Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Cleaning Ecru Seatbelts DIY (amazingly clean now!)

Old 07-12-14, 02:22 PM   #1
Born2x
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Cleaning Ecru Seatbelts DIY (amazingly clean now!)

Anyone who owns an SC with ecru interior knows how difficult it is to get it clean, especially the seatbelts. If you drive most of the time with the top down, it doesnít take long to start to turn black. Iím guessing itís a combination of dirt & emissions (oil based) for other vehicles.

In Club Lexus I found little about cleaning, I did read about painting the leather, but the only success I read about was buying new seatbelts. I went online and researched how to clean seatbelts and I read some stupid stuff (using bleach), but I saw a continuing consistency of using degreasers. I was finally convinced this was the way I wanted to go after reading about Meguiarís Detailer Super Degreaser being used successfully with a power washer.

Iíve owned my SC for a little over 5 years and have never been able to get them looking acceptable. Today that ended! Iíve had my SCís trunk to dash dismantled for the last 8 weeks doing a whole lot of upgrades, repairs and cleaning. Hereís what I didÖ

1. Remove the rear seat completely (itís very easy to do. Mine of course was already gutted)

2. Unbolt the seatbelt on the end that attaches to the floor.

3. Pull seatbelt to its fully extended length from the retractable mechanism and use a small c-clamp to keep the seatbelt from retracting.

4. Place a plastic folding table next to the car. This will allow scrubbing further up the seatbelt.

5. Hanging the seatbelt over & out of the car on the table (I also placed a large towel over the interior. I had the top down).

6. Using a plastic scrub brush, scrub seatbelt on the table with the degreaser (I actually used Oil Eater Degreaser Cleaner).

7. Rinse with water from your garden hose. (I had to scrub the driverís side seatbelts twice, they were dirtier).

8. Place towels on your trunk lid and lay seatbelts on top to dry. Make sure the seatbelts are completely dry before letting them become retracted. You donít want deal with mold in the future.

9. Put everything back together.

The seatbelt's aren't perfect, but I don't think they've looked this good since the car was new.

Here is an after picture, sorry I didnít get a before photo (I think everyone knows how disgustingly filthy they get).
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

Born2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 03:07 PM   #2
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Nice write up !!
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:53 AM   #3
mandyfig

Finally! This is the way to clean and restore the retraction. I was lazy, I pulled out as much as I can and left the belt on woolite and warm water. It was hard to clean with the belts installed. Yours is the way to go.

I have to do the back belts. They are of a shade darker with dirt.
Old 08-03-14, 08:16 PM   #4
rxonmymind
Pole Position

Excellent. My wife asked me to do just this and summer time may just be the time to do it. Appreciate the write up.
rxonmymind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 09:46 PM   #5
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to 007

Great work !
Old 08-15-14, 12:22 AM   #6
Born2x
Rookie

Today I bought two gallons & a spray bottle of Oil Eater at Costco super cheep for future seat belt cleaning. There's an * on the pricing label... That means they don't have anymore stock.

Regards, Dan
Born2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 12:22 AM