SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 01:57 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?

OK, I know all about the ebake ground...did that. I know all about the supposed bypass relay for the radio itself... BUT HERE IS AN INTERESTED QUESTION and PLEASE PAY ATTENSION TO WHAT IS BEING ASKED: I have bypassed the e-brake, I have great video on my pioneer avh4000, I put a "line out" to the top screen and it works great, until you travel faster than 3 MPH !!! Then it jumps to navigation screen ??? So, I found the speed sensor wire and clipped it. So, now both screens work great at any MPH ( FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES !!!!!, then the top screen only Goes Blank...) This is a very advanced question, I don't know if anyone has every been here with a 1001-2004 Lexus SC 430. (2005-2005 are wired different) So, anyone know what is the issue now ? I hope some of my clubLexus brothers or sisters can help..............
Old 07-12-14, 05:18 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by BumpMaster
OK, I know all about the ebake ground...did that. I know all about the supposed bypass relay for the radio itself... BUT HERE IS AN INTERESTED QUESTION and PLEASE PAY ATTENSION TO WHAT IS BEING ASKED: I have bypassed the e-brake, I have great video on my pioneer avh4000, I put a "line out" to the top screen and it works great, until you travel faster than 3 MPH !!! Then it jumps to navigation screen ??? So, I found the speed sensor wire and clipped it. So, now both screens work great at any MPH ( FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES !!!!!, then the top screen only Goes Blank...) This is a very advanced question, I don't know if anyone has every been here with a 1001-2004 Lexus SC 430. (2005-2005 are wired different) So, anyone know what is the issue now ? I hope some of my clubLexus brothers or sisters can help..............
I got this from the BeatSonic website (see photo). When I had my MFD (Multi Functional Display) pulled out a few weeks ago, I did this to mine. I also bought BeatSonics Nav bypass and installed it in the trunk.

Best regards,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?-20140712_170835-1_1.jpg  
Old 07-12-14, 05:41 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by BumpMaster
I should also share...

I also installed the Pioneer AVH400NEX in my SC a few weeks ago. I've got Video going to the top screen with no problem. The only issue was with the head unit. Anytime you start a video (DVD) it want the operator to have the emergency brake on, release it, then put it on again, then select OK on the head unit. I didn't want to be doing that driving down the road, so I installed a momentary button switch to the emergency brake.

I ended up installing 3 switches for my entire stereo, Nav update & reverse/rear view camera. I wanted the button switches to look elegant in the car, so I lost the ashtray and reworked the unit to hold the button switches (see photo).

First button controls the Video source of the NAVTool for a rear view camera while driving down the road. hold it for 2 seconds and it goes back to the Gen4 NAV.

Second switch controls the automatic antenna. Since the stupid head unit brings it up all the time.

The third switch controls the emergency brake as explained previously.

Oh... I also forgot to tell you. With this head unit, you need to turn on the rear camera setting. This allows the DVD video to go to the top (MFD) & bottom (head unit) screens. to turn off the bottom screen, select which mode (HD radio, pandor ...) you desire the head unit to be in.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?-20140712_173642.jpg   How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?-20140712_173709.jpg  

Last edited by Born2x; 07-12-14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 07:17 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Very Much. That was really cool of you to take the time to scan an post that ! very cool ! I will go back and re-check my wires.
Old 07-13-14, 07:20 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

I grounded both sides of the PKB wire. Maybe that's the problem. I will only ground the side going INTO the Top screen. Thanks.
Old 07-14-14, 08:10 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Smile BIG PROPS TO BORN2X , You did it !!!!!!!

Thanks Born2X, I got it working beautifully thanks to you. It seems that jerimiah from Del rey custom audio gave me the wrong color wires on the back of the MFD display screen. I understand that they are a business and don't make any money giving out info, but just say I don't know.... instead of having a club member hacking into the wrong bundle behind the dash. wow. But thanks to brother Born2x, I got the right info and it all work great and I am so happy !!!! You are a good person, I just hope I can help you or someone else, to pay it forward !!! Thanks again !!!!
Old 07-14-14, 08:47 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Default Hidden micro switch Override bypass in ashtray

Hey Born 2, That ash-tray deal is really cool. I kept the original ashtray set up and was able to put a tiny micro switch in the upper corner area where the cigarette lighter goes. It's hidden and no one would find it unless I told them. Here's some pics of it. Thanks again, Bump.
Attached Thumbnails How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?-airsoft-for-ebay-113.jpg   How do you bypass the speed sensor so the top screen stays on video while in motion ?-airsoft-for-ebay-114.jpg  
Old 07-20-14, 10:10 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Your welcome BumpMaster...

