Before I make a Big Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 01:35 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I make a Big Mistake

Okay:

I do not want to make more trouble for myself so I had better ask first.

I have taken my doors a part on my 2002 SC to see what shape my speakers were in as I was getting a terrible rattle sound from the door speakers. Found out why. When I went to take the door speakers out (the 6x9s) they practically crumbled as dust into my hands. So, I decided to replace the door speakers as I have already replaced the rear speakers with success.

SInce i am putting in a double din head unit I figured I wanted to replace the entire sound system. My question is this. I know I want to replace the factory amp. This has already been decided upon as I am tired of looking for 8 ohm speakers to meet my specifications. I want to know if I completely disconnect and remove the Marl Levison amp will I be messing something else up in the car.

Simply put, I want to yank the ML amp and put a new amp in its place. Can this be done without damaging or messing something else up in the car. Like I said I am replacing the head unit with aftermarket and so I am not interested in tying into any of the factory system or speakers. I am replacing everything. Someone please tell me that it is possible to completely remove the factory amp without locking up my steering wheels or disconnecting my lights or transmission
Old 07-12-14, 09:08 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the process of doing the same thing, replace all speakers, amp and head unit with aftermarket counterparts.

The only major thing that seems to be a common problem is to keep the stock nav working. For sure you'll lose the voice guidance. As far as keeping the nav & screen working, there seem to be a few workarounds. I am currently receiving lots of packages, and I think I'll start the actual install within the next two weeks.
Old 07-13-14, 05:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

There is a good thread on the sound system upgrade from VVTibob, do a search. Good luck.

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Okay:

I do not want to make more trouble for myself so I had better ask first.

I have taken my doors a part on my 2002 SC to see what shape my speakers were in as I was getting a terrible rattle sound from the door speakers. Found out why. When I went to take the door speakers out (the 6x9s) they practically crumbled as dust into my hands. So, I decided to replace the door speakers as I have already replaced the rear speakers with success.

SInce i am putting in a double din head unit I figured I wanted to replace the entire sound system. My question is this. I know I want to replace the factory amp. This has already been decided upon as I am tired of looking for 8 ohm speakers to meet my specifications. I want to know if I completely disconnect and remove the Marl Levison amp will I be messing something else up in the car.

Simply put, I want to yank the ML amp and put a new amp in its place. Can this be done without damaging or messing something else up in the car. Like I said I am replacing the head unit with aftermarket and so I am not interested in tying into any of the factory system or speakers. I am replacing everything. Someone please tell me that it is possible to completely remove the factory amp without locking up my steering wheels or disconnecting my lights or transmission
Old 07-13-14, 06:22 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAndyfig;

Before making my thread i had already read the rather lengthy post by VVTibob on his upgrade and I found it most enlightening. BUT it did not address my question because he did the exact opposite of what I am attempting to do. He kept his stock amp and speakers and plugged into his new Double Din via Bearsonics kit. I want to do away with the factory amp and the stock speakers. SO that is why I was asking in my three if it is safe to completely remove the stock amp w/o damaging anything else. Also I am niot interested in the factory navigation system from 2002.