SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone tried to soften ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 06:06 AM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I'm the guy who switched to the Michelin MXV4 225/55-17's. You'll be glad to know the switch has worked out perfectly. No more harsh ride. Much, much less road noise, With about 12,000 miles on the tires, they are showing no wear. My SC430 now rides and drives much like the car it replaced, a 2002 GS300. If there is a down side, it would be the tendency for the wheel surface finish to crack when hit by rocks. I guess that's the fleas which come with this puppy. Oh yeah, there's that coolness, hip thing. My SC430 seems to have dropped a couple points on the fashion police's trending "wheel-O-meter".

Would I do it again......absolutely. Do I recommend it to others.....Yes if they want a smooth riding, quieter ride with tires that can go 50k + miles. Are the "wheel Fashion Police" after me.......yes, yes, yes. Japanese proverb: It's the nail that sticks up that gets hammered down!
Old 07-15-14, 06:21 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm 71 and something don't look right to me. tires look to big but that's my opinion. I guess we all like different looks.

Last edited by bacardi11; 07-15-14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-15-14, 06:27 AM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics thombiz, pics! Where are the pix of this beauty!
Old 07-15-14, 06:35 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thombiz
Yes, I'm the guy who switched to the Michelin MXV4 225/55-17's. You'll be glad to know the switch has worked out perfectly. No more harsh ride. Much, much less road noise, With about 12,000 miles on the tires, they are showing no wear. My SC430 now rides and drives much like the car it replaced, a 2002 GS300. If there is a down side, it would be the tendency for the wheel surface finish to crack when hit by rocks. I guess that's the fleas which come with this puppy. Oh yeah, there's that coolness, hip thing. My SC430 seems to have dropped a couple points on the fashion police's trending "wheel-O-meter".

Would I do it again......absolutely. Do I recommend it to others.....Yes if they want a smooth riding, quieter ride with tires that can go 50k + miles. Are the "wheel Fashion Police" after me.......yes, yes, yes. Japanese proverb: It's the nail that sticks up that gets hammered down!
I'm not so sure the 17" wheels have much to do with the softer and quieter ride vs. it's a much higher profile tire with lots more cushion and perhaps a non directional tread pattern. I think if someone put a higher profile tire with non directional tread pattern on the original 18" wheels, maybe not quite so high, the effects would be similar.
Old 07-15-14, 06:54 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. But that's the point of the 17" wheels. It allows you to go with a higher profile tire and still fit in the wheel well.
Old 07-15-14, 07:19 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
Yes. But that's the point of the 17" wheels. It allows you to go with a higher profile tire and still fit in the wheel well.
My thought was that if some people are putting 20" wheels on their SC's there is a little wiggle room for a higher profile tire, even without spacers, etc.
Old 07-15-14, 08:43 AM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious, are the 2 pics I posted viewable on your screen? They are on mine.

I decided to ad another pic:

Last edited by thombiz; 07-15-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 11:49 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

yes they are.
Old 07-15-14, 12:55 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Can not wait for your DIY. Best of luck to you! I am planning on upgrading my suspension before I get a set of Michelins or Bridgestones. Am still on my Pirelli RF's!

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I have invested a lot of time and resources into softening the ride quality of my sc430. The 2002 is notorious for harsh suspension. You can read lots of other threads that have discussions about the unpleasant ride.

The first thing I did was take off the run flat tires. That made a huge difference. Over the past six years I have experimented with several tires. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the best for for ride quality and performance. They make a huge difference over the the Continentals and Pirellis I had previousely. The Michelins are expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. You can read the reviews on Tirerack, and they are rated number one for summer tires.

I am also investing in new suspension. I feel like the engineers of this 2002 sc430 model didn't get anything right. The suspension is not stiff enough to be a sports car and avoid body roll, but not soft enough to be a luxury car.

I just bought Tein Comfort Sport adjustable Coilovers the other day. I have done extensive research on these Coilovers, and emailed about a half a dozen Club Lexus members who own these and read numerous threads.

Of the people I have reached out to, and the threads I have read, most people say that Tein Comfort Sport is the best suspension item you can purchase for the 2002 sc430. I have not installed the Coilovers yet, but I will make sure to put a detailed thread once they are installed.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-14, 01:21 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm paying for the install, but I will make sure to do a through review of the Tein CS Coilovers with the functionality of the adjustable in cabin computer..
Old 07-15-14, 01:59 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

lexbrett
from what I understand they don't make an adjustable setup in the cabin of the 430sc.
Old 07-15-14, 06:45 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
lexbrett
from what I understand they don't make an adjustable setup in the cabin of the 430sc.
I think he's referring to the TEIN EDFC, I'm running this in and it sits right by left knee. I'm also running a TEIN CS setup and I couldn't be happier. Front and rear are adjustable up to 15 steps, this is the older version of the EDFC. The newer version might offer better adjustments.
Old 07-15-14, 09:56 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by reelbb
I think he's referring to the TEIN EDFC, I'm running this in and it sits right by left knee. I'm also running a TEIN CS setup and I couldn't be happier. Front and rear are adjustable up to 15 steps, this is the older version of the EDFC. The newer version might offer better adjustments.
..man i'm learning something new tonight, I hadn't heard of this Tein setup
Old 07-15-14, 11:49 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Down under, I have a 2005 SC 430, and like a number of club members, have been a bit underwhelmed by the ride of the SC430. The ride improvements that worked for me were:
* custom Bilstein shocks
* Firestone Z700 non run flat tyres

IMHO, the remaining issue is the stock springs. They are not compliant enough. As I intend to keep the car, I am going to hunt down a local spring winder.

I did try some recommended suppliers such as Swift springs a number of times by email, but no reply. What a way to treat one of the Allies................lol
Old 07-15-14, 11:55 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps another issue that seems relevant, is a TSB that involves loosening some rear suspension bolts, driving the car back and forward a couple of times, and then retightening the bolts. I don't know if it is a placebo effect, but the car rides much better. This helpful advice and service was from an Australian dealer in tropical Queensland.

I positive knock-on effect of the TSB fix, was a reduction of the 'chirps' from the roof when going over pot holes. Win/Win

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to soften ride quality?