Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Hi1 New to the Forum I have a strange issue!

Old 07-14-14, 02:34 PM   #1
gooffeeman
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Exclamation Hi1 New to the Forum I have a strange issue!

Greetings everyone!

My name is Carlo I am from Palatine Illinois a suburb of Chicago! I recently acquired a 2004 SC430, and the radio did not work. I purchased the radio kit from beatsonicusa.com and a kenwood DNX571HD. After the install was complete on the radio I also replaced the stock sub with a Polk Audio 840 DVC. But since the stock amp can not handle a dual voice coil set up, I am just running 4 ohms to the amp. But the issue I am having is the radio reception in the car. I knew I had install an aftermarket antenna since the stock antenna is data controlled. I put in a Metra 44UA20 which is an amplified antenna. I have the antenna mounted in the rear deck of the car behind the seats. So the antenna is "outside" when the top is down. With the top up or down, I get really bad reception. I tried plugging in the stock antenna plug with no success either. But when I take my metra antenna 2 feet up in the air or outside the car, I get great reception. Anybody have the same issue? does anyone have any ideas to what is causing this reception issue? I have a tire pressure sensor light on and the dealership told me that all 4 of the senor batteries are dead. Could it be that they are emitting some type of radio interference?

Thanks for Looking!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
gooffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:14 PM   #2
MDames2
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Not sure what you reception problem is. But if your sensor batteries are dead, I can't imagine they would be emitting anything.
MDames2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:15 PM   #3
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Are you talking about FM reception. If so FM channels work best at different heights of the antenna. The OEM antenna goes up and down depending on what channel you are tuning to. It does this automatically to get the best reception.

AM channels in my sc430 do not work well at all. In fact I find this to be so in all of my other cars. Years ago AM stations had more power that could explain why the dont perform well now

AM is amplitude modulation and FM is frequency modulation. Thats why the antenna works at different heights for FM
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:16 PM   #4
bacardi11
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

I use the polk 840 with focal1 amp to power the sub alone.
2002 Midnight Pine Pearl: Clear Corners Headlights with Duel Action Flashers Clear Corners Clear Led Front and Rear Markers Megan Racing Motor Mounts Swift Springs Bilstein Custom Front and Rear Shocks Dr Gas Exhaust TM Poly Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Poly Bushings Steering Front GS 28.6mm Solid and ISF Rear 17mm Sway 30% Tint 18" Work Rims Motorsport Tech Spacers Door Stabiliers Focal 1 Amp Polk db 840 Sub Dc Gold Front Speakers Trans Pressure Mod Gen4 Spare Tire Mod Sprintboost
bacardi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:33 PM   #5
gooffeeman
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblister View Post
Are you talking about FM reception. If so FM channels work best at different heights of the antenna. The OEM antenna goes up and down depending on what channel you are tuning to. It does this automatically to get the best reception.

AM channels in my sc430 do not work well at all. In fact I find this to be so in all of my other cars. Years ago AM stations had more power that could explain why the dont perform well now

AM is amplitude modulation and FM is frequency modulation. Thats why the antenna works at different heights for FM
I under stand FM signal works better in heights. But why do I get great reception outside of the car perpendicular to the rear deck or better yet out 2 feet away same height as the door. BTW AM or FM
Old 07-14-14, 03:54 PM   #6
mrblister
Lexus Champion

I cant explain it have you tryed a regular antenna not amplified with a booster
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 07:17 PM   #7
gooffeeman
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblister View Post
I cant explain it have you tryed a regular antenna not amplified with a booster
I just bought one at BestBuy....no success.
Old 07-14-14, 07:17 PM