Glad I could help. Although, I only shared what I read & of course did myself. Many people on this forum have shared some real amazing things, but when it's come to understanding and solving OEM things with the car, VVTiBob seems to always have the right answer.

You've explained your adding of a micro switch, but what's the switch do?

Just finished cleaning the rear interior and trunk parts, then assembled yesterday. Yeah! DONE! Immediately after, I showered and took a 3-4 hour drive up the coast.

Sorry I've not replied sooner, don't visit the Club Lexus but weekly at most.

Have a wonderful day & good luck with your major upgrade.

Best regards, Dan
Old 07-20-14, 04:31 PM
throw
Rookie

I am thinking of upgrading the 2002 430. Can I ask why did you both went with the pioneer and not the Kenwood or Alpine?

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx691hd/
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx891hd/
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w957hd/
Old 07-20-14, 06:28 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by throw
I am thinking of upgrading the 2002 430. Can I ask why did you both went with the pioneer and not the Kenwood or Alpine?

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx691hd/
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx891hd/
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w957hd/
throw...

I didn't go with a Pioneer initially. My first purchase was a top the line Sony. To my disappointment, the Sony didn't fit. It was very very tight in the back & the automatic door was far from shutting. The Sony is now going to go into my Rav4. I do plan to write a thread on what I've learned, although it's not going to happen real soon. So... I'll share the highlights with you.

I spent the next 3 days researching what radios people have installed and what their outcomes were. Luckily most of the installs in SC430's were Pioneer. What I learned from my research was out of all the stereo makers I looked into only Pioneer & Alpine (some didn't) gave a chassis depth and a nose (face) depth. All others only gave an overall depth, which doesn't help much when I wanted to ensure that the door shut properly. If your to go with another stereo maker other then Pioneer or Alpine, I would suggest to contact the maker and ask questions.

What my final search showed was a chassis depth of 6.5" fit well & a nose depth of .75 was nominal tolerance-wise. That means some fit & some didn't, but the stereos that didn't, the door needed another .020. All these stereos .75 face depth high point was at the bottom of the stereo. So... if the stereo had a high point higher (like a ****) it may fit, because there is more room as you go up the door face. I went with the .75 nose depth and had to open up holes & grind off pins to move back the stereo to allow the door to close properly.

I bought my Pioneer unit from Amazon ans checked the fit the day I got it. If it didn't fit, it was going back to Amazon the next day.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 07-20-14, 07:47 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan,

did you use the Beatsonic adapter? If no, did you connect the "system remote" blue wire from the Pioneer to both the amp-remote and the antenna?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-20-14, 08:00 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by editordz
Dan,

did you use the Beatsonic adapter? If no, did you connect the "system remote" blue wire from the Pioneer to both the amp-remote and the antenna?

Thanks,
Dan
Yes, I did use the BeatSonic adapter. The blue wire from the head unit did go to the antenna, but it went up anytime the head unit was turned on, not when only the radio was on. What I learned on the internet, all head unit makers do this. Why? I have no idea. Really stupid if you ask me. I seldom listen to the radio, and don't really want to wear it out. So, I added the the second switch to control it.

Regards,
Dan
Old 07-21-14, 06:17 AM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dan, The MicroSwitch is in lieu of the parking brake ground. Since the new Pioneer technology requires the ground be put on the radio AFTER the radio powers up you can't have just a permanent ground. They have it so you have to put your emergency brake on then release, then on again. The micro switch by passes all that nonsense. You could also do a relay for auto switching if you wanted but I like the manual switching. My Micro-switch does the same as your momentary switches. Mine is discreet, yours in futuristic ! Both are cool !
Old 07-21-14, 06:23 AM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Throw.......... the main reason I went with the Pioneer is because after reading all the reviews, Pioneer has the simplest, most straight forward stereo navigation screen on the market. Kenwood is notorious for having over complicated screen functions and what takes a tap on the touch-screen for Pioneer takes 3 to 4 steps on a Kenwood. Kenwood is nice to, but when your driving, who wants to have to pull over to go through the complicated screen functions just to change the station !!!