition MEMCNULTY! I knew it wouldn't stay on the showroom floor past the weekend. Would you please share with the class how you were able to "seal the deal" in the low $20's... As stated above... Hahaha! (Rolling around pounding the living room floor with my fists with laughter whilst wiping a tear from the corner of my eye...). Sigh... We would all love to hear your negotiating tactics I'm sure. All kidding aside, I'm happy the 'Torch' got past on to another caring owner. ENJOY!
If anyone is still listening on this. I have been trying to decide whether to put money into upgrades and sprucing up my 2002 or getting at least a 2006 or later. Have been watching Cars.com, etc for low mileage later models. I had hoped to go to an 07 or 08. This '06 appeared on Cars.com the morning we were going to Annapolis for lunch. Only a factory pic and little info. They were asking 34k and I was thinking 15k and my car for a replacement. I have a black/saddle '02 with 61k. I love the combination. I bought it in 09, having to fly to Cleveland and drive it back.

The '06 was Matador Red with camel interior and a dark brown wood trim I had never seen before. In fact the combo seems rare. It also had the optional chrome TRD wheels with run flats. I had them on my '02 and replaced them with factory '10 spokes wheels. To be honest I was not immediately smitten with the whole package. I told them I would go to lunch and think about it and come back.

I came back and had begun to warm to the exterior/interior. It looked like they had just rolled it off the assembly line. Even had a new car leather smell. They came back with a decent trade
offer and a small discount. I acted pretty bored about the whole thing so I gave them my 15k and trade offer and they would need to swap the wheels. I was ready to walk, but after lots of moaning and whining.they agreed. Sad parting but deal done. Bonus was I had 3 bad tire pressure sensors. They swapped the new ones to the '06 and that save about $750 per Lexus dealer. I love the car and after almost 6 years driving an SC I still get excited driving it. The droptop is a bonus. I will work on getting pictures on.
Old 08-07-14, 08:49 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by memcnulty
If anyone is still listening on this. I have been trying to decide whether to put money into upgrades and sprucing up my 2002 or getting at least a 2006 or later. Have been watching Cars.com, etc for low mileage later models. I had hoped to go to an 07 or 08. This '06 appeared on Cars.com the morning we were going to Annapolis for lunch. Only a factory pic and little info. They were asking 34k and I was thinking 15k and my car for a replacement. I have a black/saddle '02 with 61k. I love the combination. I bought it in 09, having to fly to Cleveland and drive it back.

The '06 was Matador Red with camel interior and a dark brown wood trim I had never seen before. In fact the combo seems rare. It also had the optional chrome TRD wheels with run flats. I had them on my '02 and replaced them with factory '10 spokes wheels. To be honest I was not immediately smitten with the whole package. I told them I would go to lunch and think about it and come back.

I came back and had begun to warm to the exterior/interior. It looked like they had just rolled it off the assembly line. Even had a new car leather smell. They came back with a decent trade
offer and a small discount. I acted pretty bored about the whole thing so I gave them my 15k and trade offer and they would need to swap the wheels. I was ready to walk, but after lots of moaning and whining.they agreed. Sad parting but deal done. Bonus was I had 3 bad tire pressure sensors. They swapped the new ones to the '06 and that save about $750 per Lexus dealer. I love the car and after almost 6 years driving an SC I still get excited driving it. The droptop is a bonus. I will work on getting pictures on.

Good for you my friend! Well done sir! I love the 'Poker Face' not interested negotiation tactic. Worked out well for you. Enjoy it!
Old 08-11-14, 09:05 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations on your new ride, I talked to one of the salesman that works there he works out at the gym that I belong to and he told me what they gave them for that car on the trade in and it was sinful, I asked him if he could have bought it outright and he said YES man I would have loved to have done that. I fell in love with the color and condition but I could not justify trading in my 2005 with only 31,000 miles on it and having to annie up an additional $10,000-$15,000 dollars but enjoy your new ride, I see you black on on the lot for sale.
Old 08-11-14, 12:53 PM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost bought a 2007 with SADDLE leather... tell me how rare that is? You don't have to. It's the only one I've ever seen in my life. Must have been a special order or something, because for the most part, the saddle leather is super rare after 2005 models. It went for $32,260 within a week, sitting at a local dealership. They probably paid the people 26-28k for it on the trade. The thing had only 27k miles and it was mint/meticulous. showroom condition. Same situation, old couple who kept it as a garage queen. I regretted not buying it at full cost, but since finding my 07 PB edition with the red leather, I am glad I waited and saved a ton. These are Toyotas. an extra 40-50k miles is nothing, when they are well-maintained and responsibly driven.

34k for a showroom condition 06 is a little steep, but it's not too far off the mark, though.

Here is a smartphone shot of the 2007 w/ saddle (it wasn't camel or ecru, I am positive). I'm just glad I am done with my 1.5+ year long search... finding the specific color combos you want in SC430's isn't as easy as you might think.

2007 starfire pearl sc430 with saddle leather - very rare

Last edited by photalian; 08-11-14 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added image - photographic proof
Old 08-11-14, 04:31 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by photalian
I almost bought a 2007 with SADDLE leather... tell me how rare that is? You don't have to. It's the only one I've ever seen in my life. Must have been a special order or something, because for the most part, the saddle leather is super rare after 2005 models. It went for $32,260 within a week, sitting at a local dealership. They probably paid the people 26-28k for it on the trade. The thing had only 27k miles and it was mint/meticulous. showroom condition. Same situation, old couple who kept it as a garage queen. I regretted not buying it at full cost, but since finding my 07 PB edition with the red leather, I am glad I waited and saved a ton.
Saddle interior was available through 2007.

I traded my 2007 with Silver/Saddle SC430 in last week. Local Lexus dealer has it for sale for $41,991.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2365/overview/

Old 08-18-14, 10:00 AM
memcnulty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the congrats. I am beginning to love the exterior color
as well. IMO the camel is not as rich looking as the saddle. I am slowly
getting used to the dark brown dash and dark wood but I admit it is a
struggle. Other than having the trans fluid and brake fluid changed I
can't see anything to do other than enjoy it. The dealer put regular oil
in, which I will leave until 15k. I love this forum. It has saved me lots
of money and time. I will try to make more contributions. We have had
exceptional top down weather so life is good for a 70 year old.